Sharing a thought about traveling with full dump tanks

Old 08-16-2014, 05:30 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Sharing a thought about traveling with full dump tanks

We spent most of the day today reinstalling a dump tank that had fallen out of a travel trailer. In the event, that sound like a rare event, it is not. Many manufacturers use a flanged tank and the flange tucks up under a metal rail running side-to-side. It looks stout and it is provided you don't run down the road with full tanks. If you do that, the shear weight of the water bouncing up and down deflects the flanges and the entire tank drops right out ripping off the dump lines as it goes.

Really a heck of a job getting it all back together and on this one I had to cut open a wall and then install an access panel to cover the opening. If you have to run with full tanks make sure they are support underneath with straps or better still a piece of plywood strapped up against the tank, would be my advice.

Steve

Old 08-16-2014, 08:26 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,400 Likes on 997 Posts
even if there are straps underneath you can still have issues.

This is the fresh water tank getting some sun because they only put tape on the straps and expected that to work.

fresh water tank

straps for the tank with just tape on it. All the rest of the tanks had bolts

Old 08-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
We spent most of the day today reinstalling a dump tank that had fallen out of a travel trailer. In the event, that sound like a rare event, it is not. Many manufacturers use a flanged tank and the flange tucks up under a metal rail running side-to-side. It looks stout and it is provided you don't run down the road with full tanks. If you do that, the shear weight of the water bouncing up and down deflects the flanges and the entire tank drops right out ripping off the dump lines as it goes.

Really a heck of a job getting it all back together and on this one I had to cut open a wall and then install an access panel to cover the opening. If you have to run with full tanks make sure they are support underneath with straps or better still a piece of plywood strapped up against the tank, would be my advice.

Steve
Good advice Steve..It seams really dumb to me that the manufacturers would not do something to keep this from happening. If you are camping somewhere that doesn't have a dump station then you have to drive somewhere to dump..

Old 08-17-2014, 06:30 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I learned from the pics above when we got this 5er to check those tanks before purchase.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:08 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good advice Steve. Generally, I run with empty tanks. But today, I ran 200 miles home with all 4 tanks about 1/4 full because I didn't want to wait in line at the State Park dump station when leaving.

Won't do that again. I have no idea how my tanks are held in.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:44 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 434 Likes on 319 Posts
I run with a full fresh water tank pretty often, as I camp in places where the fresh water may not be to my wifes taste. I don't seem to have to drive nearly as far to dump the tanks though.

Still, I know I've put a few hours on the road with at least half-full tanks.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:08 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I do carry fresh water in this one when traveling. You don't know how often a place that is suppose to have water that doesn't.

Plus we sometimes stay in Walmarts if the weather is nice and it is just us.

But...that is only because I have verified that the tanks are mounted properly now.

Any 5er I would check. TT's sometimes are going to be ok if the tank is inside under a sofa or something.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:01 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I wandered over to the Montana forum and found a thread that many folks were complaining about tank failures rather then them falling out though it did seem that there were a couple that came loose. Unfortunately the 4 tanks in our new one can't be easily accessed as it has a full length belly cover - but I seldom travel with much more then a few gallons of fresh water and little or no waste water, doubt I'll have a problem until I get a chance to do a look. The China Bomb tires will bother me more until I can change over to LT's in the spring

Old 08-18-2014, 08:51 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
A couple years back I was a couple cars behind an older motorhome leaving a NASCAR race when the black tank dropped out and spilled its contents all over the highway. I got about halfway through saying "I hope that wasn't his black tank" before the smell cut me off short. Apparently no chemicals in there either, just used beer.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:55 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 434 Likes on 319 Posts
On a somewhat related note, how many gallons do your tanks hold? I think all three of mine are 40 gallons, but it's a small trailer. I assume some of you guys have much larger tanks.

To add to my excitement, my tank level gauges are acting up, and are no longer reliable. So I'm usually guessing about the levels anyway.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:25 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As usual, great advice Steve....

I'm telling you come down here and I can get you LOT's of work !!!!!!!! (Many rv'ers I run into are looking for a good tech!)

and, as usual, 'they' won't let me rep you or I would again !

(guess 'they' grew up in the 'everyone gets a trophy' generation )

Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
On a somewhat related note, how many gallons do your tanks hold? I think all three of mine are 40 gallons, but it's a small trailer. I assume some of you guys have much larger tanks.

To add to my excitement, my tank level gauges are acting up, and are no longer reliable. So I'm usually guessing about the levels anyway.
Bigger then 40 - my tanks are 93 for the two gray and 50 for black(blehhh)

Old 08-18-2014, 02:57 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Originally Posted by seventyseven250

My fresh is 65 gallons (many have much larger tanks. Bring a book along when filling up, it takes forevvvvvver). My 2 gray and 1 black are 45 each.

There are several options out on the net to cleaning the sensors. I usually just have problems with the black. This last dump at the fairgrounds, no one was around so I had lots of time to use the black flush, and finally, after several flushes, it reads empty again.

Check out some of these ideas:
Some ideas

So many ways, do any actually work?

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-18-2014, 03:40 PM
senix
Super Moderator
100 gal fresh water, 1 gray, 1 black and one combo...57 for the back and 60 for the grays

Old 08-18-2014, 10:27 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Steve for bringing this subject up. Since you are a professional in the rv business who makes a quality holding tank ? Or should I ask is there a brand to stay away from?
Originally Posted by thomabb
A couple years back I was a couple cars behind an older motorhome leaving a NASCAR race when the black tank dropped out and spilled its contents all over the highway. I got about halfway through saying "I hope that wasn't his black tank" before the smell cut me off short. Apparently no chemicals in there either, just used beer.
I have an old motorhome and about 8yrs ago I went to a NHRA race and everyone and their brother was using the bathroom. Mind you I have had issues with the tank gauge for years. When on the way home one of guys with me screams "Dude I think you have a hole in your fuel tank." As he points out the back window and cars are passing me giving me dirty looks. So I pull over and it wasn't the fuel tank it was the black water tank. The tank had cracked I am guessing from the tank being full, bad roads and the tank was from 1976. So I am sorry for you and anyone who was driving behind me that day.

That was actually the last real trip I have taken in my old motorhome other than day trips. Well now I am a family guy and my little girl wants to go camping and I have an out of order toilet. So as soon as boating season is over I am going to start on replace all the tanks, water lines and drain hoses. I think I am going to do the fuel tank too. So I will be keeping this subject in mind when I do so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sharing a thought about traveling with full dump tanks