1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Fresh Air Vents

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 08:29 AM
quinletc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fresh Air Vents

I am aware from this forum that it is common for the slider tab on the driver's side vent to break off from being right next to the parking brake. This is the case on my 72.

Similarly, I am aware from this forum that it is common for the vents to become bird-nests of leaves and other crap. Also the case on my 72, at least on the driver's side. Passenger's side works just fine.

My driver's side was closed, and I couldn't grip where the tab used to be well enough to open it, until yesterday. I learned three things yesterday: 1) it appears the vent cover cannot be removed without first removing the parking brake pedal, 2) the leaves and junk cannot effectively be vacuumed out through the vent louvers, and 3) it does not smell like the leaves were placed there by a rodent (thank the Lord for small favors).

I have looked through my shop manual, and I cannot find where the layout of the vent is described. Probably, I am just overlooking it. Here's my question:

WHERE IS THE INLET FOR THE FRESH AIR VENT, AND CAN I CLEAN OUT THE TRASH FROM THAT SIDE, SO I DON'T HAVE TO TAKE OFF THE PARKING BRAKE PEDAL TO GET TO IT?

Old 09-22-2014, 09:03 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
The air inlet is from the cowl vent.

To clean it out undo the splash shield at the rear of the front wheel wells. Then fashion a small hook outta stiff wire and fish out the debris. Flush with garden hose... patience required until it runs clear.

Oh close the air vent lest ya want a wet floor board.

Last edited by HIO Silver; 09-22-2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Corrected typographical errors as a result of using a lil tablet.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:27 PM
BTSR63
New User
I was able to drill holes in the e brake bracket, corrisponding with the screws. Still a little bit of a pain but easier than taking the bracket off.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Ozarktraveler
Senior User
Thanks. My driver's side vent slider/tab/handle whatever, is missing too. This was further down my to do list, but it is on it... thanks for the heads up.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 PM
D & D
Senior User
Or you could do what I did with my parking brake bolts. The two that go through the firewall broke when I tore it down. I ground the pressed bolt off and replaced with regular bolts and mounted it.

I did this before installing the air vent. And then I realized that I shouldn't have. Since the cable was a pain to get connected to the brake assembly, I didn't want to completely remove it. I removed the 2 firewall bolts, loosened the dash bolt and swung the parking brake over just enough to get the air vent in.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Ozarktraveler
Senior User
Cool. There's a thought.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:35 PM
quinletc
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
The air inlet is from the cowl vent.

To clean it out undo the splash shield at the rear of the front wheel wells. Then fashion a small hook outta stiff wire and fish out the debris. Flush with garden hose... patience required until it runs clear.

Oh close the air vent lest ya want a wet floor board.
Is this the splash shield? (The semi-oval thing.)

Old 09-23-2014, 02:28 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Nope... that's an access panel for the cab mount. The splash shield (feels like roofing paper) is on the inside trailing side of the fender... it's held on with a series of spiny push pins. Pull out the push pins, peel back the shield, and you'll see the cowl vent bowl.

As a result of great engineering, the drain of the vent bowl is directly in line with (I think) a door hinge bolt which prevents it from passing large chunks. My 70's bowls had about four or five inches of "mulch" when I first got it and took quite a bit of fishing and rinsing until it was fully cleaned out.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:01 PM
quinletc
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Nope... that's an access panel for the cab mount. The splash shield (feels like roofing paper) is on the inside trailing side of the fender... it's held on with a series of spiny push pins. Pull out the push pins, peel back the shield, and you'll see the cowl vent bowl.
Dang...

OK, so if I put the camera over by the cab mount and looked back towards the fender, that's where I would find it?

Old 09-23-2014, 05:05 PM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BTSR63
I was able to drill holes in the e brake bracket, corrisponding with the screws. Still a little bit of a pain but easier than taking the bracket off.
+1 1/2 holes in parking brake bracket make it alot easier

Old 09-23-2014, 05:14 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by quinletc
Dang...

OK, so if I put the camera over by the cab mount and looked back towards the fender, that's where I would find it?
... Unless your head is the size of a watermelon a camera is not needed.

Turn the steering to full right or left and peer in there. You'll see it. The bowls are welded to the sides of the cowl of the cab.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:14 AM
quinletc
Senior User
I do have a big melon, but I'll give it a shot.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:08 AM
FECruzer69
Senior User
I was able to remove the driver's side vent without touching the Parking Brake bracket at all using this little tool. I always have it in my toolbox when I go to look for parts at the boneyard. It saves me quite a bit of time.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:03 AM
quinletc
Senior User
Originally Posted by FECruzer69
I was able to remove the driver's side vent without touching the Parking Brake bracket at all using this little tool. I always have it in my toolbox when I go to look for parts at the boneyard. It saves me quite a bit of time.
Handy little kit, there. Pic is a bit fuzzy - what brand and where did you get it?

Old 09-26-2014, 11:28 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's how, I cleaned mind plus coated the inside with Por15 as it was rusted pretty bad with pin holes in the bottom. So make a cover plate.
Orich

Quick Reply: Fresh Air Vents