1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

how to adjust volare front suspension ride height

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 12:55 PM
0to100to0
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to adjust volare front suspension ride height

for those with the volare front end (my new truck has one), how do you adjust the ride height? I wanted to lower it a little bit and was wondering if anyone had any pics of which bolts I have to turn and which way to turn them.
thanks a lot,
Matt

Old 10-28-2007, 02:12 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
WOW.................Anyway, welcome to site. Just wondering, have you by any chance looked under the truck yet??. Are you a little familiar with the front end or the truck at all or did you just get it? Based on your question as to the bolt itself I would suggest you go straight to the alignment shop and have them adjust the ride height since the front end will need to be aligned after making an adjustment anyway. This adjustment is part of the alignment charge anyway so may as well take advantage of it and save your self the grief. BTW, there is a search feature on this site and there is a lot of info on the very same issue of ride height adjustment and so forth. Good luck .
Jon

Old 10-28-2007, 06:20 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Matt, if you'll look under your frontend,you'll see the head of a large threaded threaded rod, one on each side. They are angled rearward. "loosening" the right bolt will lower the left side suspension, and vice versa. Mark the heads and count the # of rounds backed off. Know that the more you lower, the lower the driving quality, as the tension is relieved on the bars.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:23 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Welcome to FTE!

This is a breakdown of the volare suspension: http://www.geocities.com/indychamp/torsion/torsion.htm
At the end of the torsion bar theres a nut you turn and it will raise and lower the truck, But like the previous post you will have to get it aligned as it will throw it out of alignment.

Originally Posted by raerjim
Know that the more you lower, the lower the driving quality, as the tension is relieved on the bars.
Yep it gets kinda squishy.

Last edited by TheWiz427; 10-28-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:52 AM
0to100to0
Junior User
thanks for the help guys..... that was perfect information..... and by the way i know that there is a search function for these forums, i used it and didn't get a clear answer.... wow, and i thought they were sarcastically harsh on stangnet forums, but wow, it seems people are the same everywhere you go.
thanks again,
matt

Old 10-29-2007, 06:05 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Matt, when I took mine to two alignment shops they never touched the torsion bar adjustment. They just aligned it where I had it at the time. If you turn the bolts clockwise it raises the truck and counter-clockwise lowers it. Remember the bolt on the left side controls the right side height and vice-versa. You will need a 15/16 socket or box end wrench.

Last edited by GreatNorthWoods; 10-29-2007 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:19 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Matt-

Welcome. Please don't take CIAF's comments the wrong way. Notice the "Good Luck" and smiley face figure. Sometimes the written word is much different than the thoughts behind it. You and your truck are very welcome here, as well as your questions and input. Since I have been on this site it is rare that anyone gets flamed unless they really start an "issue". Please post some photos of your truck and join in.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:23 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by LEckart
Matt-

Welcome. Please don't take CIAF's comments the wrong way. Notice the "Good Luck" and smiley face figure. Sometimes the written word is much different than the thoughts behind it. You and your truck are very welcome here, as well as your questions and input. Since I have been on this site it is rare that anyone gets flamed unless they really start an "issue". Please post some photos of your truck and join in.
Yupp, No Sarcasam intended. After reading it over, it sorta looks like it. I understand your concern, my bad, so sorry Matt...And please, please do not misjudge the FTE site. it is the best board around and filled with great guys, some with thicker skin than others.
LEckart, good call, thanks..
Jon

Old 10-29-2007, 04:24 PM
delaney
Junior User
Smile

Originally Posted by 0to100to0
thanks for the help guys..... that was perfect information..... and by the way i know that there is a search function for these forums, i used it and didn't get a clear answer.... wow, and i thought they were sarcastically harsh on stangnet forums, but wow, it seems people are the same everywhere you go.
thanks again,
matt
I would have been offended with the reply you got also. When I read the response my thought was why can't some people politely give a reply without being obnoxious.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:08 AM
0to100to0
Junior User
no harm, no foul. i put some pics in my gallery.
matt

Old 10-30-2007, 07:17 AM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 0to100to0
i put some pics in my gallery.
matt
Nice! Looks like a great start!

Old 10-30-2007, 08:07 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Matt-
Nice looking truck. I think you might be the first one on the forum to have the BW conversion. It has been discussed but I don't recall anyone doing it as yet. Did you do it or was it already done when you purchased the truck?

Old 10-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, 02100 has got the right questions. Better to ask before you start experimenting. Lower looks cool but a lot of people complain that the ride is too soft and mushie on corners. I adjusted mine up much higher than most and the ride was rough. Once you have experimeted with the ride height and gotten it just the way you like it, take it to the alignment shop.

Just a suggestion, I would recommend doing the adjustments with the tires lifted off the ground to relieve the stress on the threaded adjustment rod. Then, after you have lowered or raised both sides the same number of turns, drive the truck out into the street and then back in the shop. This gives the suspension a chance to adjust the placement of the tires to the new Torsion setting. Good luck, Jag

Old 10-30-2007, 07:41 PM
0to100to0
Junior User
it was already done when i got the truck by a professional metal body guy. it looks like he did a good job, there is a ridge on the back of the cab where the old metal and the new metal meet though.... also, i think the panel might have been a little warped from the welding because the rear window did not want to go in. i had to bang on it and squeeze the glass in. however, it looks great now.
matt

Old 08-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Don Vito
Senior User
I've searched all over the web for a image of the bolt/nut that you loosen to lower the volare suspension, but can't find any, I assumed it would be a big nut somewhere at the end of the torsion bars but mine seem to be capped, I think Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
but I don't see anything, anyone have a pic of it?
Thx in advance Don

Quick Reply: how to adjust volare front suspension ride height