1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Dolphin gauges water temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 11:26 AM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dolphin gauges water temp sensor

Is this my coolant temp sensor?

And it's too small to thread into intake manifold. Maybe water neck? Disregard my finger pointing

Here's the back of my temp gauge..

Old 09-14-2014, 12:07 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
yes, have to use a bushing to install it in a larger hole. If you bought this setup new normally there are adapter bushings included.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:15 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Yes that is the temp sender. You can get a brass bushing at most hardware stores to make it fit the larger hole in the manifold. Looks like the sender is 1/8" pipe (take with you to store). Manifold looks like 1/2" pipe, measure the hole, if it measures 5/8" it is 1/2" pipe, if it measures 1/2" then it is 3/8" pipe. Do not use teflon tape when you install the sender, it can insulate it from ground, use pipe sealant also available at the hardware store. Wire from sender goes to the S terminal on gauge. Other two wires to gauge are a ground G terminal and + power with the key on, I terminal.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:40 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by drptop70ss
yes, have to use a bushing to install it in a larger hole. If you bought this setup new normally there are adapter bushings included.
You mean these? So what do I use to plug the intake manifold holes?

Old 09-14-2014, 12:43 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
The bushing closest to your thumb nail is probably the one.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:48 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
I'm guessing these if they fit…
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1483

thanks for your help guys. Would have taken me way way longer figuring this out on my own.

Rimrock F1- I think you wanna drive down to scottsdale and help me wire this thing when the time is right :-)

Old 09-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jrockdiddy
I'm guessing these if they fit…
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1483

thanks for your help guys. Would have taken me way way longer figuring this out on my own.

Rimrock F1- I think you wanna drive down to scottsdale and help me wire this thing when the time is right :-)
Those plugs will work fine, they are also available at many hardware and auto stores.

I do help friends all the time with wiring, fuel injection and mechanical. I think it's because I work for lunch.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:22 PM
53FOPAR
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes the large bushing in the plastic bag should be for the temp sender. The smaller 90* bushing with the section of pipe are for the oil sender if needed. You can buy brass plugs at the hardware store cheaper than those chrome steel plugs from Summit.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:57 AM
TxF100
Senior User
Won't the chrome ones make it go faster?

Originally Posted by 53FOPAR
Yes the large bushing in the plastic bag should be for the temp sender. The smaller 90* bushing with the section of pipe are for the oil sender if needed. You can buy brass plugs at the hardware store cheaper than those chrome steel plugs from Summit.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:12 AM
wallster
Elder User
I installed my dolphin temp sensor on the side of the block (where the factory sensor was installed) so I could use the port on the intake for a fan sensor switch. If you are using a mechanical cooling fan then just plug it. The one closest to your thumb (as pointed out by raytasch) look like the correct size.

Wally

Old 09-16-2014, 10:57 AM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by wallster
I installed my dolphin temp sensor on the side of the block (where the factory sensor was installed) so I could use the port on the intake for a fan sensor switch. If you are using a mechanical cooling fan then just plug it. The one closest to your thumb (as pointed out by raytasch) look like the correct size.

Wally
Wally, where is the original port on the block? I am using an electric fan. Everyone told me that chrome adds horsepower that's why my entire engine is chrome

Old 09-16-2014, 12:41 PM
wallster
Elder User
Originally Posted by jrockdiddy
Wally, where is the original port on the block? I am using an electric fan. Everyone told me that chrome adds horsepower that's why my entire engine is chrome
Chrome is King!
I'm running an "off brand" engine in my truck and there's a port next to a soft plug where I installed my sensor (where the factory one was installed first). You should have coolant drain plugs (port plugs?) in that block (at least one on each side I believe) that will work as a place for that sensor. It was originally on the intake but as long as the coolant flows over the sensor I can't see why a coolant drain plug wouldn't work. See pic below of a removed port/drain plug on a 351, it looks like 1/4" NPT thread.

Wally

Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2014, 04:37 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by wallster
I installed my dolphin temp sensor on the side of the block (where the factory sensor was installed) so I could use the port on the intake for a fan sensor switch. If you are using a mechanical cooling fan then just plug it. The one closest to your thumb (as pointed out by raytasch) look like the correct size. Wally
Got it in on top. Snuck out there when the boys were sleeping. Not sure I like it there, real close to fuel line. Wally, could I put it here? Looks like it would fit without an adapter...would like to know where the factory spot it so I could put it there...

Old 09-17-2014, 06:01 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
On the picture showing where you have it there is a plug just forward to it, why not put it there?

Old 09-17-2014, 06:46 PM
jrockdiddy
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 56panelford
On the picture showing where you have it there is a plug just forward to it, why not put it there?
You mean in the water neck port? I don't have the adapter to fit that plug. Guess I could try and go find at hardware store

Quick Reply: Dolphin gauges water temp sensor