1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Can this Rim be saved?

Old 08-31-2014, 03:34 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 755 Likes on 369 Posts
Can this Rim be saved?

I was cleaning up my rims to get ready for new tires and I found this weld repair.
I'm sure it's been this way for 50+ years. I would guess it was a farm repair. Do you think it could be salvaged or should I start shopping for a new rim?
I plan on taking it to my tire guy the first chance I get, but I thought I would get your advice as well.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:36 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Maybe I should get these. They are outies, but that doesn't matter to me too much.
16 inch steel ford rims with 8/6.5 bolt pattern

Old 08-31-2014, 04:20 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
I have seen worse repaired by competent wheel repair places. With the equipment I have here I would repair it and use it baring any other issues. It is not like it wheel be a 100 mph wheel.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:47 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts
Looks to me like the crack has extended beyond the weld. Not a very nice weld, IMO. A different wheel would be my first choice. If the other wheel could not happen, I would grind it down to wheel metal and re weld it. I would try to determine why it cracked in the first place. What does it look like inside? A good weld and it should be fine. Have any idea why it cracked in the first place?
Edit: You will be running tubeless, will you not?

Old 08-31-2014, 05:01 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Yeah, it does look like a pretty terrible weld. I will be running tubeless. Since I have tubes now, that could be saving me at the moment.

I have no idea why it cracked. I'm sure it cracked before I was born. That does concern me now that I think about it. I will see what they say, but I'm more inclined to abandon this rim...

I will pursue the craigslist add. Shoot that has 3 decent tires on the rims for less than one new tire of that size. I could also still use the split ring rims that I have. My tire guy does still do those for $20 a tire more. Shoot he even mentioned that he has done widowmakers not too long ago. That's nuts.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:02 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by truckeemtnfords
I have seen worse repaired by competent wheel repair places. With the equipment I have here I would repair it and use it baring any other issues. It is not like it wheel be a 100 mph wheel.
That's a good point, but if I can get a replacement for a decent price....I can also look around for a shop that will repair this rim. Gotta keep my options open.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:07 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I have no idea if that rim is safe. But I would prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to wheels.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:26 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Its hard to believe it cracked there and yet is straight, from what I see? I can't think what would make a crack in that orientation other than overinflation, or a tire machine "malfunction", but any force like that would distort the rim so much I wouldn't expect it to be straight. It didn't rust out, did it?

I'd get rid of it myself.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:27 PM
TireDood
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Our Tire Industry Association training specifically states to NEVER inflate a tire on a wheel that has been welded. I would not use it under any circumstances.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:44 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Its hard to believe it cracked there and yet is straight, from what I see? I can't think what would make a crack in that orientation other than overinflation, or a tire machine "malfunction", but any force like that would distort the rim so much I wouldn't expect it to be straight. It didn't rust out, did it?

I'd get rid of it myself.
I don't think it rusted out, but it's hard to say. I'm sure the tire hasn't been off since 1970 or before. I had the same concern of how that crack got there and what unseen dangers are there.

Originally Posted by TireDood
Our Tire Industry Association training specifically states to NEVER inflate a tire on a wheel that has been welded. I would not use it under any circumstances.
Well, that about sums it up.

This is annoying, but what should I expect on a truck this old. Time to step back and look around for options. It's not like I'm in a real rush....

Old 08-31-2014, 05:49 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts
About welding on rims. If the old memory is right, the test for CDL has a walk around question about welded rims and to take the truck out of service if you find a weld on a rim. Crap, most of the steel truck rims I've ever looked at have been welded together. Yeah, I know, controlled conditions. Just think it is funny as all get out.
If I were to repair that rim, you would have to look long and hard to tell it had been welded. Smooth on the outside and welded with good penetration on the inside.

2005 Commercial Driver’s License Manual
Section 2 – Driving Safely Page 2-2
Version: July 2013
Wheel and Rim Problems
Damaged rims.
Rust around wheel nuts may mean the nuts are
loose--check tightness. After a tire has been
changed, stop a short while later and re-check
tightness of nuts.
Missing clamps, spacers, studs, or lugs means
danger.
Mismatched, bent, or cracked lock rings are
dangerous.
Wheels or rims that have had welding repairs
are not safe

Old 08-31-2014, 06:59 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Well I guess I don't need to bother taking it to my tire guy. Your info is pretty clear. Thanks for all the good info guys. Time for some rim shopping. I really don't want to use the split ring either.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:09 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
So do you guys know what years I can find similar rims? I know mine have the innie tabs. I'm not concerned about that. Outies are fine, but I would like that stock look.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:10 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Here is a picture of what I have.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:25 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
Joe - I'm away from the books so can't be specific, but iirc the innie 16" x 6" F-2/250 wheels were used from 1948 until the mid 1960s. Stu

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can this Rim be saved?