1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1989 Ford Econoline E250 Coachmen Class B RV engine ticking/knocking noise

Old 09-21-2014, 02:05 PM
ASSYRIAN_ELVIS_E250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 Ford Econoline E250 Coachmen Class B RV engine ticking/knocking noise

Hey guys. I just bought an 89 Coachmen Ford Econoline E250. Got it from Vegas and it was one owner and carfax verified to have only 44000 miles on it. It is in mint condition. I drove it from Vegas to Little Rock Arkansas with no problems. I recently have been hearing a ticking noise coming from the right driver side engine area near the power steering pump. The ticking noise does not go away and the van is struggling to get over 55mph on the highway. Im not sure if it is and exhaust manifold or catalytic converter. Hopefully its not the valves or lifters. Just wanted to get some help and info on this. Anyone can help lemme know.

Also 2 other issues. My onan generator was worked on by a guy and he messed it up. Before it would work and I used the rooftop AC for 2 days. Now when I turn the fan option on the coleman rooftop ac it works, once I select the low cool or high cool option for the AC it shuts off. The regular fan option works on the rooftop unit when the genset is on but when the actual air condition option is selected like low cool or high cool, it shuts off right away.

The other issue is my monitor panel is not working and my propane tank if leaking propane from the valve. Any guys on here from the little rock area who work on rvs please contact me cus I wanna get it fixed. Any info or help on here? Lemme know guys.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:04 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,379 Likes on 1,094 Posts
Okay first off we need to know what engine we're dealing with---that this is an RV of some brand and year doesn't really give enough details about what possible issues you might be having.

As for the generator and propane issues they're more for an RV forum as they're not really part of the standard Ford van for which this sub-forum is best known. Perhaps someone happens to know a bit about those systems but also look elsewhere for more specific info.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:55 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
It would be a good guess that you have the 351 engine.
As you know the ticking could be the exhaust manifold or a lifter and the exhaust manifold could be leaking because of back pressure from a plugged catalytic converter.
If the catalytic converter is plugged it may be the reason why the van is struggling to get over 55mph on the highway. Any muffler shop should be able to replace the catalytic converter or check it and the exhaust manifold.

Check the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose for fuel. If there is fuel in it, it is bad may be why the catalytic converter got plugged up. A bad O2 sensor can do this also.

Not sure what you are saying about the Onan generator. Does the Onan generator die under load or is a breaker tripping. Could be a bad starting cap on the AC compressor either way.

As for the monitor panel most of the time there is a sender mounted on the mechanical gauge on the tank and it goes bad.
The valve also needs to be replaced. Any Propane dealer can replace the valve.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:07 PM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question test each thing

Originally Posted by ASSYRIAN_ELVIS_E250
..... I used the rooftop AC for 2 days. Now when I turn the fan option on the coleman rooftop ac it works, once I select the low cool or high cool option for the AC it shuts off. The regular fan option works on the rooftop unit when the genset is on but when the actual air condition option is selected like low cool or high cool, it shuts off right away.
Does the AC unit work fine on shore power? And what does the Onan do when you fire up the microwave?

Old 09-23-2014, 12:00 AM
ASSYRIAN_ELVIS_E250
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
Okay first off we need to know what engine we're dealing with---that this is an RV of some brand and year doesn't really give enough details about what possible issues you might be having.

As for the generator and propane issues they're more for an RV forum as they're not really part of the standard Ford van for which this sub-forum is best known. Perhaps someone happens to know a bit about those systems but also look elsewhere for more specific info.
It has the 5.8 liter 351 gas motor. Again the ticking noise is coming from the right side-driver side of the engine near the power steering pump. It doesnt go away while Im driving and the van struggles n chokes when I wanna go over 55mph. There is no check engine light going off.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:09 AM
ASSYRIAN_ELVIS_E250
New User
Originally Posted by subford
As you know the ticking could be the exhaust manifold or a lifter and the exhaust manifold could be leaking because of back pressure from a plugged catalytic converter.
If the catalytic converter is plugged it may be the reason why the van is struggling to get over 55mph on the highway. Any muffler shop should be able to replace the catalytic converter or check it and the exhaust manifold.

Check the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose for fuel. If there is fuel in it, it is bad may be why the catalytic converter got plugged up. A bad O2 sensor can do this also.

Not sure what you are saying about the Onan generator. Does the Onan generator die under load or is a breaker tripping. Could be a bad starting cap on the AC compressor either way.

As for the monitor panel most of the time there is a sender mounted on the mechanical gauge on the tank and it goes bad.
I know cars pretty good but I am not a mechanically inclined person to actually work on it. I agree with all u have to say about a possibility of the cat might be bad or the exhaust manifold might be damaged. Hopefully its not a lifter cus that would cost a lotta money to fix right? If it is the lifter or valves how much does it cost to fix or check?

As far as fuel pressure regulator hose im not familiar with that. Where is that located in the van?

As far as the gen, before i bought it the owner said i would have to pull the governer in order to start it, which it did and ran fan with the ac on for 2 days. I had a guy here who works on small engines clean the carburator and adjust the governer, well since then the generator will not stay on when i put the rooftop ac on lo or hi cool ac option, but it does stay on when i just select the low or hi fan option, fan option is not ac its just vent air. So the gen is not producing enough voltage to run a microwave or ac unit, but its strong enough for just a fan.

The monitor panel shows me the water level, propane level, and house battery level. I know there are sensors on all these items and they r wired to the panel. But the panel wont come on.

You seem like a knowledgable guy, can u please add me on facebook would like to talk to u sometime, maybe u can help me. Im an Elvis impersonator n im wearing a white suit add me marshall khamou

Old 09-23-2014, 12:13 AM
ASSYRIAN_ELVIS_E250
New User

Im trying to save money on fixing everything. I have a nice guatemalan latino mechanic who is ok on labor prices. I cant afford taking it to a rv dealer they charge 125 an hr and i cant afford it.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:16 AM
ASSYRIAN_ELVIS_E250
New User
Originally Posted by tx2sturgis
Does the AC unit work fine on shore power? And what does the Onan do when you fire up the microwave?
AC unit works fine on shore. Before this idiot messed the genset up it would run fine with the microwave and ac on at the same time with no problems. I slept in the van with the ac on, on full power and the genset nvr cut off. The only problem I had orignally with the genset was it doesnt start from the inside of the van and it doesnt start from the start button on the genset, id have to press the start button and pull the throttle in orderto start it, im guessing from my research the carburator is no good and needs to be replaced, n thats whats causing the starting problem.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:18 AM
ASSYRIAN_ELVIS_E250
New User
Can u please help me post a picture on the bottom, I tried many times but it wont work. Id like to have a picture of my van on the bottom like u have on ur profile.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:01 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Hopefully its not a lifter cus that would cost a lotta money to fix right? If it is the lifter or valves how much does it cost to fix or check?
I dough that it is a lifter or a valve. If it is a lifter an oil change and a filter with a good 5W30 oil might fix the lifter if it is that.

As far as fuel pressure regulator hose im not familiar with that. Where is that located in the van?
You should have a fuel injected engine so the fuel pressure regulator is located at the left (drivers side) rear top of the engine on the fuel rail (manifold). It has a vacuum hose coming out the nipple on top going to the upper intake manifold. You will have to pull the dog house off to check it.

As far as the gen, before i bought it the owner said i would have to pull the governer in order to start it, which it did and ran fan with the ac on for 2 days. I had a guy here who works on small engines clean the carburator and adjust the governer, well since then the generator will not stay on when i put the rooftop ac on lo or hi cool ac option, but it does stay on when i just select the low or hi fan option, fan option is not ac its just vent air. So the gen is not producing enough voltage to run a microwave or ac unit, but its strong enough for just a fan.
I dough that there was anything wrong with the carburetor but it sounds like it needs to be adjusted for starting and under load. Your big problem is that the governor is not opening the throttle when the generator goes under load. This could be binding of the governor rod or its parts. That is why you have to pull the governor rod to start it in the first place. With the governor not working right the voltage and frequency will be off and not right. You need to take to an Onan dealer and have it worked on.
I do not know the Onan model that you have as you have not posted any model numbers.

The monitor panel shows me the water level, propane level, and house battery level. I know there are sensors on all these items and they r wired to the panel. But the panel wont come on.
Sounds like no power to the monitor panel, check the fuses in the home fuse panel.

You seem like a knowledgable guy, can u please add me on facebook would like to talk to u sometime, maybe u can help me. Im an Elvis impersonator n im wearing a white suit add me marshall khamou
I am not active on any of the online social networking services.
But you can email me at the address at the bottom of this post and if you email me your phone number I may call you.

Not sure what monitor you have but they are just about all wired the same.
Monitor wiring:

The FPR:

/

Old 09-23-2014, 09:18 AM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Thumbs up pix

Can u please help me post a picture on the bottom, I tried many times but it wont work. Id like to have a picture of my van on the bottom like u have on ur profile.
Sure.

First you need to reduce the resolution and pixel size of the pic you want to use. I dont remember the maximum pix count, but its something like 200x100 or less. If your signature pic is too big it will be rejected and you will have to shrink it even more.

Next, just click on your username, then User CP, then Edit Signature.

Scroll to the Signature Picture section. Click 'Browse...' and point the dialog box to your picture on your computer.

Then arrange it (using the 'Insert Signature Picture' command) with any text you want to use

Hope this helps.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:41 AM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Wink this is social too

I am not active on any of the online social networking services.
Except this one...right?

(just letting you know we're paying attention...thanks for helping.)

Old 09-23-2014, 02:56 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Except this one...right?

(just letting you know we're paying attention...thanks for helping.)

I did not think this type of Forum was classified as an online social networking service.
I was referring to online services such as facebook, twitter and those types.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:11 PM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Talking we're being social, aren't we?

I did not think this type of Forum was classified as an online social networking service.
As soon as a few people communicate online, its a social network.

Just sayin....

Old 09-24-2014, 05:41 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,379 Likes on 1,094 Posts
It's not----at least for those of us who realize the foolishness of such things. While it can (and is) argued by the Faceplace goofs all forums are "social media" the purpose and reason for FTE et al is vastly different than those sites dedicated to sharing info that's barely interesting to any one other than the individual posting most of it.

I also doubt most here on FTE have that near-addiction to "interacting" online as a substitute for living out in the real world, that one where "friends" have body temps and heartbeats.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1989 Ford Econoline E250 Coachmen Class B RV engine ticking/knocking noise