technical thoughts about wmo and timing, surging, and drivability concerns

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 10:39 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
technical thoughts about wmo and timing, surging, and drivability concerns

I've been running wmo for quite some time now, and have some thoughts bouncing around my head about it.
1) I've heard multiple guys around here acknowledge the surging that seems to just happen for us oil burners. I've been analyzing it every time I drive and think I have a decent understanding of what's actually happening. I used to think I was suffering from fuel starvation, but now I don't think that's the case most of the time.
2) my current theory is that all this surging and variations in performance is caused by improper timing control. I notice what seems to be the timing going far advanced, making excessive clatter and more power than normal. I used to blame this on air intrusion, but now I think otherwise. Other moments on the road I seem to lose power but not completely. I believe this is the timing going retarded. In these events I have no clatter at all, it sounds like a gas motor, and I can maintain speed but not up hills, it's gutless at these times.
And it goes back and forth between these two conditions quickly, too quickly for it to be fuel starvation or air intrusion.
The prevalence of this issue directly correlates to the percentage of used oil in my fuel, with it performing normally on pump fuel.

So all that said, I'm thinking that the problem is clearly that the timing controls inside the injection pump are responding randomly when the fuel is too thick.

Does anyone have any input on my theories?
Obviously the simple response is to adjust my fuel mix to a level that works right, which I'm running around 75% oil in one tank and mostly pump fuel in the other.

I have a ferett timing meter and set it properly when I installed the pump, so I know my base settings are correct.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:17 PM
MNBen
Freshman User
I have not experienced this in my '02 F250. My mix is 2/3 wmo 1/3 d2.
What are you driving.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:31 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
I'm running an 87 e350 with a 6.9, so a whole different fuel system than your 02 has.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:55 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no personal experience yet, as I am still juggling with converting my 94. 7.3 into electric fuel. I have also been reading up on converting my second tank into being able to handle straight bio once I do.
But, my buddy has used WMO before, he said his power issues were related to fuel temps pre-injector and the size of the pre and post fuel filters getting clogged up. Do you use a heated fuel filter element? Also, are your injectors rated to run bio without issues?

Old 12-27-2014, 10:27 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
josh you may want to back off on the oil some, you may be putting the fire out..

Old 01-01-2015, 12:10 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by joshofalltrades
I've been running wmo for quite some time now, and have some thoughts bouncing around my head about it.
1) I've heard multiple guys around here acknowledge the surging that seems to just happen for us oil burners. I've been analyzing it every time I drive and think I have a decent understanding of what's actually happening. I used to think I was suffering from fuel starvation, but now I don't think that's the case most of the time.
2) my current theory is that all this surging and variations in performance is caused by improper timing control. I notice what seems to be the timing going far advanced, making excessive clatter and more power than normal. I used to blame this on air intrusion, but now I think otherwise. Other moments on the road I seem to lose power but not completely. I believe this is the timing going retarded. In these events I have no clatter at all, it sounds like a gas motor, and I can maintain speed but not up hills, it's gutless at these times.
And it goes back and forth between these two conditions quickly, too quickly for it to be fuel starvation or air intrusion.
The prevalence of this issue directly correlates to the percentage of used oil in my fuel, with it performing normally on pump fuel.

So all that said, I'm thinking that the problem is clearly that the timing controls inside the injection pump are responding randomly when the fuel is too thick.

Does anyone have any input on my theories?
Obviously the simple response is to adjust my fuel mix to a level that works right, which I'm running around 75% oil in one tank and mostly pump fuel in the other.

I have a ferett timing meter and set it properly when I installed the pump, so I know my base settings are correct.
It could also have something to do with a 'sticky' governor -- instead of regulating correctly, it will produce surging and a 'laggy' pedal. I've experienced this with regular diesel, and I'm not sure what the exact cause is -- I'm thinking grease/goo building up in some tight tolerance location inside the pump.

That being said, I wonder... If you're using WMO, why not add a few percent gasoline to the mix? It will reduce the viscosity signifigantly(according to one page I read, each 10% gas you add reduces the viscosity by 50%), and considering all of the engine oil, I don't think you need to worry about lubricity...

I've also talked with a guy who ran a WVO/gas mix in his old car; I forget the exact engine, but it was up in the 400-500K range with most of that on the mix -- he just mixed the stuff up, let it settle for a long time, filtered off the top and ran it.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:08 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Where is your WMO coming from? could also be other carbon fuels in the oil causing its flash point to change.

Diesel Rod