Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V/b spring confusion

Old 08-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Curjo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V/b spring confusion

Ok, first let me say that I have been reading up as much as possible on this swap over the last few days and I am still confused after reading all the diys and articles. There are alot of threads on the subject I know.

The question I have is when finding used springs will the springs off any 2000-2005 4x4 f250/350 work? I have two guys parting out f350's in my area but neither know the code off the springs and are unwilling or unable to look for me. The first is a 2003 f350 and the second a 2004 f350 FX4. I'm trying to get a good deal by letting them bid against each other I just want to know if both will work. Thanks! Btw I have a 2000 ex 4x4 limited. Just bought it on Saturday.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Offhand I'd say the FX4 ones would be better but I have no idea for sure. If they're local why not just swing by and look at the door jam sticker? Spring codes should be listed there IIRC.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:01 PM
wrxin
Elder User
Yes you can use leaf springs off any 2000-05 F250 or F350 Super Duty 4x4. That's what the spring swap is all about. If you can't get the spring codes off the door pillar sticker, you're rolling the dice as to what you're going to get. Whatever the donor springs are, they won't the same as your X factory original springs. You'll probably have to install them, see how your X sits, and go from there.

The F350 blocks are quite handy if you can get them but you'll definitely have to do some work to raise the front more than just the donor spring.

Depends on what your lift goal is.

Also, make sure you read up on things like shocks and u-bolts.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:02 PM
wrxin
Elder User
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
Offhand I'd say the FX4 ones would be better but I have no idea for sure. If they're local why not just swing by and look at the door jam sticker? Spring codes should be listed there IIRC.
Also what Matt said. No idea about FX4 springs.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Curjo
Freshman User
The guy with the fx4 just told me that it was painted over. Thanks for the help guys, I guess I'll just go with who I can knock down in price the most. Wrxin, my main goal isn't necessarily to lift it, it's to help out with some of the wander that I'm getting. Gonna tighten the steering box tomorrow to see how that works. This site is awesome btw, so much information!

Old 08-05-2014, 08:59 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Curjo
The guy with the fx4 just told me that it was painted over. Thanks for the help guys, I guess I'll just go with who I can knock down in price the most. Wrxin, my main goal isn't necessarily to lift it, it's to help out with some of the wander that I'm getting. Gonna tighten the steering box tomorrow to see how that works. This site is awesome btw, so much information!
If you can get the vin I can tell you what was on the truck when built. Or, if you can look at the springs, the part number is near the spring eye. Either way I can tell you what the spring is.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 PM
wrxin
Elder User
Originally Posted by Curjo
Be careful with the steering box. It's very easy to over tighten it and it's not usually the cause of wandering. Before lifted our X I had the most luck improving steering with a new steering stabilizer, a good alignment and the right tire air pressure.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:32 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Thumbs up Excursion suspension

Also, I would definitely get the rear sway bar off one of those one tons. Even if your X has a rear sway bar, it's probably a 26mm one. The one ton bar is 30mm and will bolt to your existing hardware (or get the end links and all from the donor truck if your truck has none).
It made a huge difference on my 03 that came with none!

Old 08-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Curjo
Freshman User
Thanks for the advice! Btw, how much is everyone paying for used springs?

Old 08-06-2014, 02:53 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Thumbs up Excursion suspension

I got mine from Pick n Pull on a 1/2 price weekend, so they were unbelievably cheap... 80 for springs and 12 for the rear sway bar. Tousley Ford has great prices for FTE members if you have to go new. CT Performance can get you dialed on everything to make the combination work together... Cary is the greatest!

Old 08-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Curjo
Freshman User
$80 for all 4!??

Old 08-06-2014, 05:05 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

Like I said, it was their 1/2 price weekend! I was amazed that they had a truck that had everything I was looking for that hadn't been picked over. Took me about 5 hours to wrestle it all out with hand tools; I took it all and ran!

Old 08-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Wyomingowen
4wd High
I haven't had the coin to do it yet but I want to confirm what walt says, reach out to Cary at CT performance, he's got the whole thing dialed.

Also, 00-03 x has no sway bar at all!!!! what was the blue oval thinking!!! again, cary will cover that issue as well.

Somewhere in this forum it discusses how the blue oval due to marketing softened the suspension as compared to the F250 and lowered it so it would fit in most peoples garages, a serious dilemma for the weight you're driving, hence floaty, drifty = scary

Old 08-06-2014, 10:36 PM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Your on the right track. My local ford dealer quoted me $126 each for new v codes. At that price I cannot pass that up. So try the dealers first. The rears were quoted at $256 each. A tad pricy for me, as there is a local truck salvage yard that has 10 or 15 super duties. Rear sets are $75. So check local yards. If you are lucky you could pick up a rear away bar too.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Wyomingowen
4wd High
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11346356

Here's the thread that covers it all, I can't wait to do this as the Mrs recently said sell the minivan I like the ex (we've owned it for 10 months now)

so my sig will say 97 f350 psd and 01 ex psd (no more sienna...yahoo)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V/b spring confusion