2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts
View Poll Results: Should Ford Have Kept the 6.2L V8 for the 2015 F150?
Yes, it should be able across the lineup.
58.41%
Yes, but only on high end models like in 2014
8.85%
No, it isnt needed and the previous take rate proves that.
32.74%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Question of the Week: Should Ford have kept the 6.2L V8 for the 2015 F150?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
I voted yes. Its practically a big block and to see a big block being taken out of the F150 line up sucks. Wish they would introduce a 351 back into the mix. Yes the 5.0L has great potential but sometimes you need a bit more power in a larger engine.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:46 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03 SVT VERT
I wouldn't be so sure:

5.0L V8 Engine Weight:444lbs
3.5L Ecoboost engine weight: 450lbs
6.2L Engine weight: 580lbs

So you've got an extra 130lbs just in engine weight. Then you've got more weight tied up in the body and chassis to support offering that larger heavier engine. All that extra weight hurts your performance and payload capability. It totally goes against what they were going for with the new truck (smaller, less weight, more capable).

The next generation of ecoboost is said to be in the neighborhood of 400hp with more torque overall and a MUCH better torque curve than the 6.2L, all while being a much lighter engine.

So the question is, is it really worth it for Ford to offer a naturally aspirated 6.2L when they can get better performance all around from their turbo 3.5L? Especially when sales numbers have shown people are more than happy with their smaller displacement engine offerings?
Sales numbers reflect what manufacturers are pushing, look up the percentage of 6.2's built / sold.So those sales numbers also reflect that people were more than happy with the 6.2L also. As far as the performance, my Harley was built more for speed, and my cousin has a 2011 F150 EB (same year) we have pulled trailers together on the same trip, basically the same weight (just under 7K for each) both trucks were crew cabs, both had 3.73 gear sets, etc.. While TOWING, the 6.2L worked alot less harder and actually had better fuel economy, (hard for me to believe also at the time). I am in no way down rating the EB whatsoever, it is a marvel of design, I personally prefer the 6.2L, as a lot more folks do than folks would like to admit. Not saying folks aren't satisfied with the EB or 5.0L, as you have stated, sales numbers prove that out. But Ford did push the EB alot more than any other engine. Back to the fuel economy, mine wasn't ever "stellar", and I never expected it to be, but when towing on the interstate (mentioned above) I averaged better fuel economy, now unloaded, he had way better fuel mileage.
If you paired them off side by side (and we did) he would jump me on the hole shot, but that's it, I came around everytime...and the torque curve was better on the EB in the 2011 / 14 trucks..... (for discussion purposes) they would still be the same as the current platform, all would be lighter.
So, I still say in the new platform, there are areas that the 6.2L is going to outperform the other 2 offerings, naturally the overall cost of ownership in relation to fuel costs, it will never be lower than the other two, but that's the only advantage I can see. Strictly my opinion though.

As far as it being worth it for Ford to offer a naturally aspirated large displacement V8, I still say yes. I may be a "throw back", but there are a lot more folks like me out there, if they don't buy one from Ford, they'll go somewhere else.

Guess I'm just a dinosaur and still adhere to the mind set that there's no substitute to horsepower! I have the utmost respect for all of the Ford engines, except the 3.7L, (sorry, just can't see buying one), I just hate to see Ford drop that bad boy, as I'm sure all manufacturers will eventually as the "eco-Mentalists" have their way... good for debate though!

Old 08-24-2014, 07:10 AM
Fred South
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 F-150

I voted no because I think if your work or play requires that much engine, you probably need to go to a F-250. For 90% of owners, the big engines are just bragging rights.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:29 AM
ArtsBest
Elder User
Of course it should be offered along with an ecoboost 5.0.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Billy Underwood
New User
The 6.2 is due for an update. It's a little behind the other engines Ford offers in terms of technology. It needs an all aluminum block for starters. Matter of fact they could copy the design of the coyote engine. It would be even more powerful, lighter, and more fuel efficient. I would love to see them bring the engine back in this form. It would be a force to be reckoned with. Oh and where's my Ecoboost 5.0 I've been requesting?

Old 08-24-2014, 02:47 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
Good discussion.
I agree with many of you.

I heard an old Mustang fire up this morning. Sounded soooo goooood!

We are leaving the era of big engines. Sorry. It's the truth. There is no way around it.
There really is no sensible reason to keep an engine like that in production.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:30 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I started up my 4V 390 cid Cougar yesterday just to hear the rumble. There's nothing like the sound of a big V8.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:45 PM
jntibs
Junior User
I voted no because if you need the 6.2 for work, then you need a F250 instead. The big V8's are dead in CAFE class vehicles, at least as far as FoMoCo is concerned. Unless Ford does a u turn and incorporates cylinder deactivation, it's gone for good.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Aquapools
New User
Originally Posted by 03 SVT VERT
I wouldn't be so sure:

5.0L V8 Engine Weight:444lbs
3.5L Ecoboost engine weight: 450lbs
6.2L Engine weight: 580lbs

So you've got an extra 130lbs just in engine weight. Then you've got more weight tied up in the body and chassis to support offering that larger heavier engine. All that extra weight hurts your performance and payload capability. It totally goes against what they were going for with the new truck (smaller, less weight, more capable).

The next generation of ecoboost is said to be in the neighborhood of 400hp with more torque overall and a MUCH better torque curve than the 6.2L, all while being a much lighter engine.

So the question is, is it really worth it for Ford to offer a naturally aspirated 6.2L when they can get better performance all around from their turbo 3.5L? Especially when sales numbers have shown people are more than happy with their smaller displacement engine offerings?
When you say the next generation of Ecoboost is said to be in the neighborhood of 400 hp are you referring to the 2015 F 150?

Old 09-04-2014, 07:24 AM
LIExpy
Freshman User
Adding direct injection and aluminum block to the 6.2L would certainly improve weight, power and gas mileage over today's design. Would like to see big the V8 continue in the F150 platform as an option. What ultimately won out for us choosing the Ecoboost over the 6.2L was the fact that we are mostly going to daily drive the pickup and only occasionally tow (travel trailer). MPGs while towing appeared to be a wash between the two and again if one was slightly better, we don't camp (at a distance) that much to make a difference. Choice on dealer lots were thin with 6.2L and even more so looking to get one with 3.73s. Only saw 3.55s here locally. The reliability reputation of the 6.2L was tough to turn away from however and of course that sound.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:04 PM
1NiceHarley
Senior User
Ford needs to offer the large V8 across the line to keep some customers. Will that number be a large number? No. but it will draw some people to or back to the F150.
Personally I want a 5.0 Ecoboost.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:27 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by SDDL-UP
If the 6.2L were available ACROSS the F-150 lineup there would be A LOT more takers. Ford offering it only on high end models was a way to PUSH more high end sales - Ford FAIL at the expense of an excellent engine - the 6.2.
The 6.2 is a gas hog and to met CAFE standards they did not want to offer it in many models. By putting it in the high end trucks they didn't sell as many but could still say that they had a large displacement V8 available.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:19 PM
efx4
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I voted no mostly because it's seat of the pants power is close tho the 3.5 and can't come close enough to the 3.5's gas mileage. However, if a large V8 like the 6.2 was to be in the lineup, it would have to have more power and better fuel economy; kind of like what GM did with their 6.2 V8.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:46 PM
LIExpy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by efx4
I voted no mostly because it's seat of the pants power is close tho the 3.5 and can't come close enough to the 3.5's gas mileage. However, if a large V8 like the 6.2 was to be in the lineup, it would have to have more power and better fuel economy; kind of like what GM did with their 6.2 V8.
I'm not a fan of cylinder deactivation however as GM chose to do and discounted looking at one due to that fact. Now, an all aluminum engine and updated head design would get you much closer added to the new 2015 F150s massive weight reduction and you might have something.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:11 AM
Prof_Bob
Freshman User
As much as it pains me to say this, I voted 'No'.

The 3.5 EcoBoost is one heck of an engine, and as much as I love the sound of a good V8 and hate to see them put out to pasture, the better engine...realistically...is the EcoBoost, and it's "Future-Resistant."

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Should Ford have kept the 6.2L V8 for the 2015 F150?