Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

What Did You Do To Your 6.4L Today?

Old 10-08-2014, 01:15 PM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bubbasz1 View Post
I think if you are mechanically inclined and have the resources you would be fine with the 6.4, I might have an issue getting the cab off if I ever needed to but I'm sure I could figure it out. After that it's pretty much an engine, little bit more complex than my 65 442 but I would still do the work.
Pretty much an engine like any other common rail engine, after the deletes are done.
As much as I love 6.4's, I wouldnt want one with the DPF on for what I do.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:30 PM
73fan
Elder User
73fan has a good reputation on FTE.73fan has a good reputation on FTE.
Bled the brakes on mine today. I had disconnected the brake lines from ABS module to lift the cab off. Today I asked my mechanic friend and found out normally they remove the booster to avoid needing to bleed brakes after. Anyway since it wasn't braking safely I decided to just get with it and bleed them. Got good breaking power now, but still a little more slack than I like on the top. Oh well, it'll do for now anyway. All the tires can easily skid on dirt so it should be fine.

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-10-2014, 06:35 AM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 73fan View Post
Bled the brakes on mine today. I had disconnected the brake lines from ABS module to lift the cab off. Today I asked my mechanic friend and found out normally they remove the booster to avoid needing to bleed brakes after. Anyway since it wasn't braking safely I decided to just get with it and bleed them. Got good breaking power now, but still a little more slack than I like on the top. Oh well, it'll do for now anyway. All the tires can easily skid on dirt so it should be fine.

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup
She's almost road worthy, time for a trip to see how it fairs.
I think mine will get a rear end fluid change this weekend if all goes good around the house.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:51 AM
73fan
Elder User
Originally Posted by bubbasz1 View Post
She's almost road worthy, time for a trip to see how it fairs.
I think mine will get a rear end fluid change this weekend if all goes good around the house.
Thanks for the reminder about rear end. I should check both diffs and transfer case levels yet!

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-10-2014, 02:06 PM
73fan
Elder User
I designated some hood space to brand names. I wasn't sure where to put all the stickers since I don't like a sticker-decorated truck, so I decided to put them on the inside of the hood.

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-10-2014, 02:16 PM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I designated some hood space to brand names. I wasn't sure where to put all the stickers since I don't like a sticker-decorated truck, so I decided to put them on the inside of the hood.

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup
You have to put them somewhere mine are on the inside of the garage door.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:08 PM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
Got the differential changed this morning, wasn't too bad, it was a bit of a bear to get that aluminum cover off but it was really clean inside, filled with Royal Purple.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:42 PM
73fan
Elder User
Checked the level in the rear diff and found it perfect, as well as the transfer case. So then I went to town and paid $1.349/Liter for 90-a-few liters of diesel. Then, for a friend's birthday, we took shotguns and shot a pile of skeets. So I get home after a total of about 100 km and find oil dripping off the back of the engine. All I could find out is it must be the HPFP cover. That stinks. Planning to leave tomorrow morning at 6:30 for a 6 hour round trip drive! Guess I'll take a jug of oil with me and just go!

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-12-2014, 06:50 AM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
Checked the level in the rear diff and found it perfect, as well as the transfer case. So then I went to town and paid $1.349/Liter for 90-a-few liters of diesel. Then, for a friend's birthday, we took shotguns and shot a pile of skeets. So I get home after a total of about 100 km and find oil dripping off the back of the engine. All I could find out is it must be the HPFP cover. That stinks. Planning to leave tomorrow morning at 6:30 for a 6 hour round trip drive! Guess I'll take a jug of oil with me and just go!

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup
That does suck, bummer.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:00 AM
73fan
Elder User
I had a look at it in the morning and it didn't look too threatening so I took some oil and hit the road. Just giving it an anti-rust coating, I told myself! Stopped in between to be sure it wasn't losing too much either. Well 655 km later I'm back home and it still ran strong! Still had ⅛ tank of fuel. Lie-o-meter said 12L/100 km. I'm accustomed to measuring in km/L and it converts to 8.33. One of these days I'll fill it up again and do a real calculation but that would be fine with me. That wasn't all highway either, as I had it idling quite a while bleeding the brakes, then going and testing it out a bit, so I'm excited to see actual numbers...

And yeah, gonna be fun stuff fixing that oil leak! Argh!!

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-13-2014, 12:26 AM
73fan
Elder User
Oh right, I gave it a shower yesterday yet.

Since it's Thanksgiving Weekend in Canada I wanted it to look presentable. :-)

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-13-2014, 04:12 AM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
Looks good>>

Old 10-13-2014, 11:32 PM
73fan
Elder User
Filled it up with diesel again. 89.805 liters for traveling 676.6 km. This includes some off highway hill driving, running the mild tow tune. Put my foot into it a number of times. (Had to let my Chevy friend hear the twins spool as I drove past him. He had his window down too.) Overall I'm pleased. I need to relearn this "DON'T STEP ON IT!" I keep getting this engine code: P0297. What's up with that?!

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-14-2014, 11:16 PM
73fan
Elder User
Oh, what a day! I decided today I would buckle down and tackle that oil leak. Anti rust coating complete. First I looked it over good to confirm whether or not it was coming from the HPFP cover and I could see no other place it would be coming from. So I dug in. Leaving the cab off. I say, that's a real pain. Well I got it all stripped away till I could remove the HPFP cover and yup, there it was. I had somehow damaged the gasket while installing the rear engine cover. Doctored it up good with superior oil resistant gasket maker and began throwing it together. Well, actually I'm the slow type of fellow so it wasn't really all that fast. Took me ALL DAY. Course it got dark by 7:00 so I worked the last three hours by flashlight. Got it all done but decided if that hadn't fixed the leak I didn't want to know that today. I'll have a good night first and maybe tomorrow I'll start it up and check it.

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-15-2014, 04:10 AM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
Oh, what a day! I decided today I would buckle down and tackle that oil leak. Anti rust coating complete. First I looked it over good to confirm whether or not it was coming from the HPFP cover and I could see no other place it would be coming from. So I dug in. Leaving the cab off. I say, that's a real pain. Well I got it all stripped away till I could remove the HPFP cover and yup, there it was. I had somehow damaged the gasket while installing the rear engine cover. Doctored it up good with superior oil resistant gasket maker and began throwing it together. Well, actually I'm the slow type of fellow so it wasn't really all that fast. Took me ALL DAY. Course it got dark by 7:00 so I worked the last three hours by flashlight. Got it all done but decided if that hadn't fixed the leak I didn't want to know that today. I'll have a good night first and maybe tomorrow I'll start it up and check it.

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup
LOL, I haven't had that kind of energy in 20 years, must be a youngster.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 6.4L Today?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: