My chinese sheetmetal experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My chinese sheetmetal experience

I have had a set of LMC aftermarket dorrs laying around for several years. One of my f 600s had some rust in a wierd place on the doors and while I could have patched them I thought why not give these doors a try. I bought them before reading all the negative comments about chinese aftermarket sheetmetal

The boxing was excellent and the doors had only one minor dimple that will be an easy fix. I did a trial fit and they hit on the leading edge... with some work and some fender washers spacing them rearward they fit with good seam match. I had an issue with the lower radius being a little too tight but with some hand massaging they seem to fit well

Some observations

Yes they feel lighter (thinner) than factory oem doors

They will probably not work right out of the box without some work making them fit

They are not show quality but they are an excellent choice for a work truck.. especially a medium duty resto that wont be worked hard (doors being opened and closed repeatedly and having heavy construction monkeys hanging off them)

The factory line is not perfect and they wont be as "clean" as oem doors. Mine appear to fit well to make a good seal. ( The rear seam picture depiction is deceiving.. it actually fits pretty tight once the latch is engaged and the seam is fairly tight and even)

Overall I give them 5 out of ten.. and a "satisfactory" rating

Im going to sound mat mine and spray them inside with rustproofing (which would be prudent anytime you use chinese sheeetmetal )

Old 07-19-2014, 08:53 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Having once owned a body shop in the mid-80's aftermarket sheet metal was beginning to be all the rage, most notably with the insurance companies. Early on fitment and long term quality issues were known but despite that knowledge as an industry the aftermarket stuff persists, won't go away.

When I replace my '03 E250 doors I'll look for salvage or used because their price will be fair for better quality. Honestly though even Ford has lowered its quality on such parts so anything I use will be from pre-2000 or so.

Given the quality plus numerous fit problems I've never seen aftermarket sheet metal parts as a viable alternative to good OEM. That's just IMHO of course and I appreciate your observations NotMe---very well done in fact!

Old 07-19-2014, 11:48 AM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by JWA
Having once owned a body shop in the mid-80's aftermarket sheet metal was beginning to be all the rage, most notably with the insurance companies. Early on fitment and long term quality issues were known but despite that knowledge as an industry the aftermarket stuff persists, won't go away.

When I replace my '03 E250 doors I'll look for salvage or used because their price will be fair for better quality. Honestly though even Ford has lowered its quality on such parts so anything I use will be from pre-2000 or so.

Given the quality plus numerous fit problems I've never seen aftermarket sheet metal parts as a viable alternative to good OEM. That's just IMHO of course and I appreciate your observations NotMe---very well done in fact!
I agree with your assessment.

The drivers door appeared to be better quality. It fit first try (with shims)
What I cant fix is the shape of the door which made some gaps that I cannot correct. It isnt a bg deal on this f600.. but on a f100 hotrod show truck ...no way

It was nice working with completely rust free sheetmetal... but we are also spoiled here in the west and OEM sheetmetal is all over... perhaps in a salt state the aftermarket stuff might be an alternative

I know it feels wrong to put anything on this American truck that says Tong Yang... it will be my once in a lifetime indescretion . The last pic shows how the shape of the door is off on the front leading edge.. gap up top tight on the bottom... cant fix that..Ill have to live with it... the rear and top gaps are perfect and in alignment

Old 08-18-2014, 10:41 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tape a straight line and grind it. Weld the ends, grind and a little fiberglass and putty and you will have a straight body line.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 9228.bobcat
Tape a straight line and grind it. Weld the ends, grind and a little fiberglass and putty and you will have a straight body line.
You're absolutely correct... but after a little more adjustment I can live with it as is...
Thanks

Old 08-19-2014, 08:09 AM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea I live with a lot too.lol.