Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

chip to increase mileage running veggie?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 09:41 AM
klindamood
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chip to increase mileage running veggie?

ho forum, i have a 1993 F350 long bed, crew cab 4x4 with aftermarket banks turbo that i run WVO in and i have teased the mileage up to about 15 from 13 by setting the injector pump wide open but of course, even though the veggie is really cheap, i would love to get more out of it. recently a guy claimed that a bulldog superchip would raise my mileage up into the 20's, which i would love but which i am skeptical of. anybody have any thoughts on that? or any thoughts on something else that might get me a little farther down the road? thanks, KL

Old 09-30-2014, 09:44 AM
sjwelds
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude there's no computer on your engine. a superchips would be a $400 toy sailboat anchor.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:59 AM
Forddiesel17
Senior User
^^^what he said.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:54 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
And even if you could run a chip, it's a WVO best practice (Dating back to the times of the Frybrid Forum) to not do those type of performance mods on your rig. People end up with disastrous results.

If MPG is your goal, try some of the following. Synthetic gear oil, run a more efficient highway axle, more efficient torque converter, alum driveshaft, bigger LRR tires, Aftermarket overdrive, and other things in my sig.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:22 PM
klindamood
New User
chip to increase mileage running veggie

thanks to all who replied, somehow i thought maybe there was a place for a chip since i have had mechanics plug in to read/analyze trouble codes.
and genscripter -- as far as a more efficient hwy axle, is it possible to pop the cover and re-gear the rear end for more long-leggedness, or is it easier/cheaper to swap an entire axle? if axle, what axle? if i can swap out some gears, give me an idea on a ratio for those? (i live in central cal on the coast and have a place 940 miles from my home down in baja that i love to go to but it takes me upwards of 160 gallons RT which in turn takes quite a while to gather for a trip and i'd really like to go more often, so upping mileage is a biggie for me.) many thanks KL

Old 09-30-2014, 03:26 PM
klindamood
New User
what to say at parts house about my 93 F350 diesel?

i am often asked "turbo or non-turbo" when i go for parts. since my 93 is pre-powerstroke IDI and came from the factory non-turbo but now has a banks turbo -- what do i tell them? thanks KL

Old 09-30-2014, 03:48 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Old 09-30-2014, 04:07 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by klindamood
i am often asked "turbo or non-turbo" when i go for parts. since my 93 is pre-powerstroke IDI and came from the factory non-turbo but now has a banks turbo -- what do i tell them? thanks KL
Tell them you have a non turbo

Old 09-30-2014, 04:14 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by klindamood
thanks to all who replied, somehow i thought maybe there was a place for a chip since i have had mechanics plug in to read/analyze trouble codes.
and genscripter -- as far as a more efficient hwy axle, is it possible to pop the cover and re-gear the rear end for more long-leggedness, or is it easier/cheaper to swap an entire axle? if axle, what axle? if i can swap out some gears, give me an idea on a ratio for those? (i live in central cal on the coast and have a place 940 miles from my home down in baja that i love to go to but it takes me upwards of 160 gallons RT which in turn takes quite a while to gather for a trip and i'd really like to go more often, so upping mileage is a biggie for me.) many thanks KL

If you want flexibility, you might want a 4.10 axle and a 3.55 axle. 3.55's will be good for the long trips. But if you are hauling a lot locally, then 4.10. I'm looking for a whole axle because it's cheaper than regearing the existing one at a shop. Also, lots of guys on the IDI forum warned me early on about attempting a regearing on my own, so I got some quotes. Shops were talking about $900-$1100 to change mine from a 4.10 to a 3.55. Whatever. I'm checking junkyards for complete axles instead.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:33 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
You must have an E40D? Thats the only thing you can get codes from. Being 4x4 your axle swap / gear change just became very impractical. however having the E40D already gives you the equivelant of 3.73 in OD when compared to a ZF with 4.10. 15mpg is respectable for a CCLB 4x4, thats alot of truck to move around. If you only run vegtable, i would have it tuned accordingly. Im pretty sure vegy burns slower than diesel, so you would need to increase timing accordingly. Also given the lower engergy content of vegy. id say 15 is damn respectable even.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:04 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
You must have an E40D? Thats the only thing you can get codes from. Being 4x4 your axle swap / gear change just became very impractical. however having the E40D already gives you the equivelant of 3.73 in OD when compared to a ZF with 4.10. 15mpg is respectable for a CCLB 4x4, thats alot of truck to move around. If you only run vegtable, i would have it tuned accordingly. Im pretty sure vegy burns slower than diesel, so you would need to increase timing accordingly. Also given the lower engergy content of vegy. id say 15 is damn respectable even.

Good point. I overlooked the fact that he's a 4x.

Do what I do. Drive the van on veg when I have a large group or hauling something, but I drive my veggie Jetta whenever I need to go long distances for cheap. It'll be cheaper to get a used TDI and convert to grease rather than ecomod your IDI.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:23 AM
idshred
Mountain Pass
Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by genscripter
Also, lots of guys on the IDI forum warned me early on about attempting a regearing on my own, so I got some quotes. Shops were talking about $900-$1100 to change mine from a 4.10 to a 3.55.
You could do it! I read the same thing on other forums as well and got a quote for around the same as your lower number. I taught myself and did it all without any help. With buying a dial indicator, inch pound torque wrench, new ring and pinion, and odds and ends I was into it a little over 400 dollars.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:12 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
The front would be easy to regear, but the rear not so much. Best bet at that point would be regear the front and get a D60 rear from a newer van. Pros: disc brakes Cons: i think 3.73 is the lowest numerical gear from the factory after 99 in a 3/4 or heavier (not positive on vans, but 99% sure on pickups) the other downfall is youre getting a weaker axle, but the D60 is probably just fine for most van / pickup applications

Old 10-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The other option is a GV Overdrive -- really nice, though somewhat expensive. Gives you the advantages of a high traveling gear, with your good 4.10 low end for towing.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:41 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Macrobb
The other option is a GV Overdrive -- really nice, though somewhat expensive. Gives you the advantages of a high traveling gear, with your good 4.10 low end for towing.

The 4x4 GV unit is crazy expensive new, and almost impossible to find used.

Quick Reply: chip to increase mileage running veggie?