1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my engine going to be forever broken?

Old 08-20-2014, 01:07 PM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snelldawg
Really? I haven't heard of many problems at all with the 6.2/
I did a lot of research before choosing the truck and the 6.2L engine seemed as reliable as the 5.4 or 6.8 were before. The diesels were scary especially for me since I do shorts 15 minutes trips to work during the winter and they seem to need to warm up.

I'll see what the dealer says about the steps that are going to be taken to fix the engine and go from there. It's a 2011 under 5 years powertrain warranty so I should be OK to drive it a few more years. Ford's best interest is also to fix it so it won't come back to the shop.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:10 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
If it was me I'd trade the truck off if a new motor wasn't installed. If you drove the truck for a few hundred miles in the condition it was in there is probably damage to the bearings, etc. The reason the oil pressure light didn't go off was maybe the oil/coolant mixture probably had enough viscosity to keep enough oil pressure to satisfy the computer.

I had an injector o ring go out on my old diesel work truck and it thinned the oil out enough to shut the engine down. I let the engine sit to cool down then started it up and drove the 20 miles home, drained the oil and put fresh in, then drove 40 miles to the repair shop. There was no damage done to the engine and it lasted a very long time, and the oil was so diluted with fuel that it was like water.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:15 PM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfwd
I did a lot of research before choosing the truck and the 6.2L engine seemed as reliable as the 5.4 or 6.8 were before. The diesels were scary especially for me since I do shorts 15 minutes trips to work during the winter and they seem to need to warm up.

I'll see what the dealer says about the steps that are going to be taken to fix the engine and go from there. It's a 2011 under 5 years powertrain warranty so I should be OK to drive it a few more years. Ford's best interest is also to fix it so it won't come back to the shop.
I agree, these engines seem to be trouble-free. I was questioning the post that said that Ford has a lot of problems with these engines. Down in the 6.2 forums there are minimal issues reported.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:00 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 975 Likes on 750 Posts
Ford has had engine gasket problems going back to the mid nineties. As the production numbers increase for the 6.2 it will take its historical ford place in the rankings with engine oil contamination due to coolant or fuel leak.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:06 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
Ford has had engine gasket problems going back to the mid nineties. As the production numbers increase for the 6.2 it will take its historical ford place in the rankings with engine oil contamination due to coolant or fuel leak.
If your bashing Fords so much why do you own one? The modular engine has proved time and time again to go 250,000+ miles. My 4.6L retired taxi has 292,000 miles on the original engine. HG failures are not a common thing in modular engines.

I do have to agree with the 6.2 though, I don't see my 6.2 lasting, From all the issues that are popping up it will be traded in once the warranty is up.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:51 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would disagree with this too, especially the gas v8's. Since the 5.0 came out it has not been uncommon to see these engines beaten and abused daily(taxis, cop cars, delivery vans, etc) and still surpass 400-500k miles. The old cologne v6 was notorious for oil/coolant contamination in the 80's, but I haven't heard of any other ford engine having a widespread problem with that.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I would take what speakerfritz has to say with a grain of salt Josh and Tom. Seems to be common theme.

keep us posted.....ford service has staff pulling these issues off the various forums to reduce public awareness of current production problems.

keep the pressure on them and keep this in public light.
keep us in the loop in spite of ford service trying to pull you off line. they certainly realize the negative impact bad <acronym title="Page Ranking">PR</acronym> has ......the pressure is on.
nope....too many wear parts that need oil....if they get this engine back on the road with out a rebuild its not going to be one of the long mile club members.

ford seems to have a lot of problems with these engines....not a rare event at all.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:13 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
ford seems to have a lot of problems with these engines....not a rare event at all.
Confused here too. The 6.2 seems to be pretty freaking reliable. Please back your statement up with some facts.

Now to the OP, I don't know if you are going to discuss this publicly how off to check the oil. I try to check it at least twice a month. On towing trips, every fuel stop. I wish you luck with getting your issue handled and solved.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:43 AM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordmanNJ
Now to the OP, I don't know if you are going to discuss this publicly how off to check the oil. I try to check it at least twice a month. On towing trips, every fuel stop. I wish you luck with getting your issue handled and solved.
I can tell you I will be checking it real often when the truck comes back. I want to make sure oil is not low again after that fix.

It still shocks me that I have a sensor that can tell me when the exhaust cam gets retarded by a few milliseconds but no low oil light. Oil pressure was always OK so maybe all is fine and the dipstick just does not go all the way to the bottom of the reservoir.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:56 AM
rvpuller
Received 428 Likes on 280 Posts
Fastfwd just because no oil showed on the dip stick doesn't mean it's out of oil, it may have been 2 quarts down but that left 5 in the sump. The oil pickup is in the bottom so your motor always had oil, if the oil was getting into the water and not the oil then it's a leak at a pressurized oil passage.

Denny

Old 08-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Denola
Senior User
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
Sure sounds to me like your dealer is giving you the run around in some aspects. Did you check to see if it has oil? I am fairly certain if no oil, the engine would be rattling and a burnt smell on dipstick.

To the OP-----
I would want to know for myself what the engine was actually doing. If your coolant has oil in it, the radiator hose will be twice as soft as normal. They are not made of oil resistant rubber. I'd change the oil and coolant and drive the truck some, and see exactly what's happening. You can't believe what you hear from the dealer and half of what you see. A dry dipstick can happen with a shop rag. Did the coolant just have some oil in it or was it a gray mixture of coolant and oil? If it was not really mixed, then it was poured together. I worked as a certified tech for 10 years at a dealer and some folks will try and pull some crap on you.

RV Puller is right----Old FE blocks used to run for years with the oil tube molded in the block leaking slightly. Folks would change the hoses every once in a while and keep running them. There was no fix for it. Let's say the coolant is pressurized at 15 psi and the oil pressure never dropped below 15 psi, the oil is going in the coolant, not, coolant in the oil. I doubt that your engine crank etc. are ruined.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:16 PM
rvpuller
Received 428 Likes on 280 Posts
After reading this I checked Ford Owner site to see if any of my service done at Ford Dealers were there and it was blank so I called customer service and they had no record. We travel all over the states so I thought that by having my service done at Ford they would have a record, my mistake. I entered them manually with invoice numbers but I'm also keeping the invoices with me just in case. I also called the dealers and that was a waste of cell phone minutes.

Denny

Old 08-21-2014, 05:25 PM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Denola
Let's say the coolant is pressurized at 15 psi and the oil pressure never dropped below 15 psi, the oil is going in the coolant, not, coolant in the oil. I doubt that your engine crank etc. are ruined.
Thanks for the positive comments. I will ask for that when I get news from the truck. Right now it's still at the dealer and no final diagnostic yet. I know for a fact that the engine ran well and there was no unusual smoke or loss of oil pressure. Seems reasonable that oil was low but not low enough to cause damage.

If only the coolant was contaminated and not the other way around. I could be comfortable driving that truck until the end of the 5 year powertrain warranty in 2016 and if nothing goes wrong until then maybe it was nothing bad. Sure would be easier to just keep the truck I like than to try to find another with the same configuration. 6 seats truck are a rare thing. 6 seats lariat are almost unheard of.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:19 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
So how many miles since last oil change...? In 5000 miles I might need a quart or less.
How much oil needed to top up? Too many unknowns. Is the oil white? Any water will turn oil thick and gummy. Oil light is just a timer?

Old 08-22-2014, 01:37 PM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Update:

Still no idea what exactly is going on in the engine. They have not opened it yet. My local Canadian dealer is in talk with Ford engineering and will be calling the USA dealer to get details on what they did exactly during the last repair. As far as I know the Ford rep from this forum did not get involved yet and everything will be covered by warranty anyway.

I should get more details after the repair but I was already warned that he would not be able to tell me with certainty if the engine was damaged by this. Also my warranty runs out in a little over 10k miles which should bring me into middle of next summer.

And I got the talk about changing my oil more often than the light says. 3 weeks after the repair to make sure oil stays out of the coolant and then maybe every 5000 miles. At least he was not trying to blame my use of the truck. I push on the gas and it goes forward; same as anyone else

Got a call while writing this. Truck could be ready early next week. They will open the engine and change the seals and also change the oil cooler. Seems like they are covering their bases not being sure where the leak is from.

I can live with more often oil changes if it will allow me to keep the truck instead of losing money on a trade and looking for a unicorn F150 lariat with 6 seats.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is my engine going to be forever broken?