Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

What Did You Do To Your 6.4L Today?

Old 10-06-2014, 04:00 AM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'll try to remember to look in my book when I get home from work.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 AM
73fan
Elder User
73fan has a good reputation on FTE.73fan has a good reputation on FTE.
I just went out and turned the H&S up to the mild setting. No more EGR codes. So, from what I gathered, if you run it on "Easy" the EGR system is still doing its evil work.

Sent from Nexus 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-06-2014, 10:48 AM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 73fan View Post
I just went out and turned the H&S up to the mild setting. No more EGR codes. So, from what I gathered, if you run it on "Easy" the EGR system is still doing its evil work.

One problem fixed, have a XXX for me with dinner tonight. Or two>>three!

Old 10-06-2014, 12:17 PM
73fan
Elder User
Anyone have the bulb number for the marker lamp in mirror? I took the bulb out, and the size is familiar but not the number on it. A 161 (2.7w) would probably look a little dim. I'll put a 194 (4.7w) in if no one corrects me on that. :-)

Old 10-06-2014, 03:48 PM
73fan
Elder User
Went to the parts store and they said the 194 is the one I needed! So I got light again.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:59 PM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
So did we get the cam broken in and take the truck for a cruise or what!!
Hows the rest of the truck, interior OK?

Old 10-06-2014, 11:15 PM
73fan
Elder User
Originally Posted by bubbasz1 View Post
So did we get the cam broken in and take the truck for a cruise or what!!
Hows the rest of the truck, interior OK?
Not yet, no. I think I had mentioned earlier that I had broken the one coolant tube. I almost thought I was too cheap, so I glued it together but it soon began to leak so tomorrow morning I've got a replacement coming. I'm not anxious to have coolant all over the engine bay 8 hours from home like I did on a 6.6L diesel I had at one point! Then I need to get a plate for it yet ... Gonna put about 600 km on it over the weekend if all works out. That should break it in.
Interior is great too. I'm gonna see if I can load up a few pictures of it...

Old 10-06-2014, 11:21 PM
73fan
Elder User

That's the only one I have that shows anything. I thought I had more, but evidently not.
And I don't have a picture of it after I put the running boards back on today either!

Old 10-07-2014, 04:07 AM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
Looks very nice, hope all goes well.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:08 PM
73fan
Elder User
Well well, fellows! I changed that despicable little coolant tube today. Very simple actually. Didn't need to remove the battery box or anything. Once that EGR cooler is removed it's accessible without too much trouble. So after refilling the degas bottle I took it for a bit of a warm up. Boy, oh boy, that's quite a different animal from the 6.0L!!! I only had it on stock tune, and didn't even put that skinny pedal all the way down once but I have to say that beast has some serious torque! I love how it locks convertor in 4th then leans you back into the seat.
If anyone is asking "Should I get a 6.4L?" I'm here to tell you, "YES!"

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-08-2014, 12:05 AM
73fan
Elder User
And by the way, I titled this thread so as to keep things a little more active out here. Keep us informed about the cool mods and gadgets you're adding to your 6.4L!

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-08-2014, 04:12 AM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
Unfortunately the 6.4 got a bad rap, probably because of issues with people not knowledgeable of the truck in stock form, how it needs to be taken care of. BUT it is a medium duty engine in a pickup, so power is available, even in stock form. Add a tuner and if opens it up even more, even on a stock tune it has more than enough grunt for the average Joe.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:55 AM
73fan
Elder User
Originally Posted by bubbasz1 View Post
Unfortunately the 6.4 got a bad rap, probably because of issues with people not knowledgeable of the truck in stock form, how it needs to be taken care of. BUT it is a medium duty engine in a pickup, so power is available, even in stock form. Add a tuner and if opens it up even more, even on a stock tune it has more than enough grunt for the average Joe.
In some respects probably quite like the 6.0L. Everyone seemed to hate them. I always hear stuff like "They're the worst engine ever built!" Or "I'd never own a 6.0L because they're extremely unreliable!" With a little TLC they're a great engine. I'm new to the 6.4L but like you say, I'm hoping that it'll last a long time and be good to me. From what I have gathered though, it looks like the 6.4L will require a little bit more pocket depth if something does go wrong.

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup

Old 10-08-2014, 10:12 AM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 73fan View Post
it looks like the 6.4L will require a little bit more pocket depth if something does go wrong.

NEXUS 4. IB AutoGroup
I dont know how true that really is, but I would say they are harder to work on, but not necessarily more expensive. I run accross running engine take-outs for 2000-4000$ frequently, and I just bought a complete 6.4 truck for 2500$ and it's only problem was the crank snapped at the front and harmonic balancer / pulley fell off, so hello spare parts.

I bought the truck to swap a dt360 mechanical engine into, not because I don't like my 6.4, but because I miss the old school diesels, and everything 2008 and newer just is so quiet and not grunty enough, I just miss the older diesels.

So for 2500$ I got basically a spare engine for my current truck, (sans crankshaft,lol), spare trans, transfer case, etc.

Plus the glider truck to put the dt360 and medium duty manual trans into

Old 10-08-2014, 10:22 AM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by parkland View Post
I dont know how true that really is, but I would say they are harder to work on, but not necessarily more expensive. I run accross running engine take-outs for 2000-4000$ frequently, and I just bought a complete 6.4 truck for 2500$ and it's only problem was the crank snapped at the front and harmonic balancer / pulley fell off, so hello spare parts.

I bought the truck to swap a dt360 mechanical engine into, not because I don't like my 6.4, but because I miss the old school diesels, and everything 2008 and newer just is so quiet and not grunty enough, I just miss the older diesels.

So for 2500$ I got basically a spare engine for my current truck, (sans crankshaft,lol), spare trans, transfer case, etc.

Plus the glider truck to put the dt360 and medium duty manual trans into
I think if you are mechanically inclined and have the resources you would be fine with the 6.4, I might have an issue getting the cab off if I ever needed to but I'm sure I could figure it out. After that it's pretty much an engine, little bit more complex than my 65 442 but I would still do the work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 6.4L Today?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: