1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Saving a 1982 F100 from being junked - Semi-Restore - pic heavy

Old 09-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Brad - So, Aussies don't "emit"? Or, it is just that the 335 Series engines themselves don't?

RW - Right you are. There was an optional hood ornament for 80 - 86 that was different than the Explorer's ornament.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:24 AM
silar
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Brad - So, Aussies don't "emit"? Or, it is just that the 335 Series engines themselves don't?

RW - Right you are. There was an optional hood ornament for 80 - 86 that was different than the Explorer's ornament.

From what I understand, my truck is completely all original. So that makes sense. My coworker said his dad got that truck with all the options they had...

Old 09-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by silar
My coworker said his dad got that truck with all the options they had...
This is partially true. It is the highest trim level, and does have things like A/C, Cruise Control, Two-Tone paint, Automatic Overdrive, etc.

However, it is missing options like the factory protection group, the security lock group, power windows and locks, and the factory clock.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
And, the holy grail: underhood tool box.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:51 PM
silar
Elder User
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
This is partially true. It is the highest trim level, and does have things like A/C, Cruise Control, Two-Tone paint, Automatic Overdrive, etc.

However, it is missing options like the factory protection group, the security lock group, power windows and locks, and the factory clock.
I really, really appreciate all the input on the hood ornament, but regardless... I may keep the hood ornament.. I may not. I really don't care one way or another if it was original to the truck.

My fix-up thread seems to be becoming a 'Should my truck have this hood ornament?' thread.. I mean this in the most nicest way possible (even though some will get upset).

But hey... I just bought a new chromed thermostat housing!

Old 09-15-2014, 07:01 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
But hey... I just bought a new chromed thermostat housing!

Do you plan on any modifications to the truck for performance aside from the Eddy intake and Holley, or are you going to keep it relatively stock? Same thing for the exterior?

Old 09-15-2014, 07:10 PM
silar
Elder User
Do you plan on any modifications to the truck for performance aside from the Eddy intake and Holley, or are you going to keep it relatively stock? Same thing for the exterior?
I have an HEI Distributor on the way. At this point, I'm going to wait until after the 1st of the year to pull the engine. I really want to get it cleaned up real good and painted.

I took the intake and valve covers into work today and sandblasted them. I have a sandblast cabinet, but it's kinda small and doesn't fit those items. I am planning on powdercoating the valve covers high gloss blue and the intake chrome. I have a powder coating setup, but just using a regular oven for now. I've got those parts in the oven now gassing out to make sure all oil, etc is gone.

As far as performance, I'll probably change out a few things in the block.. Cam, rockers, valves, etc. Doesn't really need to, but I want this thing to run good. I've seen the 302 Engine rebuild kits for around $300 - $400 that has pretty much everything. I may go that route. Honestly, this is my first go around in ford engines. I've rebuilt my Land Rover Disco 2 engine and my V65 Magna engine so I've got a tiny hair of experience (NOT)..

I'd love to find a way to mount the alternator and power steering pump better (or at least make it look better. A different set of brackets for them would help, but I'd like to keep the belt configuration)... See the previous pics in this thread to see what I mean...

Any suggestions would be great!

Old 09-15-2014, 07:41 PM
TOMMAY
Junior User
That Miller Light makes a pretty good carb cleaner but I prefer Bud Light for drinking.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster

I'd love to find a way to mount the alternator and power steering pump better (or at least make it look better. A different set of brackets for them would help, but I'd like to keep the belt configuration)... See the previous pics in this thread to see what I mean...

Any suggestions would be great!

You're not the only one. Many people have altered the brackets just like you plan for the same reasons.

There are plenty of options for alternator brackets. Some people make their own, or there are companies that make them for you.

For example:

Alternator Mounting Bracket - 289-302, 66-77 Ford Bronco, New - Toms Bronco Parts

I think the alternator pivot bolt goes through the cylinder head, so your configuration won't change.

I'm not entirely sure about the power steering pump bracket, but I'm sure they make those too. You might even end up getting away with brackets from a car, since they tend to have less room for enormous bracketry.

Also, did you know that 1980-1983 F100's came with two different lug patterns for the wheels? It would be important to know which one you have so that ordering brake parts will be less confusing at the parts counter. Judging by the pics, it looks like you have the larger 5x5.5 lug pattern shared with the F150 and Bronco. But it's good to double check.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:25 PM
silar
Elder User
You're not the only one. Many people have altered the brackets just like you plan for the same reasons.

There are plenty of options for alternator brackets. Some people make their own, or there are companies that make them for you.

For example:

Alternator Mounting Bracket - 289-302, 66-77 Ford Bronco, New - Toms Bronco Parts

I think the alternator pivot bolt goes through the cylinder head, so your configuration won't change.

I'm not entirely sure about the power steering pump bracket, but I'm sure they make those too. You might even end up getting away with brackets from a car, since they tend to have less room for enormous bracketry.

Also, did you know that 1980-1983 F100's came with two different lug patterns for the wheels? It would be important to know which one you have so that ordering brake parts will be less confusing at the parts counter. Judging by the pics, it looks like you have the larger 5x5.5 lug pattern shared with the F150 and Bronco. But it's good to double check.
Thanks for the info.. I did check on the lug pattern, and it's 5x5.5.. thank god..

Would that alternator bracket replace that hideous thing that is holding the alternator now? lol!

Old 09-15-2014, 08:48 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Welcome to FTE, Silar, and nice truck!

Would that alternator bracket replace that hideous thing that is holding the alternator now?
Here is how I re-mounted my alternator:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...with-pics.html

Old 09-15-2014, 09:07 PM
silar
Elder User
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
Welcome to FTE, Silar, and nice truck!

Here is how I re-mounted my alternator:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...with-pics.html
Thanks and that's what I'm looking for!

Thanks again!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:10 PM
silar
Elder User
I meant to take pics of the condition of the valve covers before, but you can see them in previous posts in this thread. They were pretty bad looking. Paint chipping, rust spots.. etc...

I've now sandblasted and powder coated them, and here they are! Way better looking! Of course a new breather and PCV grommet too!

I used Columbia Coatings - Super Mirror Blue. I really like this color...

Old 09-15-2014, 09:41 PM
RL250
Posting Guru
I meant to take pics of the condition of the valve covers before, but you can see them in previous posts in this thread. They were pretty bad looking. Paint chipping, rust spots.. etc...

I've now sandblasted and powder coated them, and here they are! Way better looking! Of course a new breather and PCV grommet too!

I used Columbia Coatings - Super Mirror Blue. I really like this color...
With that breather, I think the Spectra PCV would also be a nice upgrade. It's about the same size and high chrome. Just a suggestion.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Looks good!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Saving a 1982 F100 from being junked - Semi-Restore - pic heavy