6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

HPFP failure on 2011 F250

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 09:29 PM
Stateline420
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HPFP failure on 2011 F250

HPFP failed at 100,000 miles. Been in the shop for four weeks at about $10,000, for new fuel system kit. What can be done to
prevent this from happening again to new system?

Old 10-01-2014, 12:30 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Why did it fail? Sometimes you can do nothing, besides at a certain point, just changing the HPFP out itself. Sometimes better fuel filtration for water. Sometimes it is because someone put something in the tank, like DEF, that shouldn't go in there...

Old 10-01-2014, 05:11 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
I had a VCV go bad on my 6.4. VCV is in the HPFP.

There is nothing that I could have done to prevent it.

There was no water or anything.

How many hours were on the motor?

Old 10-01-2014, 05:37 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Was there fuel contamination? Was there any warranty help at all? Did you have an extended warranty?

Were you able to get your home/auto insurance to cover it?

Old 10-01-2014, 11:53 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
How often did you drain your water separator?

Old 10-01-2014, 02:49 PM
rrthor
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has any one ever seen a video on replacing the fuel pump. I have an extended warranty on my truck and at the end of that period I would not have a problem paying for the parts to replace it. I don't think you would need any special tools or have do anything requiring software tools.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Looking for one and not having luck. I can't imagine it being all that difficult to do either.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Stateline420
New User
Folks, there was no contamination to fuel that I'm aware of. And no explanation as to why the HPFP failed. I drain Water separator every oil change and warning
Ought has never come on. My understanding is the HPFP's are going out at about 70k, mine made it to 110,00. The problem as I understand it is that when it goes out, it dumps all the trash in the fuel system, causing the entire system to need replaced. About a 10k charge. I understand that even under warranty Ford is not covering it, claiming "water in the fuel". I fill up consistently at the same place unless on the road. So there was nothing out of the ordinary. The truck is paid for so I want to keep it. I'm just looking for a solution to keep this from happening again when the HPFP fails. I've been told to put an airdog2, get rid of the smog BS, install a tuner or chip & DPF kit.
Your input is appreciated!

Old 10-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Stateline420
New User
Another ? Under what claim will an insurance pay for this? I've seen a couple of post where folks have had the insurance company cover it.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:21 PM
n3hcp
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stateline420
Another ? Under what claim will an insurance pay for this? I've seen a couple of post where folks have had the insurance company cover it.
I haven't had the problem and hope I never do, but just to find out I checked with my agent. While I was in the office the agent called the company (Erie) and she was told that Erie will pay for the fuel system replacement IF I can prove the failure was caused by "contaminated fuel". I will need documentation, form Ford preferably, or the repairing dealer.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:28 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Comprehensive. Need to see what Ford says first though.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:29 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
've been told to put an airdog2, get rid of the smog BS, install a tuner or chip & DPF kit.
The Airdog is the only suggestion here that would make any difference to the HPFP. The idea is that better filtration would prevent a failure. In your case, without evidence of fuel contamination, I think it's likely that low lubricity killed your pump slowly rather than contamination. In that case you could have had the best filtration system known to man installed since day one and it would have still killed your pump. Filtration can't add lubricity.

Your pump doesn't care whether or not you have emissions controlled, and it also doesn't really care if you are tuned or not. It simply takes fuel delivered to it under low pressure and pumps it to the rails at high pressure. Emissions controls have nothing to do with that.

I would suggest routinely using a fuel additive to increase fuel lubricity. By law ULSD is supposed to be treated before it ever gets to the fuel pump for sale, but that's not always the case and the treatment isn't always very effective. By treating every single tank you know that the fuel going into your pump is of sufficient quality to properly lubricate it.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:37 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
<p>Bro dont pay that!!! You can save yourself a bunch of money. Call White Bear Lake Ford Parts and ask for Pat. Their prices on parts are much lower than anybody else in the United States. They also have a great deal on overnight shipping. They only charge 10% over what it costs them from Ford!!! I have saved my buddies thousands, be one of them. The fuel injectors are what's costly here. The fuel pump isn't too expensive.You will also get your money back on the core charges unlike if you buy from your dealership!!

Old 10-03-2014, 06:44 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Folks, there was no contamination to fuel that I'm aware of. And no explanation as to why the HPFP failed. I drain Water separator every oil change and warning
Ought has never come on. My understanding is the HPFP's are going out at about 70k, mine made it to 110,00. The problem as I understand it is that when it goes out, it dumps all the trash in the fuel system, causing the entire system to need replaced. About a 10k charge. I understand that even under warranty Ford is not covering it, claiming "water in the fuel". I fill up consistently at the same place unless on the road. So there was nothing out of the ordinary. The truck is paid for so I want to keep it. I'm just looking for a solution to keep this from happening again when the HPFP fails. I've been told to put an airdog2, get rid of the smog BS, install a tuner or chip & DPF kit.
I suspect you have been using bad fuel. You state above "I drain it ever oil change and warning." I have never had a warning come on for water in the fuel in over 100000 miles now.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:13 AM
WildWildWest
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by capt caper
I suspect you have been using bad fuel. You state above "I drain it ever oil change and warning." I have never had a warning come on for water in the fuel in over 100000 miles now.
The OP actually stated that he has never had a WIF warning on the truck. Just drained on oil changes. I change oil every 3 months because of mileage and drain the separator once in between. Never had a WIF light and HPFP gong strong at 120,000 miles. I do add Ford cetane additive to every tank or second tank of fuel. I think it's more than likely a fuel lubricity issue rather than contamination. But I also change my fuel filters every second oil change. Too many people don't do this often enough either in my opinion.

Quick Reply: HPFP failure on 2011 F250