6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Any custom tunes besides 5 star?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 08:59 AM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
An update from my first post. I don't want to sound like "that guy" but I never called anyone or even looked for a different tuning outfit. The truck has been returned to stock for a while now with zero issues. I've seen suggestions to call and e-mail for revised tunes which I did do at the beginning. I still experienced every issue that someone had mentioned. Maybe I'm getting old or lazy but I just don't care be screwing with a new truck all the time to make it drive. The reason I bought the tuner was to delete the traction control, which I was told it would do; second to correct the speedo. It does neither of those. Doesn't matter how you calculate tire revs per mile, you can enter any number you want and it will still read the same. Not here to complain just an update to my experience. New gear sets will be going in soon which will correct what I needed. That's the moral of the story to anyone adding bigger tires. You want it to drive decent again you need gears. That was always the way I built older trucks and the newer ones are still the same whether it has a 6 speed auto and a ton of electronics or not.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:08 PM
devongarver
Tuned
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
I will chime in here...

There are other outfits that will tune these trucks, but most not as well as Mike. I have been running tuners in vehicles for over 10 years now. Almost every vehicle I have ever owned. There is no way I would ever consider driving my truck with out the tune. Seriously. I would rather drive a focus. The stock shifting strategies and throttle response are beyond horrible. They are about worthless for anyone other than a geriatric individual(which is fine-but I'm not that guy). Mike will definitely do his best to customize the tune as you want, and I can see he has employees working for him now, as they have responded to those of you having trouble in this thread. I have been running 87 perf. tune from Mike for more than 45,000 miles and about 4 years now. While the transmission may not act like a Passat...you have to remember...it's not a Passat. It's a heavy duty truck. The fact that they work as well as they do now is wonderful, I would never have expected this kind of performance 10 years ago. Anyway, I hope you get the tune resolved and get away from the crappy stock tune.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:32 PM
IKEA52
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Day All,

IMO avoid edge tuners. I installed one on my truck under the pretences from the manufacturer that I could enter my tire size and use the speedometer that's programmed into the tuner which was completely incorrect. When I contated there support number they said that feature was not available for my make and model of vehicle - 2013 Ford F-350.

As time passed I started to notice annoying things about it such as when your at a complete stop at an intersection and start going the gauges don't function immediately there is an approximate 8 to 10 sec delay. Then the winter months came and of course I used the remote start which activated the tuner and somewhere along the line tripped a check engine code that I had to clear using a code reader.

After I got that figured out I installed a CAI from Airaid and once that was complete I went to program the new air filter in to the tuner and low and behold they only had aFe listed for a choice. Again another contradiction in there statements when I contacted them before purchasing one when they stated they have all the major suppliers listed and programed into their tuner.

So of course I contacted there support desk and advised them of all the issues with the typical question of have I done all the online updates which I had. The next response was my deciding factor on the whole situation. Unfortunately we don't know what the problem is and are unsure how to assist you. IS there anything else we can help you with. WOW I had to just hang the phone up.

My next step is to contact 5Star and hopefully they are able to help me out.

Hopes this helps out someone and saves them from making the same mistake I did.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:01 AM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
Originally Posted by dontletoff
I would email 5 star. It wasn't 30 minutes and Mike replied with an updated tune based on what I wanted and to make it shift a bit different. Now I haven't had a chance to try it because the truck is put away for the winter, but I'm excited to give it a go.
I emailed Mike as was suggested and I guess he didn't like what I said on here as it has been almost a month and not a word. Oh well, it is not like I bad mouthed anything or anyone.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:21 PM
dontletoff
Freshman User
I wanted to voice some feedback. I hated the 93 performance tune when I first uploaded it as you can read in my previous comments. Mike ended up sending a 93 performance tune with a bit different shifting and I love it. The truck shifts amazing and still has the power. When I push the gas, it shifts. Love the updated tune and the truck sounds bad *** with the AFE stage 2 intake.

Thanks 5 star.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:38 AM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
Glad to see you are happy with the way 5 Star helped you out dontletoff, I am really disappointed with 5 Star and their customer service (or lack of). I bought 2 tuners from them and they could not be bothered to give me the time of day. I asked them about the shifting and no response and when my truck went goofy and I could not unload the tune all I got from them was "not sure" as an answer. I am going to get a tune from the company that did a tune for my Escape as they actually try and help people and all I ever bought from them was 1 tune file (I had very specific requirements for my Escape and they worked with me until it was exactly what I wanted).

Old 07-15-2015, 12:45 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
I wanted to voice some feedback. I hated the 93 performance tune when I first uploaded it as you can read in my previous comments. Mike ended up sending a 93 performance tune with a bit different shifting and I love it. The truck shifts amazing and still has the power. When I push the gas, it shifts. Love the updated tune and the truck sounds bad *** with the AFE stage 2 intake.

Thanks 5 star.
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback! We're happy to revise and update any tune to get it to your liking. How I like my vehicle to shift may be completely different from where you want yours. Happy to dial it in so you can enjoy your power!

Chris

Old 07-15-2015, 04:09 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JohnnyThunder
Glad to see you are happy with the way 5 Star helped you out dontletoff, I am really disappointed with 5 Star and their customer service (or lack of). I bought 2 tuners from them and they could not be bothered to give me the time of day. I asked them about the shifting and no response and when my truck went goofy and I could not unload the tune all I got from them was "not sure" as an answer. I am going to get a tune from the company that did a tune for my Escape as they actually try and help people and all I ever bought from them was 1 tune file (I had very specific requirements for my Escape and they worked with me until it was exactly what I wanted).
Unsure on whom you sent to emails to Johnny. Send me an email with any changes you would like done (for any given tune) and I will get the the changes made for you. My apologies you were not taken care of earlier!

chris@5startuning.com

Chris

Old 07-15-2015, 07:43 PM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm still debating on getting a tune. The only reason I would to improve the mpg. I know its a super duty but has anyone run the 5 star tune and seen an improvement in mpg.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:29 AM
JohnnyThunder
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordmdb
Unsure on whom you sent to emails to Johnny. Send me an email with any changes you would like done (for any given tune) and I will get the the changes made for you. My apologies you were not taken care of earlier!

chris@5startuning.com

Chris

Chris,

I sent you an email, thanks for responding. I do appreciate it.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:07 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JohnnyThunder
Chris,

I sent you an email, thanks for responding. I do appreciate it.
I've got your tunes in queue making the changes you requested. Happy to help!

Old 07-29-2015, 04:53 PM
dontletoff
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Strokin-A-2010
I'm still debating on getting a tune. The only reason I would to improve the mpg. I know its a super duty but has anyone run the 5 star tune and seen an improvement in mpg.
I get tunes for a couple reasons, hp & tq, and hoping it is better than the crappy stock tune. I really wished someone provided a service where you datalog and send back the datalog, tuner adjust the tune according to the datalog, until the truck is where it should be, that is truly custom tuned.

With that said the tune is nice, but in the heavy SD trucks, it is hard to tell the difference. I would definitely not say it is night and day. Also I am always on the gas so as far as seeing if the MPG is better I could not tell you. I wish there was a way to get some low end tq to pick up in these trucks. Got in a Chevy 6.2 the other day.......wow. Not a fair comparison as that was only a 1500.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:53 PM
dontletoff
Freshman User
Ok so fellas, not sure if this is the tune and the changes to shifting or the truck itself, any help would be appreciated.

When the truck is cold, and pull out of the driveway and get on the gas easy, not horsing it but regular acceleration, the truck starts to shift and then a soon as it shifts, the truck goes in a false neutral, I am still on the gas and all it does it rev and no more acceleration. I let off the gas and it goes back into gear and accelerates again. It did this once at operating temperature and at full throttle and I had no clue what was going on. Has this happened to anyone else with the 5 star tune. I am running 93 performance. This is the primary concern.

Also what happens is when I am driving now, in all gears, I am driving normal, I give the truck a little gas to accelerate for a few seconds, then when I let off the gas, the truck feels like it keeps pulling, then the rpms finally back off. overall the truck doesn't seem to do what I am telling it to do. I let off the gas and the damn thing has rev hang big time. Not sure how much it is the tune or not but not loving the truck ever since the tuner. I thought I really liked it but man seems the truck has nothing but problems with it.

any help would be great.

Thanks,

Old 08-30-2015, 11:16 PM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok so fellas, not sure if this is the tune and the changes to shifting or the truck itself, any help would be appreciated.

When the truck is cold, and pull out of the driveway and get on the gas easy, not horsing it but regular acceleration, the truck starts to shift and then a soon as it shifts, the truck goes in a false neutral, I am still on the gas and all it does it rev and no more acceleration. I let off the gas and it goes back into gear and accelerates again. It did this once at operating temperature and at full throttle and I had no clue what was going on. Has this happened to anyone else with the 5 star tune. I am running 93 performance. This is the primary concern.

Also what happens is when I am driving now, in all gears, I am driving normal, I give the truck a little gas to accelerate for a few seconds, then when I let off the gas, the truck feels like it keeps pulling, then the rpms finally back off. overall the truck doesn't seem to do what I am telling it to do. I let off the gas and the damn thing has rev hang big time. Not sure how much it is the tune or not but not loving the truck ever since the tuner. I thought I really liked it but man seems the truck has nothing but problems with it.

any help would be great.

Thanks,
And this is why I'm very hesitant on getting a tune.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:55 AM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I had pretty much the same problems from day one. It did that on all the tunes except the preloaded sct ones. The huge shift flare between 2 and 3 is what made me return to stock and leave it there. Like you said it was like going into neutral. I bought it to correct the speedometer and for some reason it can't do that either. You can input any option and the speedometer still works exactly the same

Quick Reply: Any custom tunes besides 5 star?