6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

What Did You Do To Your 6.4L Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 08:29 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 73fan
Changed the air filter on mine today. Wow that's easy! Changed it right in the Canadian Tire parking lot. Took like a minute. -19C (-2F) and windy and snowing. Ugh!!
I believe they have signs in the canadian tire parking lot that say "no auto repairs to be done in parking lot"

You sir, are a bad a$$

Old 11-29-2014, 11:12 AM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Ha ha! Well maybe some Canadian Tires have those signs but not our little store with a huge parking lot. Either way, filter needed to be changed and so I bought it and changed it! So they owed it to me!

Old 11-29-2014, 02:22 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Well we had this -33C (-27F) winter morning so I put a big cardboard in front of the rads. I think I made it too big so I'll keep an eye on the ECT once I take it for a drive.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:38 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Went and put some km on it and I guess it had enough air flow still. ECT only went up to 190 at one point but mostly stayed at 186-188. EOT at 192-194. I'll just need to remember when it warms...

Old 11-29-2014, 07:02 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Went and put some km on it and I guess it had enough air flow still. ECT only went up to 190 at one point but mostly stayed at 186-188. EOT at 192-194. I'll just need to remember when it warms...
I Run a winter cover on mine, makes absolutely no difference, LOL, still takes a good 10 to 12 miles to get to 190 degrees. You can run a full winter cover without towing up to 50 degrees per Ford.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:02 AM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Just put a few more kilometers on mine. (Yesterday) I should find someone to pay me for driving it around. It's so much fun to drive!

Old 12-05-2014, 07:56 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
I Run a winter cover on mine, makes absolutely no difference, LOL, still takes a good 10 to 12 miles to get to 190 degrees. You can run a full winter cover without towing up to 50 degrees per Ford.

Yeah I put cardboard around mine once cause everyone is all like "of course your truck takes long to warm up, you don't even have a winter front!"

Made no difference, nothing I could notice anyways.

Fan still spins idling, so if there is any fluid going through there, it's being chilled even with a winter front.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:31 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Nicest thing about the front cover is it keeps the rads and engine compartment pretty clean, don't have that salt and crap getting all over everything.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:54 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pulled a giant mouse nest out that was between my oil filter housing and the turbo. I took a picture to post but my phone deleted it.

I also gave it a good bath since it was dirty and this way it will snow again with a nice shiny clean pickup!

Jeff

Old 12-07-2014, 10:46 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by bigblockford_390
I pulled a giant mouse nest out that was between my oil filter housing and the turbo. I took a picture to post but my phone deleted it.

I also gave it a good bath since it was dirty and this way it will snow again with a nice shiny clean pickup!

Jeff
Mouse nest, poor guy was just looking for a warm place to spend the winter.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:32 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas

Jeff
Does that mean you don't drive it often enough if mice build nests in it?

And yes, that's an easy way to make it snow!

Old 12-07-2014, 03:17 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Does that mean you don't drive it often enough if mice build nests in it?

And yes, that's an easy way to make it snow!
I have only had pickup for two weeks now and its not a daily driver. I drive a company car for work basically 4 days a week so this pickup is a weekend worrier only. That is the reason I went used verses new, couldnt justify the payments on new to sit 4-5 days a week in the drive way. This spring/summer will get more use when we hook up the camp trailer to it and drive around MT for places to hang out on the weekend.

I am going to guess the mouse nest had been there for a while. The part closest to the turbo was burnt. I am just luck to not have any wires chewed through that I can see and also luck to fire.

Damn drive to clean lamp came on yet again to day. I have put roughly 500 miles since I bought it and half were getting the pickup from the dealer I bought it from to my house all free way 80 miles an hour. Since then I have now gotten 5 drive to clean messages. Christmas time can not come soon enough to see if Santa will bring me a DPF/EGR delete kit.

Yesterday the check engine light came on so I plugged the scanner in and it was only a code for the EGR valve. Cleared with scanner and no more check engine light. I wasn't concerned since that will fall off the pickup here shortly.

I have an OTC Genesis scanner and was presently surprised how much capability I have on the 6.4 engine. Injector balance test, cylinder cut out, fuel pump outlet test, and a bunch of others. I really thought I was going to have to purchase a Ford setup but I think this OTC will work just fine.

Jeff

Old 12-07-2014, 05:12 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
I have only had pickup for two weeks now and its not a daily driver. I drive a company car for work basically 4 days a week so this pickup is a weekend worrier only. That is the reason I went used verses new, couldnt justify the payments on new to sit 4-5 days a week in the drive way. This spring/summer will get more use when we hook up the camp trailer to it and drive around MT for places to hang out on the weekend.

I am going to guess the mouse nest had been there for a while. The part closest to the turbo was burnt. I am just luck to not have any wires chewed through that I can see and also luck to fire.

Damn drive to clean lamp came on yet again to day. I have put roughly 500 miles since I bought it and half were getting the pickup from the dealer I bought it from to my house all free way 80 miles an hour. Since then I have now gotten 5 drive to clean messages. Christmas time can not come soon enough to see if Santa will bring me a DPF/EGR delete kit.

Yesterday the check engine light came on so I plugged the scanner in and it was only a code for the EGR valve. Cleared with scanner and no more check engine light. I wasn't concerned since that will fall off the pickup here shortly.

I have an OTC Genesis scanner and was presently surprised how much capability I have on the 6.4 engine. Injector balance test, cylinder cut out, fuel pump outlet test, and a bunch of others. I really thought I was going to have to purchase a Ford setup but I think this OTC will work just fine.

Jeff
New truck, did you post pictures and I just missed them?
Quit washing the truck, we don't want that dreadful stuff they put on snow to make it more manageable for people who don't know how to drive.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:15 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
New truck, did you post pictures and I just missed them?
Quit washing the truck, we don't want that dreadful stuff they put on snow to make it more manageable for people who don't know how to drive.
I did post a few pictures I think they are back a page but below is a side shot of mine. This picture was from the day I drove it home. The next day we got 8 inches of snow. Every few days it snows a bunch, then melts and repeats. I washed so I could hurry up the snow part.

Jeff

Old 12-10-2014, 12:04 AM
73fan
Laughing Gas
I warmed mine up a bit today. I have owned it long enough to put 5,000 km on it so now I'm beginning to loosen up some. Turned the H&S up to performance and gave it throttle. Only about 75% but boy that beast moves! The EGT peaked at 1070 and I think that must be the highest I have had it! Once April rolls around the ice will come off the pavement then I'll have to try it out in earnest yet! See what it actually does in the 1/4 mile!

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 6.4L Today?