1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a 6.7 Cummins and a SD both '15s

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove a 6.7 Cummins and a SD both '15s

Didn't have anything going on today and I have been thinking of trading in my '12 Lariat CC 4x4 with the 6.2 to a diesel.

I love my truck and it does everything I need it too very well. The heaviest I have pulled is a little over 9k. The truck handled it just fine bit it did twist through some good pulls in the north ga/TN mountains. I have driven a 6.7 SD for work pulling a 5k trailer and it was effortless. When I bought my truck I wanted the diesel but my needs didn't warrant it and the budget would not allow it.

Now the money is not a problem and I am trying to decide if it's the right move. I don't drive my truck everyday as I have a company vehicle. Talking to some of you diesels guys it sounds like the 6.7 is doing well even under minor use.

I wanted to drive the dodge and the new SD..... I liked both thy are very nice trucks. However there was key things to both trucks that stood out both good and bad.

Here is my quick observations.

2015 Dodge 2500 Cummins Crew cab 4x4 Laramie

The truck was loaded, it drove very nice and the ride was smooth. Power delivery was ok but not as stout or quick as the SD. I really liked all of the refinements in the dodge. The information screen was nice and provided a lot of info. I really like the Sony stereo and the nab display was great! I also liked the storage compartments in the floor behind the front seats and I like how the rear floor is open when the sets are flipped up. The seats were nice but not as comfy sat the SD.... Also the door panels are not as wide where they meet the window.... I like to rest my arm there and it's just small.

2015 CC lariat 4x4 6.7

Pretty much the truck is identical to my '12 ..... It does not seem like much has changed as far as interior. I do like the Nav which my truck does not have. The seats are unchanged but much better than the dodge. The 6.7 is very stout and I live it! I am disappointed in the lack of technology by Ford. The info in the display screen seems unchanged and does not provided near as much info as the dodge. To me a $64k truck should have a lot more bells and whistles.

At this point I am not sure what I want to do...... Basically the new truck is the same as what I have so the only real upgrade is the engine.

I just can't see spending the money for the diesel if the rest of the truck is the same.

Maybe the redesign will have a lot more advancements in technology. I may hold out for a '16 or just keep what I have..... After all I really love my ride and it does what I new it too.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:53 PM
redford
Received 1,564 Likes on 912 Posts
It's just too bad that that Cummins engine comes wrapped in a DODGE.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:02 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
I drove a long horn when I was buying my kr. The ford 6.7 blew the cumminapart away power wise. Also felt like I may well be sitting in a wood chair while in the fiat. This was back in 2011 now, so maybe things have changed....

Also the tribal flames stitched into the fiat seats....didn't do it for me...

Old 09-01-2014, 04:04 PM
redford
Received 1,564 Likes on 912 Posts
All I know is that there are quite a few 6 year old Dodges running around this part of the country that are just beater rust buckets. Bumpers, fenders and rockers just rusted out.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:11 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Rusty rams seems to be the norm around here as well

Old 09-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Yeah the first thing I noticed was the seats...... They are just not as comfy as the SD.

The rest of the truck did seem a little cheap compared. I really did not like the mirrors at all they were really bad!

I really like the 6.7 in the SD but honestly it's a lot of money for just an engine upgrade. That truck stickerd for $64 and the only difference from it to mine was the diesel option and the Nav. So it would cost me $18k or so more to get into to that truck.

I would not hesitate if the truck had more things that were added from the previous years. It just really seems like the same truck.......

Old 09-01-2014, 05:24 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Buy the one that tickles your taint. Pretty much everything you brought up to compare is bells-and-whistles, toys, or which high end leather is the highest end, it's all subjective. If you want to blow almost twenty grand in mostly off-the-lot depreciation because a Ram fancy touch screen that shows you a map is fancier than a Ford fancy touch screen that shows you a map, well it doesn't really matter if anyone but you likes it.

Or better yet, keep the money, buy a bass boat or a '69 GTO or something cooler than an essentially identical truck.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:31 PM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I traded my '12 in on a '15 last Friday and already like the improvements. I haven't pulled with it yet but running empty it shifts much smoother. The 3 to 4 shift which banged on the '12 is hardly noticeable. So far I haven't noticed the rear end hop that the '12 had at certain speeds. Also with several hundred miles still no regen. I'm hoping they somehow increased the DPF soot capacity which would make for fewer regens. My CTS shows 3.30 soot level and I'm waiting for one to start. This ones got the tailgate step and at first though it to be more or less gimmick, but with my aging knees I find it to be quite useful with the hand pole to help me pull myself up.

I never considered a Dodge or Duramax but mainly because I think the SD looks better. JMO

Old 09-01-2014, 07:42 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've only driven a 2013 ram 2500 hemi and I can honestly say it was very uncomfortable to ride in. Ride quality was better then my sd but the seats and doors were horrible. Plus I tend to drive with my head back against the head rest and there is a hard metal bar in the ram headrest that you feel immediately. Still the same old piles of junk in my opinion. Making is pretty will not compensate for its lack of truckness to me

Old 09-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Buy the one that tickles your taint. Pretty much everything you brought up to compare is bells-and-whistles, toys, or which high end leather is the highest end, it's all subjective. If you want to blow almost twenty grand in mostly off-the-lot depreciation because a Ram fancy touch screen that shows you a map is fancier than a Ford fancy touch screen that shows you a map, well it doesn't really matter if anyone but you likes it. Or better yet, keep the money, buy a bass boat or a '69 GTO or something cooler than an essentially identical truck.
I think you may have misunderstood what I said or I did not say it well enough.

After driving both trucks there is no comparison..... The Ford is by far better and I like it a lot! I m saying that there is more technology in the dodge. There is a lot more info displayed in the info screen and other small items like that. I also think that Ford could have made some more improvements. Going from my current '12 lariat to a '15 the only real difference is the Nav and the engine.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:45 PM
PaxtonShelby
Senior User
Save some $$ and don't get the nav - smartphones and Sync can work together and not cost you a couple grand.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:33 AM
zimm
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
But Nav can help the resale and it doesn't cost much extra...

You said it stickers for $64k, but you should be able to get at least $9k off of that. Negotiate the sales price first, then negotiate trade in separate. They're two sepearate deals despite what a salesman will tell ya. You get to save on sales tax with a trade in- you only pay the tax on the differential. Factor in you are re-upping your warranties too and it might start making more financial sense....