Getting the Gas Tank Out of The Cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 09:32 PM
Ca bruce
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
I own a 1964 F100 with the cab mounted gas tank. Personally, I don't much care for sitting on 18 gallons of very volitile fuel. I was wondering if any of you have tackled switching your gas tank over to the "cowl mount" tank that the Ford shop manual mentions, and has diagramed (Fig 1, Page 10-43)? I have looked everywhere for this type of tank, either new or used, with no luck. I have seen some of the bed mounted boxes people have built to get the tank out of the cab, but this isn't an option for me as I have a matched vintage cabover camper on this truck that occupies the entire bed. It's an interesting sight when I take it out camping. Get a lot of remarks about reminding people of their childhood camping days. The camper is cherry, but the truck has a ways to go to get to that level.

Old 07-25-2003, 06:27 AM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd post a wanted ad in the classifieds. I have seen add on tanks on these trucks in the junk yard. Usually they kept the in cab tank and added more tanks under the truck bed. Check the archives here there was some discussion a while back from another fellow in CA that had a connection with a company that made tanks to order (not cheap) but nice! There are several companies that make after market tanks that fit where the spare tire goes. Most of the campers I have seen had the spare tire in front of the radiator.

Old 07-27-2003, 10:30 AM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 65 Camper Special parts truck that has some neat auxillary tanks on it. They mount in the bed, in front of the wheelwells. With the camper on it, this space was unused anyway. They have filler necks that stick above the bedsides and there are fittings for the lines to come out the bottom (some drilling required in bed). You must have to guess when they were full as there are no sending units. I will try to get some photos.