1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 USARMY F100 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 11:41 AM
eapiii
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1955 USARMY F100 Questions

Hey all,
I recently came across a 1955 Ford F100 that is a dark blue color that appears to be painted over an olive drab, with the faint "US ARMY" letters coming through on the passenger door. The color code on the rating plate is simply "S", which someone has since posted on another thread and said that "S" AND"SS" were both used for special order, but is there a way to find out the color code for that olive drab that would have been used in 1955?

The serial number on the rating plate is *F10D5A-#####*, which I believe means 1955 F100 built in ATL with the 6 cyl, correct?

The transmission also says 3STD, which I can't find anywhere and was wondering if that would have also been special order by the ARMY.

There is also a plate in the middle of the dash with information containing a 'Contract Number', 'Ordnance Stock Number', and a 'US PROPERTY', which leads me to believe it is a legit USARMY truck. The truck is local here in Huntsville, AL which is near the Redstone Arsenal, making it more believable to be an ARMY truck.

Thinking of doing some type of customization, but want to kind of pay homage to the USARMY if there is a way to know for sure that it was used by the USARMY.

Any advice on these topics would be beyond appreciated!!

Thanks a lot,
EAPIII

Old 10-01-2014, 12:16 PM
carbs & chrome
Senior User
F10 = F100
D = I6/223
5 = 1955
A = Georgia, Atlanta
##### = Production Sequence
3(STD) = 3 speed standard
3HD = 3 speed heavy duty
3OD = 3 speed overdrive
S / SS = Special Order

Most publications list only 3 and no STD. Also they usually say it was SS until 1955 and only S after that. This can cause a lot of debate, but these plates were stamped by different people in different plants and I doubt standards were that highly enforced. I'd be confident in the above break down.

As far as the code for the olive that would probably have to be researched through government paint chips - it wouldn't have been a Ford number / color. Try a few sites like:

Olive Drab Paint for Military Vehicles

or

Rapco Paint Descriptions & Recommended Uses!!! NEW

Old 10-01-2014, 12:20 PM
carbs & chrome
Senior User
BTW, do you have any pics of the truck?

Old 10-01-2014, 01:26 PM
eapiii
New User
Thanks for all the input on both posts, C&C. I just figured out how to make my own thread here, so I figured it would be more helpful to start a fresh one. Your input is definitely greatly appreciated!!

I currently do not have any pics of the truck, but plan on getting some this weekend when we get some tires on it to get it rolling, and will be more than happy to email some pics.

I'm looking to customize/ratrod it, but would like to pay homage in some way to it being a USARMY truck, and what better way than with at least original paint color.

Thanks again,
EAPIII

Old 10-01-2014, 01:38 PM
carbs & chrome
Senior User
There was a survivor '55 Army truck in a salvage yard here. The owner of the yard kept saying he wouldn't sell it. Last time I was out there someone had cut the roof and top of the doors off...

Another cool one I saw was a Dept Of Indian Affairs. That whole truck was sold to someone though.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:18 PM
eapiii
New User
Yeah, I know I want to chop it about 4-4 1/2 inches and lower it (possibly bag it, not sure which yet), but if I can get down to the original paint color, I think it'd be awesome. I was trying to find the best way to strip the paint that's on there now(which I'm not sure how old that paint is), while also trying to preserve the original paint to possibly just clear over the original.

Any ideas or recommendations on that from anyone?

-EAPIII

Old 10-01-2014, 04:49 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by eapiii
Yeah, I know I want to chop it about 4-4 1/2 inches and [B]lower[/B] it (possibly bag it, not sure which yet), but if I can get down to the original paint color, I think it'd be awesome. I was trying to find the best way to strip the paint that's on there now(which I'm not sure how old that paint is), while also trying to preserve the original paint to possibly just clear over the original.

Any ideas or recommendations on that from anyone?

-EAPIII
Your plans to b@stardize that old military truck while keeping a military theme probably will not go very well with a lot of old military guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but it is your truck.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:24 PM
eapiii
New User
Originally Posted by raytasch
Your plans to b@stardize that old military truck while keeping a military theme probably will not go very well with a lot of old military guys,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but it is your truck.
Thanks for that input, ray. These are the kinds of things I wanted to hear when posting on here. Preciate it!

Old 10-01-2014, 10:42 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Here is an old Air Force truck that was mildly rodded. I don't remember if the pictures came from here or from the steelsoldiers forum.

Edit: I've added the military ID tag for eapiii to reference.

Attached Images    

Last edited by EffieTrucker; 10-02-2014 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Added military ID tag picture.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:07 PM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
Here is an old Air Force truck that was mildly rodded. I don't remember if the pictures came from here or from the steelsoldiers forum.
I love old military vehicles. This one, while rodded, is mild enough so it shouldn't be too terribly offensive. I had the chance to buy a 57 chevy 4 door that was a US army car at one point. Cool car and history but oh so rusted out. Oh how I hate what Minnesota does to old iron.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:50 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
As a "Lifer" (i.e. 36 years in the Army) I'd say any tribute to the military is better than none. If it's your truck make it how you want it and drive the wheels off of it enjoying it.

The DATA plate on the dash is a dead give away it's a military vehicle. Red Stone as well as most bases had civilian vehicles ordered by the military to use mainly for local and base operations.

You're in luck for the color. The Army used the same color Olive Drab (aka OD green) up into the early 70s for most vehicles. Occasionally you would see a special vehicle or sedan in gloss Olive. Back then all the lettering (on the hood, doors, etc) were white.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  53.1 KB
The idea of leaving the patina of the original as pictured above on the Air Force vehicle is pretty cool. Too bad yours has another color over the original color.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:22 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,611 Likes on 1,455 Posts
Please don't chop it.... other modernizations like drive train updates and brakes in my mind is OK but once you've chopped the top you have changed it forever and it won't look like the military truck that you want to honor.

But as was said earlier, its your truck and you can do what you want with it!

Old 10-02-2014, 01:52 PM
eapiii
New User
Thanks for all the responses! Unfortunately, my truck is in worse shape than the old AF truck shown, especially in means to the color(great pics by the way). Mine definitely looks like it was used mainly around Redstone Arsenal, and then painted over, possibly by the military. You can barely make out where it said US ARMY at some point in time, but its very faint kind of coming through the blue that was painted over it. I do plan on lowering it, much like the AF truck, but still debating on chopping the top a few inches. It's going to be a long restoration, so I have plenty of time to wrestle with my thoughts and do more research.
I am definitely planning on updating as much as I can, but will know more about any customization's once we get it running, and we are able to lay out some plans to move forward from there.

I'll try and send pics to those interested this weekend when I plan to put some wheels and tires on it so that i can get it rolling.

Thanks again y'all!

Old 10-02-2014, 05:16 PM
carbs & chrome
Senior User
You can post pictures here by using the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the text box. It is the yellow square with the mountains.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:50 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Curious as to if you plan to hot rod the truck why it matters if you paint it the exact shade of OD used in 1955? Military vehicles are repainted frequently (sometimes as often as every couple months depending on use and the whim of the brass) at the assigned motorpool with whatever shade of OD paint available in the current supply chain at that moment.

Quick Reply: 1955 USARMY F100 Questions