Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Fuel filter assembly - wire to sensor? Also, just under 13V at idle.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 01:51 PM
timingisperfect
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter assembly - wire to sensor? Also, just under 13V at idle.

Lots of new parts on the truck but not sure where this wire goes.

This black wire, twisted to a point, also has a few smaller wires (for vacuum sensor I think) coming out of it. It is somewhat apparent in the pic.

Truck runs well and it should start well now that it has:
* 2 new batteries
* New battery cables & terminals (minus the long wire)
* New alternator
* New voltage regulator

What to do with this remaining wire? Also, at idle the voltage is slightly less than 13V and then up to 13V, then back again -- cause for concern?

Old 08-16-2014, 03:28 PM
monte97z
Senior User
The wire I'm not sure possibly fuel heater assembly. And your voltage is about right if you have the 1g external regulated alt. I did not get 14.4 at idle till I did the 3g alternator conversion

Old 08-19-2014, 08:32 PM
timingisperfect
New User
Thanks Monte for your guess. The wire is live so that may be it... luckily we don't even hardly freeze here in Phoenix so I don't think we would miss a fuel heater.

It is the external voltage regulator setup, and I think it may be getting a little better since I took the truck for a long drive. There were a few days before we realized the VR was bad and so I think I drained my batteries around town. Now the gauge on the instrument panel is not as high as the voltmeter read but has climbed a few lines after the trip.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by timingisperfect
Thanks Monte for your guess. The wire is live so that may be it... luckily we don't even hardly freeze here in Phoenix so I don't think we would miss a fuel heater.

It is the external voltage regulator setup, and I think it may be getting a little better since I took the truck for a long drive. There were a few days before we realized the VR was bad and so I think I drained my batteries around town. Now the gauge on the instrument panel is not as high as the voltmeter read but has climbed a few lines after the trip.
Put a good ground wire from your voltage regulator to the truck chassis, and one from the truck chassis to the engine block.
It'll solve a lot of problems -- I get 14.4 from my 1g alternator setup easily; just need to have a good ground.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:09 PM
monte97z
Senior User
I was hoping someone else would chime in for the wire, I have the older style fuel heater but there really is not much on the fuel filter that gets power. I'm in NY and my fuel heater had been disconnected for the last few years, I have never had a problem.
Macrobb you get 14.4 at idle? That's great. No matter what I did I never got more then 13.4 at idle and that was with nothing on. Was the big part of the reason I did the conversion, was a few times in traffic with the wipers, head lights, and heater going I was draining the batteries, gauge was down to like 11.5 volts. I only ever got 14 with noting on and at highway speeds. Now I get 14.6 idle with nothing on and 13.9 full load at idle. I really need to look over my grounds lol