Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96' F350 Crew cab 4 x 4 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 08:20 PM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96' F350 Crew cab 4 x 4 XLT

Evening all,

I have a stock lift crew cab 4 x 4. I want to put lift leaf springs front back. I currently have 33's on it now. I wan to go with 37's probably. Where is a good place to purchase good quality leaf springs front and back? Do I need to use different lift heights for a typeof leveling kit? Not sure there.

Thanks

Sid

Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I recommend NOT going with your typical "lift springs"

Have a look here
My 97 CC 4wd Build - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Old 08-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Old Trusty
Senior User
Yeah ^ what Brad said!

Old 08-20-2014, 01:08 AM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with these post!^^^^^

BTW, sweet truck. Hope the black paint job on mine turns out that nice. Got a build thread on yours?

Old 08-20-2014, 07:58 AM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I recommend NOT going with your typical "lift springs"

Have a look here
My 97 CC 4wd Build - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
There's some good info in this thread. Will have to digest more in detail later as there are a lot of similarities with what he did and what I'm planning.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:48 PM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
Build thread?

Originally Posted by Truck Guy99
I agree with these post!^^^^^

BTW, sweet truck. Hope the black paint job on mine turns out that nice. Got a build thread on yours?
No sir, no build thread. Not sure how to go about that. That is the original paint job. Many years of that "expensive square can" liquid gold. I was told I was crazy for buying that wax for years but whos laughing now. It is showing some signs of oxidizing on the roof and hood and a tiny bubblehere or there over the rear wells. But for the most part, it shines like it always did.

On the lift thing. I spoke with a really nice guy at Atlas suspension in Cali this afternoon. I am seriously thinking about going with his reverse shackle 4 or 6" kit. Very nice and knowledgeable man. This Atlas group was referred by Deaver springs.

Thanks guys and I'll look into the build thread thing.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Before I do anything, I need to address some surface rust on the underside rear. A couple years in North Dakota and Wisconsin got under the undercoating I think. I think I want to take the bed off to get it all and do it right. Any suggestions on how to go about and what to use?

Thanks again guys.

Sid

Old 08-21-2014, 03:32 PM
Pappawheely
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I recommend Atlas Spring. They did custom leaves for my 92 f350 and I could not be happier. I am running 37X12.5-17 Falken Wildpeaks and Trailready beadlocks. My truck rides 100X better than stock. They will match the springs to the weight of your truck.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:14 PM
ghanson
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pappawheely
I recommend Atlas Spring. They did custom leaves for my 92 f350 and I could not be happier. I am running 37X12.5-17
I second this! A quality set of leaf springs can't be beat. I'm currently saving up for a full set from Atlas. They use multiple thinner leaves to give it a much smoother ride than the thick 2 leaf springs that come stock (just like Deavers). Also, they offer different styles if you're looking for flex, payload, or a mix of both.

BTW Pappawheely, that is one GORGEOUS truck!

Old 08-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Just to clarify..

A RSK will make a truck ride better than any leaf spring you want to install. It allows the spring to move in its NATURAL motion. Unlike the stock design

Old 08-21-2014, 06:48 PM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
RSK?

Mr. Brad,

Can you tell me what an RSK is? Pete at Atlas spring recommended a reverse shackle kit with his leaf springs. He tells me the ride is much improved for my type of truck. I am really wanting to lift it more than it is stock right now. I have currently 33's on it right now. I'd like to jump up a couple sizes in tires and lift the truck to accommodate WITHOUT trimming sheetmetal. I need to see some trucks with 4 and 6 inch lifts so i know what it is I'm looking at. I can google all day long 4 and 6" lifted 96 f350's. I get some awesome pics, but have no idea the size of lift or tires on their trucks.

Mr. Brad, are you saying the reverse shackle from atlas is NOT the way to lift my truck? Also, before that purchase, I need to remove the bed and completely clean up the surface rust on the under rear. I need to see what all is involved with removing my bed.

Thanks for any inputs.

Sid

Old 08-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Since you didn't read the link I posted
Reverese Sackle Kit

And the STOCK SuperDuty springs will ride better than the OBS length springs

Old 08-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Pappawheely
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by cityjack
Mr. Brad,

Can you tell me what an RSK is? Pete at Atlas spring recommended a reverse shackle kit with his leaf springs. He tells me the ride is much improved for my type of truck. I am really wanting to lift it more than it is stock right now. I have currently 33's on it right now. I'd like to jump up a couple sizes in tires and lift the truck to accommodate WITHOUT trimming sheetmetal. I need to see some trucks with 4 and 6 inch lifts so i know what it is I'm looking at. I can google all day long 4 and 6" lifted 96 f350's. I get some awesome pics, but have no idea the size of lift or tires on their trucks.

Mr. Brad, are you saying the reverse shackle from atlas is NOT the way to lift my truck? Also, before that purchase, I need to remove the bed and completely clean up the surface rust on the under rear. I need to see what all is involved with removing my bed.

Thanks for any inputs.

Sid
I have a reverse shackle kit from SORD too.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:39 PM
cityjack
Mountain Pass
RSK and a lift

Originally Posted by Pappawheely
I have a reverse shackle kit from SORD too.

Evening guys,

Mr. wheeley, how large is the lift with your reverse shackle kit? Did you have to cut any sheetmetal with the 37's you have on there? Your guys' acronyms are killing me. OBS? help a new guy out will you? I want to lift the truck and be able to put larger than 35's on the truck, WITHOUT cutting metal. I understand the reverse shackle is a better ride.

All input is appreciated.

Thanks

Sid

Old 08-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Old Body Style

Old 08-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Pappawheely
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by cityjack
Evening guys,

Mr. wheeley, how large is the lift with your reverse shackle kit? Did you have to cut any sheetmetal with the 37's you have on there? Your guys' acronyms are killing me. OBS? help a new guy out will you? I want to lift the truck and be able to put larger than 35's on the truck, WITHOUT cutting metal. I understand the reverse shackle is a better ride.

All input is appreciated.

Thanks

Sid
LMAO, oops sorry. Yes OBS = old body style, like our trucks. SORD has two shackle reversal kits; a 3 inch and a 5 inch. I have the 3 inch kit and flat springs in front. That gave me a 5 inch lift that clears the 37's. I did some fender trimming before I lifted it to clear the 37's but the 3 inch and springs should clear 37's without trimming.

Here is a link to a story about how my springs were made. http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/su...-springs-work/

Quick Reply: 96' F350 Crew cab 4 x 4 XLT