6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Any custom tunes besides 5 star?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 09:26 AM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Any custom tunes besides 5 star?

I have a 14 F250, about 10,000 miles so far. I installed a lift kit and 37s plus the tuner at 4000. The 5 star tunes helped the throttle response a lot but the shifting has some left to be desired. I had revised tunes sent that were better. My major concern was with every tune I would get a 2-3 shift flare and occasionally 3-4 when I would do a hot start. Never did it stock and goes away when it's returned to stock. The converter unlocks too quickly and stays unlocked a long time. Lots of hills in the area so the converter in and out all the time gets old. Looking for suggestions on a different tuning to try before I toss the tuner all together, it's been returned to stock for a while now and drives fine.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I think you answered your own question. The tunes are not for everyone. Since returning to stock, my truck drives s lot better and the choppy shifting and the 2-3 flaring has gone away. The truck knows when it needs to work and when it doesn't. Let the truck work not your wallet. If you like the tuner, keep it, it's a good product, just not for me.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:00 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
The only reason I bought the tuner was to correct the speedometer. It still doesn't read right. I liked the better throttle response but I don't care for it tearing up the transmission. Someone on here might pick a tuner up cheap in the near future

Old 10-01-2014, 06:06 PM
GSSF17
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by projectnitemare
The only reason I bought the tuner was to correct the speedometer. It still doesn't read right. I liked the better throttle response but I don't care for it tearing up the transmission. Someone on here might pick a tuner up cheap in the near future

Tuned truck owner and could not be happier. No flares here. No slams, no garbage shifting, and it is WAY better than stock. Stock transmission shift strategy is nothing short of a hot mess, IMO.

Tearing up the trans? Please elaborate........

Old 10-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Rubiconrod
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 14 F250, about 10,000 miles so far. I installed a lift kit and 37s plus the tuner at 4000. The 5 star tunes helped the throttle response a lot but the shifting has some left to be desired. I had revised tunes sent that were better. My major concern was with every tune I would get a 2-3 shift flare and occasionally 3-4 when I would do a hot start. Never did it stock and goes away when it's returned to stock. The converter unlocks too quickly and stays unlocked a long time. Lots of hills in the area so the converter in and out all the time gets old. Looking for suggestions on a different tuning to try before I toss the tuner all together, it's been returned to stock for a while now and drives fine.
I used these guys for my 2012 F150 5.0L: MorePowerTuning.com SCT F150 Ecoboost Tuner | Ecoboost Performance | Ecoboost thermostat | F150 Tuner . I used 5 star for my 2013 F250 6.2L. I realize it's not an apples to apples comparison but really happy with my 5 star tune. While the 2-3 shift seems a bit firmer, I really like this 87 perf/tow tune. Going to tow my 11k fiver Friday for the first time with the tune.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:15 AM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
The major thing is the flare. That burns clutches. Even with the tow tune the converter stays unlocked a lot. Unloaded not a big deal but towing I don't care for it and that makes heat. I tried the tuner before the lift to see what the difference would be and it acted just like it does now. The diesel market has better tuning options for sure. I'm was basing the gas market to be the same. I'm the one of the few that feel that it's not for the better. I used to build transmissions professionally so I know what it should not be doing and I don't feel like doing a rebuild just yet.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:52 PM
saratoga2011
More Turbo
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I'm not a fan of the 5 star tunes' shifting either. When I first got the tunes, the idle speed was set too high, close to 900 and it would want to roll through the brakes if I didn't keep a lot of pressure on the pedal. He adjusted the idle back to stock for me which worked... adjusting the idle speed in the options on the tuner did nothing. Throttle response = great. Shifting I don't like.

On the 87 perf it sometimes slams into 3rd and always hunts between 4th and 5th seeing as I drive in traffic that varies between 40 and 45 which is annoying. Plus the converter doesn't lock until 50 with this tune. Mileage is definitely lower than stock (not a big deal to me).

The 87 eco tune shifts too early just like the stock 2011 I had. It wants to be in 6th with the converter locked at 40 and lugs the engine. The stock 2013 shifting is much better than that... it won't go into 6th until 45 unless I'm accelerating. Didn't leave this in long enough to judge any changes to mileage.

The 93 perf tune has shift points raised like the 87 perf tune only it shifts harder and will chirp the tires if you get into it. It's fun but impractical for everyday driving.

Haven't tried the tow tune.

Stock, the truck shifts fine- no flares, no slamming into 3rd just like another poster mentioned. I'm running the sct 87 strategy tune that comes with the tuner and I like it better than the 5 star tunes... mileage is the same as stock, it shifts normally without doing anything weird or unexpected, has a little more power and will hold 6th without downshifting better than stock. I am probably going to sell the tuner pretty cheap here shortly, it just wasn't what I expected.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:03 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
That describes exactly my issues. I has the idle problem too. I'd rather mine slam 3rd gear than flare. The act tune worked decent for me as well but I ditched it all together

Old 10-02-2014, 07:09 PM
GSSF17
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That describes exactly my issues. I has the idle problem too. I'd rather mine slam 3rd gear than flare. The act tune worked decent for me as well but I ditched it all together

This is so weird. I don't experience any of this with the 5 star tunes. I have tried eco and perf, no tow yet. Idle is at 600 and the gears grab solid and consistent. I drove from south central FL to middle GA and all around town and my property, and then back- no issues. Drove up there and around the farm/town in economy and then tuned to 87 perf on the way back. Put over 1200 miles on the truck in just 4 days. Awesome power and mileage was good (considering). Maybe I got lucky?

Old 10-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Rubiconrod
Senior User
Originally Posted by GSSF17
This is so weird. I don't experience any of this with the 5 star tunes. I have tried eco and perf, no tow yet. Idle is at 600 and the gears grab solid and consistent. I drove from south central FL to middle GA and all around town and my property, and then back- no issues. Drove up there and around the farm/town in economy and then tuned to 87 perf on the way back. Put over 1200 miles on the truck in just 4 days. Awesome power and mileage was good (considering). Maybe I got lucky?
I'm with you. Now have 500 miles since tuning and love it. No plans to go back to stock yet. Towing for the first time tomorrow. Maybe it has to do with the year of the truck?

Old 10-03-2014, 10:11 AM
saratoga2011
More Turbo
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I have a 2013. Can look to see what the ECM code is also.

This is what I put the 5 star on and had the issues with.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Amelio
Senior User

Nothing to do with your issue as my truck is all stock.......

But I am curious what running gear do you have?

I have 3.73's and was thinking of doing a leveling kit and running 35's I am really curious to how much it would affect the performance.

Your on 37's so that's 2 more inches....has the truck suffered in performance? also how bad did your mpg take a hit?

Sorry to change the subject but I have wanting to hear from lifted and bigger tire combos with the 6.2.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:21 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
You won't have a problem with 35s. The biggest factory tire is practically 35 inches. Most dealerships with re flash the computer to adjust shift points and the speedometer for that size. I have no problems with 3.73s and 37s. I towed about 5 500 lbs last weekend with no issue. My plan is to install 4.30s and that will put my about back to stock feel all around and help when i plan towing heavier. I'd go deeper but no aftermarket for the 37 spline pinion and I'm not sure if I want to try to retrofit the 31 spline into this axle.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Amelio
Senior User
You won't have a problem with 35s. The biggest factory tire is practically 35 inches. Most dealerships with re flash the computer to adjust shift points and the speedometer for that size. I have no problems with 3.73s and 37s. I towed about 5 500 lbs last weekend with no issue. My plan is to install 4.30s and that will put my about back to stock feel all around and help when i plan towing heavier. I'd go deeper but no aftermarket for the 37 spline pinion and I'm not sure if I want to try to retrofit the 31 spline into this axle.
Ok thanks.... I kinda felt that 35's would work just have not heard from anyone that has it with 3.73's Another member on here has 35's but he's got 4.30's

How bad was your drop 1-2 mpg?

Old 10-04-2014, 06:45 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I had a superchip laying around that I put in my 6.2. More power and it shifts great. I have 35s and 430 gears. It was easy to set up my speedo for the slightly larger 35s.

Quick Reply: Any custom tunes besides 5 star?