Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

What Did You Do To Your 6.4L Today?

Old 10-15-2014, 09:20 AM
73fan
Elder User
73fan has a good reputation on FTE.73fan has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by bubbasz1 View Post
LOL, I haven't had that kind of energy in 20 years, must be a youngster.
20 years ago I was only 3! Those twin turbos are as heavy as the head off my 1982 2.0L Nissan Diesel!

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-15-2014, 10:29 AM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 73fan View Post
20 years ago I was only 3! Those twin turbos are as heavy as the head off my 1982 2.0L Nissan Diesel!

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup
That explains everything!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:59 AM
73fan
Elder User
But now my energy is fled. I just started it and now it doesn't drip oil. Now it pours oil. If crying would help I'd certainly be doing that! That's disappointing.

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-15-2014, 01:41 PM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Oh, that's sad, I know your heart sank when you saw that, nothing else tosay.
You probably got it half apart by now.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:37 PM
73fan
Elder User
You probably got it half apart by now.
I sure didn't feel like working on it today so I didn't! Do something else in between. Maybe tomorrow I'll clear a corner of our woodshop and pull it inside because last night by the time I was done it was just beginning to freeze.

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-16-2014, 11:39 PM
73fan
Elder User
I'm one step closer to repairing the oil leak! I bought a tube of gasket maker! Other than that I walked by the truck and wished the leak would just go away!

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-18-2014, 11:13 PM
73fan
Elder User
Today tackled that oil leak again. As it turns out, it was oil drain for the high pressure turbo. I guess I had bent the pipe when installing it, then when I removed it again on Tuesday, it got even worse. So today I installed a new o-ring, bent the pipe back in shape and put it all back together again. Took it for a little drive, and.... Well, this is just not working out very well. It's just peeing oil again. Seriously, this is getting ridiculous! Moral of the story? Next time just replace the o-ring/gasket on both turbo drains!

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-19-2014, 11:59 AM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
Today tackled that oil leak again. As it turns out, it was oil drain for the high pressure turbo. I guess I had bent the pipe when installing it, then when I removed it again on Tuesday, it got even worse. So today I installed a new o-ring, bent the pipe back in shape and put it all back together again. Took it for a little drive, and.... Well, this is just not working out very well. It's just peeing oil again. Seriously, this is getting ridiculous! Moral of the story? Next time just replace the o-ring/gasket on both turbo drains!

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup
Are you putting that on by yourself, seems like a buddy job for sure, seems like putting it in by yourself might be part of the problem, I would imagine those are HEAVY!

Old 10-19-2014, 02:44 PM
73fan
Elder User
Are you putting that on by yourself, seems like a buddy job for sure, seems like putting it in by yourself might be part of the problem, I would imagine those are HEAVY!
You do have a point there, my good man. Been doing it by myself and you are not mistaken about the HEAVY part. I don't think think I'll need to lift it right out for the other drain. Just loosen it, then lift up the one side and change that rubber thingy. I'll try to avoid bending the other pipe again.

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-19-2014, 05:07 PM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
You do have a point there, my good man. Been doing it by myself and you are not mistaken about the HEAVY part. I don't think think I'll need to lift it right out for the other drain. Just loosen it, then lift up the one side and change that rubber thingy. I'll try to avoid bending the other pipe again.

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup
LOL, I"m 6'3 and on my 2WD it's OK to work on from the top side, my son has a 2008 V10 4WD and that thing sucks, too tall and too far away, hard on the back to do anything.
To be young again LOL.
I'm sure you'll get it!

Old 10-19-2014, 10:24 PM
73fan
Elder User

LOL, I"m 6'3 and on my 2WD it's OK to work on from the top side, my son has a 2008 V10 4WD and that thing sucks, too tall and too far away, hard on the back to do anything.
To be young again LOL.
I'm sure you'll get it!
I'd say I'm about 2" shorter than you. I stand on the bumper, then for the bolts on the rear of turbo I put a pile of rags on that plastic thingy just below windshield and put my head on that so it's not just knees holding me because they don't like that. I can't see a thing that way, but I got enough fingers so I know where I am. Plus I'm getting good at it! Hahaha.

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-20-2014, 04:07 AM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
Plus I'm getting good at it! Hahaha.

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup
Thats for sure.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:11 AM
73fan
Elder User
On Monday I fixed the oil leak. Again. Took it for a short drive to check for leaks and it seems to be holding. Drove it again today and so far so good.

But, I started it from the remote start today and it fired up and everything but ran only a minute or so then shut off and went right into a honking spree. So I hit lock, then unlock on the remote and it quieted down. Went and started it up, let it warm up then went to town. After returning to it at my first stop I put the key in and turn it over...nothing. Pull the key, lock, unlock, key in and it fires up no problem. Don't know what that is to prove...

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-22-2014, 12:59 PM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
On Monday I fixed the oil leak. Again. Took it for a short drive to check for leaks and it seems to be holding. Drove it again today and so far so good.

But, I started it from the remote start today and it fired up and everything but ran only a minute or so then shut off and went right into a honking spree. So I hit lock, then unlock on the remote and it quieted down. Went and started it up, let it warm up then went to town. After returning to it at my first stop I put the key in and turn it over...nothing. Pull the key, lock, unlock, key in and it fires up no problem. Don't know what that is to prove...

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup
The alarm man can, I love electrical issues.
Not!

Old 10-22-2014, 11:30 PM
73fan
Elder User
I don't know. I had no problems with it before and drove it around some more today without any uncalled for interruptions so I'll just say one door wasn't fully latched and once it was running the movement opened it up enough to trigger the "Theft Detected" code.

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 6.4L Today?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: