Sponsored by: Moser

Ordered a Snug Top truck cap

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 11:01 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ordered a Snug Top truck cap

It took a year but I finally decided to turn my truck bed into a huge car trunk. I ordered up a Snug Top "Rebel" topper. Should be here in a month. Don't know much about toppers except Snug Top appears to be a very high quality brand and I read an awful lot of complaints about ARE and Leer. So what the heck! Go with the one with fewest complaints!

One of the neat features is the front window folds down so I can get access to clean the truck window. I didn't even know it did that until I ordered. That's pretty cool.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:40 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
Looking forward to pics and good report.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I put one on my 2013 F150 and it has the folding front window and sliding side windows. One thing that I will mention is that it needs a lot of air to ventilate it after you get it. The interior is carpeted and I probably made it worse by adding a BedRug. I now keep the side windows open as much as possible and after a month it is starting to smell better...or not smell at all...that's what I'm after.

It is a high quality cap!

Old 05-30-2013, 05:50 PM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking forward to pics....I've only seen a Leer cap on a new style F150 and I'm not sure if it was the right cap or not but it didn't follow the trucks lines well at all....it overhung the tailgate by about and inch and it didn't follow the top to bottom taper of the cab....didn't look good at all. I had a Leer cap on a lifted Tundra I used to own and it was great, it had the Browning package on it that made the inside carpeted, gave it Yakima racks and a locking gun box....I'd like another cap but I want one that looks like it was made just for the truck.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:35 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
All the caps I've seen on newer F150 look strange in the back. The top of the tailgate itself sticks out past the lines of the truck body. Not so obvious when there is no topper, but very obvious with a topper that has to meet up with that line. It's just going to look kind of funny and I've accepted that outcome.

Mine is not carpeted. That is a $100 option and I don't care enough about carpet to spend $100 extra.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:03 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
The Rebel looks pretty good...and I agree that a top that sticks out doesn't look good. Show us the pics etc. when you get it on!!

Old 05-31-2013, 12:35 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
All the caps I've seen on newer F150 look strange in the back. The top of the tailgate itself sticks out past the lines of the truck body. Not so obvious when there is no topper, but very obvious with a topper that has to meet up with that line. It's just going to look kind of funny and I've accepted that outcome.

Mine is not carpeted. That is a $100 option and I don't care enough about carpet to spend $100 extra.
The easy solution is to replace the whole tailgate with double-doors which is what I did. This may not exactly be the look you're going for, however.

I don't care about carpet up top, but I do have a BedRug installed under the topper. Worth every penny, especially when I have to work on the electronics gear in the back.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:12 PM
DIXIEDOG1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why my truck is still nekkid I don't particularly care for the flare on the tailgate itself either. I would have preferred an old school gate like was on my 2010 F250 with a simple F150 indentation like the Super Duty trucks have....that would have been awesome.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:17 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Got the Snug Top truck cap today. Not happy at all. Some paint chips on side and window frame. Scuff mark on bottom edge. And the worst part is the color doesn't match my truck (too light blue).

Dealer is making excuses and does not have the right attitude at the moment. I can't do anything about it on a Saturday so I'll give the dealer a chance to contact Snug Top on Monday and listen to the dealer's plan. However, I feel like the dealer is calling Snug Top only to give me the impression they tried but actually will not push the issue. I might have to provide some "leadership" to get this resolved.

Not quite sure if it was innocent mistake or on purpose, but it sure appeared that I caught the dealer pocketing my $100 factory rebate by over charging me. They handed me the bill and I asked them to itemize the receipt. They had to rework all the prices and interestingly the math didn't work out the same. They seemed confused and did lower the price without argument. I said I like their new math better and thanked them. I didn't say anything else about that matter because I didn't have to and it wouldn't add any value to the situation.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:23 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Got the Snug Top truck cap today. Not happy at all. Some paint chips on side and window frame. Scuff mark on bottom edge. And the worst part is the color doesn't match my truck (too light blue).

Dealer is making excuses and does not have the right attitude at the moment. I can't do anything about it on a Saturday so I'll give the dealer a chance to contact Snug Top on Monday and listen to the dealer's plan. However, I get the impression the dealer is calling Snug Top only to give me the impression they tried but actually will not push the issue. I might have to provide some "leadership" to get this resolved.
Sory to hear that dude....hope they make it right for you.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:22 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Looking at the topper tonight and noticed the surface is wavy around the windows. Ran my hand over the body and it was indeed really wavy.
Also, they didn't cut out the back window area all the way. Left a big area of fiberglass in upper left hand corner.

Sloppy work and extremely disappointing to me.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:50 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Looking at the topper tonight and noticed the surface is wavy around the windows. Ran my hand over the body and it was indeed really wavy.
Also, they didn't cut out the back window area all the way. Left a big area of fiberglass in upper left hand corner.

Sloppy work and extremely disappointing to me.
Maybe this is fate telling you that you should get a Retrax cover instead!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
My Snug Top color perfectly matches my Flame Blue truck color. It also doesn't have any of the imperfections you described. The fiberglass isn't as perfectly flat as the body panels but I wouldn't call them wavy.

Good luck working with your dealer it sounds like you got a factory second.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:36 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Dealer came back with good news. I can send the topper back for paint match if I choose. Owner of the dealership was quite good about it and validated my concerns, which is all I wanted from the beginning.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Considering the amount of time you could end up owning it, I would send it back. Try to have them fix everything and maybe spend a little more time sanding it flat. Good luck

Quick Reply: Ordered a Snug Top truck cap