Let's talk about the bull bars and grille guards for Ford F-150 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Vendor Specials, Discounts, Product Announcements & Group Buys This is the place to check out offers from FTE sponsors. Non-sponsor vendors may not post here.

Let's talk about the bull bars and grille guards for Ford F-150

Old 09-10-2014, 10:10 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

carid has a horribly bad reputation.
Let's talk about the bull bars and grille guards for Ford F-150

So, guys, let's talk about the bull bars first. The importance of a bull bar depends on the type of trips you often take. Actually, bull bars have little to do with bulls but they have a lot to do with other animals, specifically deers.
3" Stealth series black powdercoat bull bar by Aries is manufactured to enhance your safety and minimize the damage your Ford F-150 2009-2014 may suffer.
Plus, it also may be useful, if you do not want your new bumper to be scratched while parking.

Aries® - 3" Stealth Series Black Powdercoat Bull Bar

* Made in 3" stainless steel tubing;
* Brushed skid plate in 304 stainless steel included;
* Matching side steps available;

If more protection is what you are looking for, then you have to check out this grille guard by Westin:

Westin® - Sportsman Grille Guard

* Good to fit: Ford F-150 FX2 / FX4 / King Ranch / Lariat / Limited / Platinum / STX / XL / XLT 2013-2014;
* Hood protected by extra center bar;
* Available in polished stainless steel and in mild steel with black powder coat finish;
* Lifetime warranty on stainless steel grille guards;

See prices and other necessary details here: Ford Grill Guards | Push Bars & Running Boards

Which option is the best for you?
Old 09-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Senior User

Truckpilot1329 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Truckpilot1329 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Reading the reviews on these and other "guards" the comments are
always about how nice and shiny they look, how easy it was to
install, or to
attach extra lights.

No one writes about how well they stopped a deer driving 65 mph.
As I, and nowadays, a whole lot of people, live in deer country, I've
experienced first hand what can happen hitting one.
I've also seen bodies being loaded on an ambulance after people
hit an elk.

I feel the only guards that are designed to best protect against a large
animal are the guards that replace the front bumper. And if you know
what I'm talking about, no one says how "good looking" they are.
They're ugly, but brutally strong.

So, you got to decide; do you want a "brush guard" where you can
stick some off road lights, a "bull guard" that offers
some protection on the lower front part of your truck, or do you want a serious animal guard.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:40 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

@ Truckpilot1329

Well you are absolutely right. Bull bars and grille guards offer absolutely different levels of protection. We recommend the bull bars for city and suburban use, mostly to avoid bumps on the traffic or at the parking lots. It also can be used for occasional country trips, where the possibility of hitting a large animal is very low. If you are planning to go serious offroading or long trips then grille guards will be your choice.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:42 PM
Posting Guru

tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.
First, the plural of "deer" is "deer". Not "deers". Second, these are more for looks and as a mounting platform for lights, etc.

Since my fire response district consists of lots of rural roads and we see many collisions with deer, horses, cattle, etc., I guess I can speak with some authority. The lightweight grille guards, like the Westin, actually typically make damage worse. They fold back into the grille and hood. If you are truly looking to add protection to the front end, you need a product like Ranch Hand, Road Armor, etc.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:52 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Arrow

@ tvsjr

Still, as we have mentioned, the bull bars are more for suburban use.
We agree with you, that grille guard will provide much better protection for the front end of your vehicle against deer strike.

Take a look, this guard is the toughest product on the market.

WARN® - Ford F-150 2013-2014 Gen II Trans4mer Mounting System

We are an authorized dealer of the world's best aftermarket manufacturers in industry, such as Onki, Westin, Aries, Go Rhino, SteelCraft.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2014, 06:23 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Moving to the correct forum.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:54 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Hey guys!

Are you still looking for a bull bar? Look no further!

Extra grille protection got more affordable with a 5% discount on all Tuff Bar Grille Guards.

Just apply this coupon code before the check out!

CODE: TUFFB_5-OFF
Old 12-22-2014, 07:44 PM
Posting Guru

Turbo Dog has a good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a good reputation on FTE.
I was looking at an Aires 3" Bull Bar in black for a 2013 F150. Your website doesn't give any dimensions. I can see some tabs on the vertical part of the bar. Are they for mounting a new LED style light? If so, what is the distance between the tabs? I would rather be able to mount a pair of normal round style Hella black magic lights to the horizontal bar. Does it have any tabs for mounting lights?

2013 Ford F-150 / Item # 33151496
Old 12-23-2014, 02:28 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Yes it's possible to install the LED bar on it, but unfortunately the manufacturer did not provide us with the dimensions list. I can make some of our warehouse agents measure it for you. By the way these bull bars do have per-drilled holes for the off-road driving lights on the middle bar, so you can easily install round style Hella lights!
It will be something like this:
Old 12-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Posting Guru

Turbo Dog has a good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a good reputation on FTE.Turbo Dog has a good reputation on FTE.
No need to measure it, I don't want to mount an LED bar on it. I'm still not sure if I want a Bull Bar, or just a Baja style light bar up front.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:30 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Hey guys,

The spring is here and that means that we're ready to start our MARCH MADNESS from Westin!

Now you are just one step away from upgrading the look of your vehicle! We will give you a cash back on every purchase of both of qualifying Westin E-Series Bull Bar and Nerf Step Bars.

Check all the selection of Westin products here: Westin Automotive at CARiD

So once again:

What you need to Get: E-Series Bull Bar & E-Series Nerf Step Bars

How much will you get Back: $50.00

Promo Is Valid For: March 1 – 31, 2016 Hurry up!

Make sure to complete this PDF form and follow instructions to get you cash back.

Let me know if any additional questions appear.