1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my engine going to be forever broken?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 02:45 PM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my engine going to be forever broken?

Bought a used 2011 6.2L with 40k miles. Ran great for a while winter doing mostly short trips. Went to do an oil change at the beginning of summer.

Then on the week I was to go on vacation check engine light. Canadian dealer tells me it won't be covered by 10 year powertrain because I don't have the proof that all oil changes were made.

I get it checked in the USA and they replace solenoid and cam phaser under warranty. 7000 miles later I get the light to change the oil. I'm just a day away from home so I wait until I get back.

At the dealer today for oil change and he tells me I have NO oil left and that coolant and oil are mixed.

Why did I not get any light for low oil?

Let's say it's a seal that failed and they replace it(hopefully warrantied). Will the engine be reliable after that or should I trade that truck ASAP?

Old 08-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Sure sounds to me like your dealer is giving you the run around in some aspects. Did you check to see if it has oil? I am fairly certain if no oil, the engine would be rattling and a burnt smell on dipstick.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Forddiesel06
Senior User
X2 on that.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:28 PM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
Sure sounds to me like your dealer is giving you the run around in some aspects. Did you check to see if it has oil? I am fairly certain if no oil, the engine would be rattling and a burnt smell on dipstick.
He showed me a dry dipstrick and a sample of oil contaminated coolant. I have no reason to believe that he his lying.

I'm just wondering if you would be comfortable keeping that engine after those 2 issues(cam phaser, coolant/oil mix) or if you would trade the truck for another one?

Old 08-19-2014, 08:27 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 975 Likes on 750 Posts
sounds like a head gasket blew, running an engine on oil and coolant cream foam soup probally cut 90% off the life expectancy of all bearings aand bushings to say the least.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:57 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought cam phasers were an over head cam issue and isn't the 6.2 a pushrod motor? Sorry not your problem here but just wondering, also didnt know ford had a 10 year warranty?

Old 08-19-2014, 11:13 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
6.2 is a ohc motor just like the mod motors.

I would trade in the truck if it is affordable and feasible to do so

Old 08-20-2014, 06:32 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Depending on how long it ran in that condition, it's probably time to replace the engine. Crank mains and rod journals are probably gone, bearings gone, cam lobes gone, plus all that crap circulating through the oil passages... Engine may be rebuildable if not warranteed, won't really know til you get it pulled apart and inspected.

I would not expect good news honestly.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:41 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Temp fix it if possible, limp to dealer and get rid of that soon to be headache moneypit. Its toast! You will pay more to rebuild than down payment on newer truck.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 AM
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by Fastfwd
Bought a used 2011 6.2L with 40k miles. Ran great for a while winter doing mostly short trips. Went to do an oil change at the beginning of summer.

Then on the week I was to go on vacation check engine light. Canadian dealer tells me it won't be covered by 10 year powertrain because I don't have the proof that all oil changes were made.

I get it checked in the USA and they replace solenoid and cam phaser under warranty. 7000 miles later I get the light to change the oil. I'm just a day away from home so I wait until I get back.

At the dealer today for oil change and he tells me I have NO oil left and that coolant and oil are mixed.

Why did I not get any light for low oil?

Let's say it's a seal that failed and they replace it(hopefully warrantied). Will the engine be reliable after that or should I trade that truck ASAP?
Thanks for reaching out, Fastfwd. I'd like to escalate this to the regional customer service manager for your area for further assistance. Please send me a private message with your full name, dealership information, VIN, and best daytime contact number. I'll be on the lookout for your information.

Brittany

Old 08-20-2014, 08:57 AM
zimm
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Edit- Go with ford service above. But if you are not covered and you like the truck, get a 6.2 from a wrecked 2011 and have it swapped in for a few thousand dollars.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Fastfwd
Senior User
I sent a PM to Ford rep Brittany. Hope that helps getting things to run smoothly.

Just to be clear on what happened.
Original check engine was for exhaust cam delay. Mainly and anti-pollution feature. It was fixed under warranty by a Ford dealer in the USA during my trip. I was told there was no ill effect from this apart from higher pollution emissions. They first replaced a solenoid and then a cam phaser. Problem never came back after that. Engine always ran great before, during and after the check engine.

Oil pressure was never low. Oil light never lit up. Never saw any white, black or blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. MPG was exactly what it should be and engine ran great. No spills of any kind under the truck.

Change oil light did come on. I brought the truck to the dealer 300 miles later to get it changed. That's when they showed me a dry dipstick and coolant that was mixed with oil.

As far as I know oil pressure was never low and engine always ran great(sound, MPG, no warning lights) I'm just no expert at engine's internals and wanted expert advice on long term effects of running an engine with low oil and oil in coolant. Maybe it will be fine after they change a gasket or whatever else is needed.

I could trade for an F150 that would be more appropriate to my trailer since I ended up getting a light pull behind instead of a 5th wheel. But I would definitely lose some money on the trade due to sales taxes and salesman profit. Also my current truck is well equipped with bed cover and summer/winter tires which would not fit the F150.

I would prefer to keep the F250 but I don't want it to be unreliable and expensive in the coming years. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:05 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
I sent a PM to Ford rep Brittany. Hope that helps getting things to run smoothly.

Just to be clear on what happened.
Original check engine was for exhaust cam delay. Mainly and anti-pollution feature. It was fixed under warranty by a Ford dealer in the USA during my trip. I was told there was no ill effect from this apart from higher pollution emissions. They first replaced a solenoid and then a cam phaser. Problem never came back after that. Engine always ran great before, during and after the check engine.

Oil pressure was never low. Oil light never lit up. Never saw any white, black or blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. MPG was exactly what it should be and engine ran great. No spills of any kind under the truck.

Change oil light did come on. I brought the truck to the dealer 300 miles later to get it changed. That's when they showed me a dry dipstick and coolant that was mixed with oil.

As far as I know oil pressure was never low and engine always ran great(sound, MPG, no warning lights) I'm just no expert at engine's internals and wanted expert advice on long term effects of running an engine with low oil and oil in coolant. Maybe it will be fine after they change a gasket or whatever else is needed.

I could trade for an F150 that would be more appropriate to my trailer since I ended up getting a light pull behind instead of a 5th wheel. But I would definitely lose some money on the trade due to sales taxes and salesman profit. Also my current truck is well equipped with bed cover and summer/winter tires which would not fit the F150.

I would prefer to keep the F250 but I don't want it to be unreliable and expensive in the coming years. Thanks for your feedback.
keep us in the loop in spite of ford service trying to pull you off line. they certainly realize the negative impact bad PR has ......the pressure is on.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:08 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot

Maybe it will be fine after they change a gasket or whatever else is needed.

nope....too many wear parts that need oil....if they get this engine back on the road with out a rebuild its not going to be one of the long mile club members.

ford seems to have a lot of problems with these engines....not a rare event at all.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:01 PM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz

ford seems to have a lot of problems with these engines....not a rare event at all.
Really? I haven't heard of many problems at all with the 6.2/

Quick Reply: Is my engine going to be forever broken?