1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

One of those nights

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:23 AM
quinletc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of those nights

I had lots of little stuff on my list to accomplish tonight, and it was an adventure. The 72 F-250 is named Harriet. My daughter will be driving it to school; therefore, she got to name it. She wanted an old-fashioned girl's name.

Harriet kicked my butt tonight.

First, my daughter had a church thing tonight, so I let her drive Harriet over there - she needs as much practice with me in the truck with her as possible before she turns 16 on Friday. You may recall from last week's posts that Harriet's fuel gauge is not working. On my way home, I filled her up. I had forgotten that I had taken the sending unit out, and at the first bump, gas came sloshing out. I covered it with a rag and hung my head out the window the rest of the way home.

First order of business, of course, was to put the new float on the sending unit and re-install. But the rubber washers for the screws were dried out and crumbled. Back to Lowe's with my head out the window. Miraculously, they had exactly what I needed. Back home, fighting for oxygen the whole way. I put the unit in the tank, and then realize I am still holding the gasket. I get gas on myself for the 18th time in an hour when I take the unit back out and put the gasket over the arm. Finally, the fuel sending unit install is done.

Now I am ready to tackle the temperature sending unit. It should have been obvious to me by now that I needed to slow down and think things through. But I didn't. With no other preparation, I start backing out the defunct sending unit. Suddenly, and emerald version of Old Faithful appears under Harriet's hood, as coolant erupts from the top of the engine. Fortunately, it wasn't too hot, or I'd be typing this from the ER. My momma didn't raise no quitter, so I finished the job. Both formerly dead gauges are now working.

Because I didn't want my dog or cat to lick up the green coolant, I hosed off the top of the engine and then flooded the driveway with water. We'll come back to this.

I go pick up my daughter (in Fred, the 2010 F-150), and we hit AutoZone for some coolant and Fabreez. I tell her why we need coolant, and she laughs uproariously at my misfortune. Teenagers...

I put most of the gallon of coolant in the radiator and go to start the engine. No joy. After multiple efforts, it finally starts, but is running really rough and cuts out after a few seconds. This happens several times. I am hoping i just got something wet that didn't want to be wet when I hosed off the coolant. I decide that a run up and down the interstate is what Harriet needs. Turns out I speak her language, because after 10 minutes at 60mph, she is back in fine form, purring like a kitten at idle.

The driver's side window crank has no ****. I install the new one I got... backwards. That little pin is NOT easy to get back out, but I did eventually get it and install it correctly. Whew!

The windshield washer hoses were all totally rotted away, though the pump still works... 70% of the time. It's finicky. I install the new lines, but the passenger side squirter is aimed inside the cowl. I get it re-aimed, but then realize my new line is nowhere to be seen. I find it, hanging on at the other end (at the splitter), put some adhesive on the squirter and stick the hose back on. After letting the glue set, I try again, and get two streams on the windshield, but I also have a bonus stream, shooting out on the inside of the passenger-side fender. While I am no quitter, I did decide that this is a problem for another day.

Last, I have a second-hand wheel that was fairly rusty around the edges. I got out the wire brush for my 1/2" drill and started scrubbing off the rust. When I finished that, I used Rustoleum Filler/Primer on all the inside surfaces of the wheel. Nothing bad happened with the wheel, so I figured it was time to hang up the tools for the night.

A few questions that arose over the course of the night:

1. I cannot find a mark, window, or any other type of indication how full I should fill my radiator. There's no overflow. Anyone know how full it should be?

2. Is there any particular trick to getting the windshield washer host to stay on the connection to the squirter? Tiny clamp? Nylon line tied around the hose? Silicone gasket goop?

3. On the inside surfaces of the wheel, what kind of paint should I use? Do I even need paint, or will the primer be enough, since it will be protected from outside elements by the tire?

Old 08-27-2014, 01:30 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
1. The radiator is filled to the point of just covering the cooling tubes. Coolant will expand when heated so it leaves room.

2. The ww hoses are a slip fit. It is likely that whatever you are using has too big of an inside diameter.

3. Don't leave it primer because primer is still porous (unless it is epoxy primer or primer/sealer. Apply a top coat.

Harriet is coming along well but sounds like she can be ornery. You'll know when you're on her good side.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:46 AM
quinletc
Senior User
1. That's what I did, so I guess I got something right on the first try.

2. Using a kit from NPD. Supposed to be correct for a 72, but it did seem like it should be tighter. I guess I am going to find out if they have decent customer service.

3. Got it. Thanks!

Old 08-27-2014, 06:46 AM
Ozarktraveler
Senior User
Oh yeah. Building memories she'll be telling her kids years from now. :-)

Old 08-27-2014, 09:18 AM
quinletc
Senior User
One more question - with the limited information provided above, why do you think my 360 was running rough and cutting out?

Water and/or coolant in the wrong place?

If so, what would be your guess as to what it was that I got wet?

If not, then what?

Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Ozarktraveler
Senior User
Moisture in the distributor or spark plug wires can do it. From either the coolant spill or the hose down.

I once spilled anti-freeze on an '85 Camaro dizzy and it would only act up briefly on damp days until I figured it out. My guess in that situation, was that the anti-freeze residue would attract moisture until engine heat dried it out. It would be ok until the motor cooled off and there was enough moisture in the air to make it act up again on damp days/mornings.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:54 AM
quinletc
Senior User
What did you do to get the residue out?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Ozarktraveler
Senior User
Took the dizzy cap off. No easy feat with its location in the Camaro, low and hidden on the 4-cylinder equipped model I had. Cleaned with contact cleaner. Dizzy is on passenger side, on the block, under the TBI unit and A/C drier.

Last edited by Ozarktraveler; 08-27-2014 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Add pic of 4-cyl