1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DP Tuner *Infinity* and my infinate inquiries. Class in session.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 04:08 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,320 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Thanks for responding. It certainly wasn't my intent to steer this thread off course. In fact, I find that your summary list of features of the Infinity this early on what I expect might be a long running thread provides a variety of jumping off points to motivate those who already have the Infinity to fully deploy and take advantage of.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, lets talk a basic on a data log, lets say i select a few PIDs on my monitor screen, and i decide to hit start log. Now that what i do is logging, what is my best bet? Take a casual drive? Now that i have taken this drive and logged some data, what some PIDs i would/should have chosen? And what can i do with this data i just logged? Basic example style... or make up a scenerio problem i might have been having, and what i do as far as logging what specific PIDs and how to read the data and possibly find a solution to the problem.

Not exactly Infinity only question here, but a basic understanding of selecting what data to log and how to analyze it.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel 724
Ok, lets talk a basic on a data log, lets say i select a few PIDs on my monitor screen, and i decide to hit start log. Now that what i do is logging, what is my best bet? Take a casual drive? Now that i have taken this drive and logged some data, what some PIDs i would/should have chosen? And what can i do with this data i just logged? Basic example style... or make up a scenerio problem i might have been having, and what i do as far as logging what specific PIDs and how to read the data and possibly find a solution to the problem.

Not exactly Infinity only question here, but a basic understanding of selecting what data to log and how to analyze it.
Choosing what to datalog depends on what you are trying to diagnose. Also, choosing how to run the truck while datalogging depends on what you are trying to diagnose as well.

For instance, lets say you are having smoke and EGT issues. You will at least want to datalog ICP, IPRDC, Boost (MGP), APP, EGT, FUELPW, GEAR, VSS, and TCCDC. The main ones being ICP, IPRDC, Boost, and EGT. ICP and boost play a huge role in smoke and EGT control. If your ICP is not keeping up, you are not getting enough fuel pressure out of the nozzle, which results in less than desirable fuel atomization. This, in turn, leads to decreased power, more smoke, and higher EGT. A lower than desired boost level can have similar effects since you are not getting the proper amount of air to go with your fuel.

You will want to run a datalog where you are having the problems. For example, usually with ICP problems, this occurs when you are into the throttle hard.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 09-24-2014, 07:48 PM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
Wow. Nice thread!!! I have had my Infinity about a year and a half and love it! I also have the hub that I monitor dual EGT's and switch my F6. I use the ford match screens.

My main screen has the three analog gauges, I monitor both EGT's and MGP, and 6 digital along the bottom. ICP, IPRDC, FPW, EOT, TFT, and MFDSD which is mass fuel desired.

Another screen is set up to watch my start pids, RPM, ICP, IPRDC(Injector pressure regulator duty cycle), FUELPW, VPWR (battery voltage), and EOT.

Yet another is set up for trouble shooting my tranny. I was having problems with the shifting so I data logged RPM, TCCDC(torqu converter clutch duty cycle), TP(throtle position), VSS(vehicle speed sensor), TCSLIP(torqu converter slip), TFT, GEAR, and OSS(output shaft speed)

When you are data logging a screen it will only record what you have on that screen unless you go into data logging-signals and set up what you want to be recorded no matter what screen you are watching.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:56 PM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Tugly
If you are seeing illogical PID readings, you may have just stumbled onto the first real reason for having a powerful tool like Infinity.

UNLESS - you're one of those that tries to look at Engine Coolant Temperature. The wire to the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor on a manual truck is "diverted" to the Transmission Fluid Temperature sensor on an automatic truck. A person with an automatic and both gauges up might say "But Tugly, the TFT doesn't match the ECT, how can this B?"

The PCM on a manual truck looks at that wire and applies the formula for ECT. The PCM on an automatic truck looks at that wire and applies the formula for TFT. So... everybody with an automatic that tries to look at the Engine Coolant Temperature is in for a shock when they see the readings.
ECT doesn't work for manuals either, i tried it. My Infinity actually shows 2 pids for ECT. One was showing something like 280deg during a cold start, though as the engine warmed up the reading was climbing, and the other showed -150. So I haven't looked at them since.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:59 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Sometimes I get on a roll and overlook a key point:

These guys that make/supply OBDII scan tools and gauges don't typically troubleshoot Fords - they supply the tools for you to do it. It would be like going to Sears to get a 1/2"-drive socket set and asking how much torque to put on your lug nuts. They would say "look it up". This is where I fell down - I forgot to share where to "look it up".

The Ford Powertrain Control and Enhanced Diagnostics (PC/ED) manual is what you are looking for. There are also a few trinkets toward the end of my signature line - if you give them a click.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:44 AM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by cjgray1974
Wow. Nice thread!!! I have had my Infinity about a year and a half and love it! I also have the hub that I monitor dual EGT's and switch my F6. I use the ford match screens.

My main screen has the three analog gauges, I monitor both EGT's and MGP, and 6 digital along the bottom. ICP, IPRDC, FPW, EOT, TFT, and MFDSD which is mass fuel desired.

Another screen is set up to watch my start pids, RPM, ICP, IPRDC(Injector pressure regulator duty cycle), FUELPW, VPWR (battery voltage), and EOT.

Yet another is set up for trouble shooting my tranny. I was having problems with the shifting so I data logged RPM, TCCDC(torqu converter clutch duty cycle), TP(throtle position), VSS(vehicle speed sensor), TCSLIP(torqu converter slip), TFT, GEAR, and OSS(output shaft speed)

When you are data logging a screen it will only record what you have on that screen unless you go into data logging-signals and set up what you want to be recorded no matter what screen you are watching.
Good point Chris. Glad you brought that up. It is a cool feature and not too many are aware of it.

Like Chris said, you can configure the datalogging system to record any parameters you want, regardless of if they are on the currently displayed screen. I use this because I am using a screen which enables me to watch 10 PIDs. When I datalog, I sometimes want to watch up to 15 PID's, and this is where this feature comes in handy.

Originally Posted by cjgray1974
ECT doesn't work for manuals either, i tried it. My Infinity actually shows 2 pids for ECT. One was showing something like 280deg during a cold start, though as the engine warmed up the reading was climbing, and the other showed -150. So I haven't looked at them since.
ECT is a weird one on the 7.3L... I believe it works and functions on the 2001 APX PCM's.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 09-25-2014, 12:22 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
How about standard OBD II diagnostic "Check Engine Light" codes? I was told before i bought it that it could read ANY OBD II trouble codes. Well I was trying on a Chevy Malibu for a friend and it wouldnt work.

Did i do something wrong here? Or is it just a Ford specific?

And can any other programs of any type be stored on the memory card and downloaded to the unit?

Old 09-25-2014, 12:43 PM
DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
How about standard OBD II diagnostic "Check Engine Light" codes? I was told before i bought it that it could read ANY OBD II trouble codes. Well I was trying on a Chevy Malibu for a friend and it wouldnt work.

Did i do something wrong here? Or is it just a Ford specific?

And can any other programs of any type be stored on the memory card and downloaded to the unit?
The old version only does generic Ford and Ford Enhanced. All other brands you can read generic PIDS. Make sure the generic OBD protocols are installed in your unit. Look in Setup under setup devices manager to see if it is displayed there. Not sure how many you will be able to see as we don't have a chevy gas vehicle to find out. On a Duramax its very few.

What "other" programs are you inquiring about?

Get Tuned! 828-221-0076 ext. 802
Become our Facebook Fan
Old 09-25-2014, 10:07 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
Well thats one i was refering to, since mine wouldnt read generic codes of a Chevy, i was wondering if i could obtain a "program" of all the generic pids (engine codes) for say like, all domestic make gas vehicles, or even diesels. Or even, not that i would want to or need it, could you download and add say other make "specific" or "enhanced" PIDS? - for any gas or diesel make?

Possibly say i cruised my 7.3 by day and a Toyota ricer at night, Could i use the same unit to switch between vehicles?

Or does that fall kinda under the same class as regestering another VIN?

Old 09-26-2014, 05:50 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I'm guessing the manufacturer has the same electronics in there as the product they sell to the non-PMSers. I guess the best way to word it is "Can you install the enhanced bundles from the manufacturer?"

Old 09-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Well thats one i was refering to, since mine wouldnt read generic codes of a Chevy, i was wondering if i could obtain a "program" of all the generic pids (engine codes) for say like, all domestic make gas vehicles, or even diesels. Or even, not that i would want to or need it, could you download and add say other make "specific" or "enhanced" PIDS? - for any gas or diesel make?

Possibly say i cruised my 7.3 by day and a Toyota ricer at night, Could i use the same unit to switch between vehicles?

Or does that fall kinda under the same class as regestering another VIN?
Your unit should read any generic OBDII codes on any vehicle. As long as the Generic OBDII package is installed on your unit. You can check and confirm this by updating your firmware. There is a list of check-boxes next to items that can be installed on the unit. You will want to make sure Generic OBDII is checked.

As far as enhanced goes... Yes, a lot of other manufacturer enhanced packages are available. This includes Toyota, Honda, GM, Chrysler. These enhanced licenses can be purchased from Drew Tech. We pre-load the Ford package and support that one. We do not support the other manufacturer packages.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 09-26-2014, 02:34 PM
ZombiePopper
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I apologize if this is a dumb question,
but is there a source that lists the various acronyms and what they mean?
I'm seriously considering an infinity at this point,
because i REALLY like the fact it's so versatile (among many other features).
But, I still have one concern,
Technology is moving at such a fast rate that you buy a new smart phone or notebook, etc and 2 months later (if not sooner), something better, faster, smaller, etc comes out.
So what's the "shelf life" of the infinity?
Meaning, how long will you continue supporting it or before it runs out of OS capabilities (when a simple update will no longer suffice)?
Thanks

Old 09-26-2014, 03:06 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-26-2014, 04:53 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
That and the scan tool link in my signature.

Quick Reply: DP Tuner *Infinity* and my infinate inquiries. Class in session.