Sponsored by: DP Tuner

NO START....Did I speak toooooo sooon?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:15 PM
bike_guy123
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO START....Did I speak toooooo sooon?

I think I may have spoke too soon about how good my truck runs...well, today she quit on me and I can't get it started back up.

Question....Is it possible to Flood a diesel?

I just put my WVO tank back in (after paint work) and I know there was probably some air in the lines and figured that is why it quit....it has happened before, several times but I had NO problems getting it to start after that....

My truck started to shutter and it slowly died. I quickly flipped the switch to try an get some diesel back up in to the bowl and hoped it would smooth out....Well, I was too late on the draw this time around.

The truck died and here is what I did. I drained the fuel bowl and removed the filter. I cycled the key and and wasn't getting any fuel into the bowl, just air. I know there was pressure there because I put my finger over the hole to see. So, while my dad cycled the ignition, I put my finger over the top hole in the fuel bowl and BINGO, I now have fuel filling the fuel bowl.....I drained the bowl again, put fresh diesel in the bowl, replaced the old filter with new......crank and nothing, just cranking.
It should be noted, I cranked and cranked while it was on the side of the road, it would act as if it wanted to start......but eventually not even sputtering.......it just turns over with no igniting.....

Any suggestions......I gave up for tonight, I though letting it sit overnight may be the solution? Again, is it possible to flood a diesel?

Old 08-26-2014, 09:49 PM
bike_guy123
Senior User
If I put it this way, I starved it for fuel....almost like I ran it out of fuel....where should I start?

Old 08-27-2014, 05:10 AM
bdpotts
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
oil level is good?
batteries have a good charge?
do you have a spare cam shaft position sensor?
as far as flooding it, i don't think its possible due to the throttle assembly design and how it ties into the PCM.
i don't want to give you bad info… its late here in oakland (3am). i'm sure as guys wake up they'll chime in.
good luck!

Old 08-27-2014, 05:29 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You cant flood a diesel, it will come out the exhaust ports, and if it cranks it's not hydrolocked, cam sensor, did you unplug the ICPS and see if it starts?

Old 08-27-2014, 05:32 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the pump is pushing air into the filter housing, it's either getting air out of the tank, or there's a break in a line. How much fuel is in the tank?

Old 08-27-2014, 06:39 AM
Mowing Man
Elder User
Just another idea- once, after putting my engine back in, I hooked up the return and supply lines backwards. (I usually disconnect them down by the frame rails where the flex changes into hard line) Not sure if you had any lines disconnected, but if not, turn the key in and listen for the fuel pump. Maybe your luck is as bad as mine and your pump just 'coincidentally' died while you were painting.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:22 AM
bike_guy123
Senior User
oil in the res is good. batteries are good.

I am going to try unplugging the ICP this morning and see if that does anything to remedy the situation. I pulled it apart and there was some oil on the connections but otherwise the outside of it is clean. I figured the little bit of oil on that may be normal?

Right now, the fuel filter for the bowl is out and the bowl is full of fuel. When I turn the key on, air bubbles come into the fuel bowl unless I put my finger over the return line port, then I get fuel????

The Diesel fuel tank is a little over a quarter full.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 AM
blackgold50
Junior User
tank is quarter full? My truck starts sputtering at about half a tank because of air in the system.....
Brian

Old 08-27-2014, 08:46 AM
bike_guy123
Senior User
ill try filling the tank some and see what I get.....maybe I lost the foot in my tank?....

Old 08-27-2014, 11:03 AM
bike_guy123
Senior User
Is it possible the lift pump is bad.....seems to me if I tap on it, the fuel flow picks up some....

Also, the buzzing sound on the passenger side fender is hit and miss....sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt. I am guessing this is not normal.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:28 AM
andys350
Freshman User
I thought with the fuel filter out the check valve would close. with the filter installed it opens the inlet check valve line from the fuel pump. correct me if I'm wrong?

Old 08-27-2014, 12:51 PM
bike_guy123
Senior User
If you are talking about the check valve in the center of the bowl....that would be correct.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:33 PM
andys350
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bike_guy123
oil in the res is good. batteries are good.

Right now, the fuel filter for the bowl is out and the bowl is full of fuel. When I turn the key on, air bubbles come into the fuel bowl unless I put my finger over the return line port, then I get fuel????
Not sure how you are getting fuel if the filter is removed (check valve should be closed)and you are putting your finger over the return line and your getting fuel.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:40 PM
bike_guy123
Senior User
Originally Posted by andys350
Not sure how you are getting fuel if the filter is removed (check valve should be closed)and you are putting your finger over the return line and your getting fuel.
There is a check valve in the center which delivers fuel to the HPOP....the fuel line inlet on the drivers side of the fuel bowl, and above that there is a fuel return line port. I am not touching the check valve.....

I think I may have it licked. I wasn't getting any smoke out the tail pipe at all yesterday and this morning.....My WVO system has purge system on it, I am using that to purge the air out of the lines with the fuel filter in. This should be my saving grace I think.....After purging with the WVO system, my truck is rumbling and I have smoke.....

letting the batteries charge for a bit now for full cranking speed and we shall see what happens......I am thinking START.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:44 PM
andys350
Freshman User
Originally Posted by bike_guy123

I just put my WVO tank back in (after paint work) and I know there was probably some air in the lines and figured that is why it quit....it has happened before, several times but I had NO problems getting it to start after that....
I would go back and double check all your fuel lines. I'm thinking a pluming problem.

Quick Reply: NO START....Did I speak toooooo sooon?