1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

So how well are your seat belts anchored?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
So how well are your seat belts anchored?

I read online that his seat belts were improperly anchored. How on earth did this guy walk away?

Old 09-22-2014, 02:41 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw that earlier today.

He is a lucky guy........ I certainly hope he didn´t just use a bolt and washer thru the floor pan.......

Old 09-22-2014, 07:34 PM
clintonvillian
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
What's wrong with that?

sarcasm

Old 09-22-2014, 07:43 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
Seeet belts. We don neeed no steeenkin seeet belts.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:31 PM
Aarons54f100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, how do you guys have your seat belts anchored?

I have yet to anchor mine. I have only installed the upper brackets Mid Fifty sells but I also bought the belts from them also. All of the lap belt/ buckle ends look like they come with a 3/8 grade 8 bolt with a really large washer(?3inches?) to go underneath. There are some L shaped brackets for the 3 point belts.

I am also upgrading the door latches to a bear claw setup. The video above scares the @#$% out of me.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:01 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
(more (Sept. 21, 2014) Fountain, CO -- Drag racer Kelly Harvey walked away with only minor injuries yesterday after his 1955 Chevy took several rolls during the Colorado Street Outlaws Drag Racing Event at Pikes Peak International Raceway (PPIR).
The racing style seat belts worn by the driver failed during the crash. "My seat belts were not mounted properly and pulled through the floor of the car," Harvey said. "I'm grateful to the staff and safety crew at PPIR for such a rapid response to my situation," he said.
Fortunately, Harvey was able to climb from of the car on his own and walk away.
"PPIR sets standards for all its events to keep drivers, crew, and spectators safe," said PPIR General Manager Bob Boileau. "However, it is the responsibility of the car owner, driver and crews to be sure their vehicles are prepared to take to the track. We're glad there were no serious injuries" he said.

I use and recommend sanctioned racing (NHRA, SCCA, NASCAR) SFI attachment methods:
1. Metal to metal mounting only, no bolts thru webbing. Attachment method needs to be based on belt manufacturers hardware, typical attachment are spring loaded hooks, or tab and metal L bracket with bolt hole. Former uses a special hardened steel solid eyebolt through floor, latter uses a hardened bolt and nut through floor and a special shoulder bolt between tab and bracket.
2. Floor mounting point for lap belt must be in a straight line from floor across wearer's pelvis (not across legs or stomach) and back to floor behind the wearer. The line of the belt should be 45* to the floor. The spacing between the mounting points should equal the width of the wear's pelvis. The belts should pivot freely at the mounting point.
3. Eye bolts and/or attachment bolts AND NUTS must be grade 5 (only!) minimum 7/16" diameter fine thread. If possible the bolts should pass through a structural member under the floor such as a sturdy crossmember. If they must be installed to the floor sheetmetal only then a 4" diameter or 4x4" square 1/8" minimum mild steel backer plate should be installed so the floor is tightly sandwiched between. (Note: the proper hardware and backer plates are available inexpensively from racing and safety equipment suppliers like Summit Racing, Jeggs, Simpson, G-Force etc.)

Old 09-22-2014, 10:06 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I will admit, I will be beefing up my mountings, that's scary!

Old 09-22-2014, 10:08 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
One of the most common fatal automobile accidents are single car overcorrection crashes where the driver drops a right tire off the pavement or begins a skid, yanks the wheel in the opposite direction causing a fishtail skid and running off the opposite side of the road. Here in the tree covered Eastern US this often ends up with the car hitting a tree head on or sideways, or rolling like the car in the video.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:33 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
This was a private event (not NHRA sanctioned) using the pit road on a road course. Wrong surface for drag racing, both cars were all over the place. If that were an NHRA-sanctioned event, I don't think cars with big slicks and that kind of HP would be allowed without 4-point belts and a full cage. A bad idea from the start.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:17 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
This was a private event (not NHRA sanctioned) using the pit road on a road course. Wrong surface for drag racing, both cars were all over the place. If that were an NHRA-sanctioned event, I don't think cars with big slicks and that kind of HP would be allowed without 4-point belts and a full cage. A bad idea from the start.
Ross, you are right about it not being a sanctioned race, it was a private street type race. Street racing has been increasing in participation due to TV reality show coverage and events like Hot Rod magazine's sponsored Power Tour and Drag Week. I for one am glad to see these races taken off public roads, but this is taking this topic afield of the true issue: Street Rodding is also not sanctioned, has no fixed rules, or independent safety inspections, and far too many of us overlook sound safety practices out of ignorance of the right way to reduce risks, a missbelief that since we are not racing that the risks are low or non-existent on the highway, or some sort of dedication to doing things the "old school way", and/or misplaced sense of esthetics.
I believe the original poster was trying to use this accident not as a condemnation of unsanctioned street racing, but as an example of the forces involved in an accident as a way to open a dialog on building safe and proper installation of adequate restraints.
The "old school way" of building was due to a lack of understanding, safety engineering and testing, and lack of available materials and parts, not because it was a good or safe way to do things.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:10 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Yeah I was primarily aiming the post at seat belt installation, but the other issues about safety issues mentioned above cannot be ignored. I still can't get over how this guy rolled this car, went through the windshield, and then walked away. Ross is right, both cars were completely out of control. It appears he rolled it while trying to keep it off the Camaro. If you look closely at the still photo on the youtube link as he is getting out of the car, it appears that his cell phone is still clipped to his belt. HOW????!!!!

If anybody sees any close-up pics of his seat belts or the failed mounts on the internet, the HAMB, etc., please post them here. I'd love to see what setup he had.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:33 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
He was one lucky S O B for sure.
And what a waist of a classic.
Not much to salvage there. It didn't
look like he had that much speed up
yet to me. Ax how fast do you think
he was going when he lost it?

Old 09-24-2014, 07:16 PM
dans 51 f2
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i bet he didn't have insurance on that nice 55. standard auto policies are void if the accident happens during any type of racing. always read the your auto policy front to back.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:25 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
dans 51, you are correct for the most part, but SCCA sanctioned autocross is one of the only automobile competitions where standard street automobile insurance coverage is in force. Notice I said competitions NOT "racing" because SCCA sanctioned autocrosses are classified as "driver education" events, not racing.
But except for incredible luck the insurance coverage he likely would have needed would have been either medical or life! BUT he either saved about 10 bucks in reinforcing washers and/or proper fasteners or kept true to the esthetics of the 50's look of period slide buckle type lap belts only.
If the belt mountings held and the seat mounts broke loose instead he might have been cut in half or had all his internal organs squeezed out his nose!

Old 09-25-2014, 08:36 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
If the belt mountings held and the seat mounts broke loose instead he might have been cut in half or had all his internal organs squeezed out his nose!
That's one of the concerns I have about some of the adaptations I've seen with newer model seats. Especially where there is a mount (or riser) attached to the floor, then the seat attached to the mount.

I'm looking at an early 90s GM seat. I plan for the bolts (grade 8) to be long enough to pass through the seat, riser, and floor pan. There will be a plate below the floor pan to spread any energy over a wide area. If my seat or belts come out, they are bringing the floor pans with them.

Quick Reply: So how well are your seat belts anchored?