6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

F350 purchase questions, help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:20 AM
ctimrun
Tuned
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
F350 purchase questions, help please

Am working on a deal for an F350, possibly going this morning to try to get it done. What should the discounts be for a 14 compared to a 15? I would think pretty deep due to new model year and motor updates on the 15, but hoping someone could give me their opinion on how much off MSRP would be a good deal on a 14 with an MSRP of $63050. Should I shoot for $10K off MSRP? I have an X-plan pin but I have heard that it doesn't always help.

If I can get that much off of a 14 would it still be smart to pay more for the 15?

Seems like the 6.7's are pretty reliable, are you guys recommending an extended warranty of any type at time of purchase or can I find a good deal on one later on down the road if it's necessary?

The 14 I am considering is a short bed and it has the 5th wheel prep package in it. I have limited 5th wheel knowledge but am hoping to upgrade down the road. Is Ford's 5th wheel hitch prep package in a short bed a waste? Wouldn't I want a sliding hitch in a short bed? Is there a slider that will mount on Ford's mounts?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I didn't have much luck researching these issues over the last day or so. Thanks ahead of time for any advice you can give me.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:39 AM
lundman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
?

I'm not exactly sure but I don't think you can get a 5th wheel hitch in the Ford short bed? And I would think that option for option the better discount would have to be on the 2014.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:03 AM
mmm635
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lundman
I'm not exactly sure but I don't think you can get a 5th wheel hitch in the Ford short bed? And I would think that option for option the better discount would have to be on the 2014.
You can get the fifth wheel prep package on the short bed. There are quite a few members on this board that have them.

OP...yes, you do want a slider or an adjusting fifth wheel hitch. Otherwise, you will run into headaches down the road. Honestly, if you plan on using it quite a bit, then I would strongly suggest getting a long bed. That is the very reason why I have a long bed. Had a slider in my short bed and was a pain in the a$$.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:15 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
one other thing to think about, considering you said 5th wheel. the shortbed only has a 26 gal diesel tank.

you can change it to an after market Titan 50 gal for $1300-1500 + labor if you don't do it yourself.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:52 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Have had several short beds in the past I would not buy one today. Long bed is the only way to go now with the reduced fuel capacity because of the def.

So with the long bed you don't need a slider plus you will have 300 miles at least towing range.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:50 AM
JandC
Junior User
I agree with most of what has been said. I didn't get the factory 5th wheel prep but got the snow plow option instead. Just thought it was more important to get heavier front springs. I have the 6.5' box and wish I would have gotten the 8' box, the small fuel tank is a pain. I have a Reese slider hitch which I really like. The way my Montana 5th wheel is configured in the front I have never had to slide the hitch when maneuvering into a spot. About 90% of the newer 5th wheels are made to work better with short bed boxes. Just my opinions, but if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change anything on my truck options except for getting the long bed.

As far as price goes, tons of things will figure into those discounts. Remember, if you buy the 2014 instead of the 2015 you will still take additional depreciation for being almost 2 years old.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:53 AM
Wizness
Senior User
You should be getting over 10K. In TX it's pretty much standard.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:35 AM
2015F350
Senior User
I could have gotten 10k off a 14 but I wanted the upgraded features on the 15 as a result I got 8k off MSRP on the 15. Stick to your guns Not a lot of people can afford to buy a 60-70k truck. The cards are in your favor.
Get the long bed for towing.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:37 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ctimrun
Am working on a deal for an F350, possibly going this morning to try to get it done. What should the discounts be for a 14 compared to a 15? I would think pretty deep due to new model year and motor updates on the 15, but hoping someone could give me their opinion on how much off MSRP would be a good deal on a 14 with an MSRP of $63050. Should I shoot for $10K off MSRP? I have an X-plan pin but I have heard that it doesn't always help.
Shoot for $15K off the MSRP. Be prepared to thank them for their time and walk out if they don't want to come down to your offer price. I bought a '14 last week and got more than $14K off. They met my offer price pretty quickly so I think they would have gone lower. I've had X-plan pricing in the past and found it really only benefits the dealer in the negotiation as they use it as a firm-fixed price. Good Luck!

Edit: I've got the short bed and a slider hitch 5th wheel. While I agree that the long bed would be easier to tow with and gets the bigger tank, the long bed doesn't maneuver my suburban hell that well. And when towing long distances I have to pull over every 200 miles anyway so the wife, kids and dogs can take a potty break.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:44 PM
wtxdxer
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ctimrun
The 14 I am considering is a short bed and it has the 5th wheel prep package in it. I have limited 5th wheel knowledge but am hoping to upgrade down the road. Is Ford's 5th wheel hitch prep package in a short bed a waste? Wouldn't I want a sliding hitch in a short bed? Is there a slider that will mount on Ford's mounts?
I've ordered an F250 short bed with the 5th wheel hitch prep. I already have a B&W non-sliding hitch waiting to be set in. My 5th wheel has the max turn type front cap. The newer 5th wheels with the max turn caps are made to be pulled with short bed trucks. If you buy an older 5th wheel with the square front cap you'll either need a slider or a long bed.

My neighbor has a Dodge 3500 dually megacab with a 6' short bed. He tows a 44' 5th wheel with the max turn front cap. He doesn't have a slider. I asked him a few days ago if he's ever had a problem and he said no.

If you really want a slider I think Reese makes one that fits the Ford prep package.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:46 PM
2015F350
Senior User
Originally Posted by wtxdxer
I've ordered an F250 short bed with the 5th wheel hitch prep. I already have a B&W non-sliding hitch waiting to be set in. My 5th wheel has the max turn type front cap. The newer 5th wheels with the max turn caps are made to be pulled with short bed trucks. If you buy an older 5th wheel with the square front cap you'll either need a slider or a long bed.

My neighbor has a Dodge 3500 dually megacab with a 6' short bed. He tows a 44' 5th wheel with the max turn front cap. He doesn't have a slider. I asked him a few days ago if he's ever had a problem and he said no.

If you really want a slider I think Reese makes one that fits the Ford prep package.
The fifth wheel hitch by Reese for ford is only a 16k hitch for the short bed truck. You cannot get the 18k hitch for the short bed. If you get the long bed you can get the 18k or 25k hitch that fits the pucks. This is probably due to the fact the fifth wheel max tow for the F250-F350 is 15,900. I would bet that ford is not going to put a hitch in a short bed truck that would violate the max tow rating. How much does your neighbors trailer weigh? Just because he can tow it, does not mean he should if he is over the max weight. There is also stopping, if you were to get into an accident towing more than the recommended weight you will be held liable for the cause of the accident. These are other considerations.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:01 PM
wtxdxer
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 2015F350
How much does your neighbors trailer weigh? Just because he can tow it, does not mean he should if he is over the max weight. There is also stopping, if you were to get into an accident towing more than the recommended weight you will be held liable for the cause of the accident.
My neighbor has the B&W Companion for the Dodge 5th wheel prep. The B&W for Dodge is rated for a 25000 lb trailer weight. He hold me his 5th wheel weighs 18000 lbs.

I don't see a Reese Elite 16K hitch that fits the Ford prep, only 18K and 25K. Don't know how the hitch knows if it's in a short bed or long bed truck.

The point of my post was not needing a sliding hitch if the front cap of the 5th wheel has the max turn technology.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:01 PM
OldHat
Freshman User
I could have gotten 10k off a 14 but I wanted the upgraded features on the 15 as a result I got 8k off MSRP on the 15. Stick to your guns Not a lot of people can afford to buy a 60-70k truck. The cards are in your favor.
Are you including existing incentives? Just curious. I'm about to buy as well.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:12 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
The fifth wheel hitch by Reese for ford is only a 16k hitch for the short bed truck. You cannot get the 18k hitch for the short bed. If you get the long bed you can get the 18k or 25k hitch that fits the pucks. This is probably due to the fact the fifth wheel max tow for the F250-F350 is 15,900. I would bet that ford is not going to put a hitch in a short bed truck that would violate the max tow rating. How much does your neighbors trailer weigh? Just because he can tow it, does not mean he should if he is over the max weight. There is also stopping, if you were to get into an accident towing more than the recommended weight you will be held liable for the cause of the accident. These are other considerations.
This is completely wrong. Reese Elite, the unit Ford private labels, comes in 18k or 25k. There is no such thing as a Reese Elite or Ford 16k hitch. The 18k is the unit is generally sold with the short bed trucks, but the pucks are the same for either so either the 18k or 25k will drop into the factory prep no matter what the bed length.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
With incentives I got $9k off a 2015 and that is up in the land of notoriously NO discounts. Although we make up for that with no sales tax...

I used to get short beds and won't any more either.

Quick Reply: F350 purchase questions, help please