6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2003 brand new 6.0 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Tvertiz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 brand new 6.0 won't start

We put a brand new 6.0 in the shop service truck at work. This is a f550. We put a egr delete while we were had the cab off. Put everything back together and now we cannot get it to fire. Will crank and crank but no fire.i have herd that the hpop can get a air lock and take a lot of cranking to get primed. Have herd that it needs at least 3 minutes of cranking time before it will start. I would guess we have about that much but not a lot over that. Not getting any rpm's during cranking. This was a ford factory motor and came with all sensors installed a
Ready. Not sure what direction to go now. Any help appreciated. Also the only code we get Is for throttle position sensor and we cannot get that to clear, but I don't think that is causing the no start.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:51 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are the ficm connections pushed all the way till you hear click,? do you have sync Cmp and Ckp? do you have power to the PCM?

Old 10-01-2014, 10:59 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
500 psi minimum needed from HPOP to start. Fresh Batteries. Welcome to FTE.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:23 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

Is the dash guage showing pressure? And fresh batteries... these things barely make the required 500 lbs start pressure with good batteries, mediocre ones won't cut it.
Do you have any diagnostics available...scanguage, or autoenginuity.
Not sure about this, someone can correct me, but I think a throttle position malfunction will still allow the engine to start, but will cause a forced idle.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:31 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Yep some kind of Gauges to Monitor Values would be Helpful like ICPV, IPR ICP, FICM.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:29 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
With no RPM showing up I would start with checking the FICM
connectors like already be said. Next I would make sure all the
grounds are in and none of the harness connectors got missed.

What are you using to scan with and will it read live data?

Sean

Old 10-02-2014, 07:29 AM
Tvertiz
New User
We are using a jump box that is capable of both 24 and 12 volt in addition to battery's, so it turns over really fast. Pretty sure all connections are made but will check a 4th time. I will see if I can check some these other things today and get back with ya tonight. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:19 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tvertiz
We are using a jump box that is capable of both 24 and 12 volt in addition to battery's, so it turns over really fast. Pretty sure all connections are made but will check a 4th time. I will see if I can check some these other things today and get back with ya tonight. Thanks.
Was it running before you tore it down to replace the engine? Have you verified the fuel pressure? The F-550's have steel tanks that are known to delaminate and plug the pick-up screen in the tank and fuel filters. But you need to resolve the no RPM problem first as the PCM will not command the FICM to fire injectors until it knows what the engine RPM's are. It could be a faulty CKP ( crank shaft position sensor ) or a problem with the harness.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Poor'it in'her
Senior User
Definitely check CKP and PCM CONNECTION, THAT'S WERE I'D Start.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Tvertiz
New User
Originally Posted by mustang_309
Was it running before you tore it down to replace the engine? Have you verified the fuel pressure? The F-550's have steel tanks that are known to delaminate and plug the pick-up screen in the tank and fuel filters. But you need to resolve the no RPM problem first as the PCM will not command the FICM to fire injectors until it knows what the engine RPM's are. It could be a faulty CKP ( crank shaft position sensor ) or a problem with the harness.
Yeah it was running real rough when we decided on the new motor. We had just put 5000 into it less than 3000 miles ago and now they said it needed the same stuff, so we decided on the new motor. I am trying to get software installed on my code reader so I can get some live data but not having much success with that. I am starting to suspect a harness issue because this has been worked on a lot and it shows in a lot of the connections. I checked the voltage on the ficm with the key on and during cranking and it checked ok.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
What are you suing to scan it with?

It may just be less work to stop at
someplace like Autozone and pick up
a SGII to read the live data.

Maybe doing a wiggle test can help.
Just do one thing at a time and check.
In other words you don't want one thing
to fix it and the other to unfix it.

Sean

Old 10-02-2014, 09:26 PM
firedaniel
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
i agree check your crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor harness connections. It has to see minimum of 100rpm before it can start.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Tvertiz
New User
Originally Posted by Yahiko
What are you suing to scan it with?

It may just be less work to stop at
someplace like Autozone and pick up
a SGII to read the live data.

Maybe doing a wiggle test can help.
Just do one thing at a time and check.
In other words you don't want one thing
to fix it and the other to unfix it.

Sean
Probabally would be less work to just buy a new scanner from autozone, but I got a scanner that works with my iPhone and I really want to figure out how to make the best use of it.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I am starting to think that you may need something with more power and abilities
than just the phone app type of tool. Do you have power at the OBDII plug?
It would be nice if you had the ability to trigger some of the self tests with a scan-tool.

If you are going to be working on this a lot. You may want to look at something like
the AutoEnginuity Enhanced Ford Expansion - Riffraff Diesel Performance
Ford Module List

EEK I forgot you working on a F550 and they can use a different system.
This might be part of the problem that your having with the scan tool that
you are using. I would check with Clay over at Riffraff to make sure that
this will fit your needs.

Sean

Old 10-03-2014, 12:50 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Not to long ago we had a guy with the same no start condition, he pulled his drivers side battery and the plate it sat on, the harness was smashed in-between the plate and almost cut into. it was the Cam shaft harness and they do have a replacement pigtail for it. but you really need to make sure you have sync and power to the PCM a Scan Gauge will give these readings along with V-ref 4.95 . be careful with cranking to long as that will burn out the starter and ware down the Battery's , Load test each Batt separate and check the FICM LP VP .

Quick Reply: 2003 brand new 6.0 won't start