1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

49 passenger side door

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 11:08 AM
rbtom
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
49 passenger side door

Is there any reason why I would have a lock key on the passenger door and none on the drivers door? It doesn't make any sense to me. I guess I'm thinking that one of the doors is from a different year truck?

Old 08-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Nothing wrong with your truck. It's been discussed here a zillion times. Do a search on it. Ole Henry didn't want his customers stepping out on the street side of their truck (plus it was probably a cost saving measure). So you pull the inside driver's door handle up so that it's horizontal, then slide across and lock the passenger side with the key from the outside. DO NOT lock the passenger side with the inside handle before you close that door. Ask me how I know. But, to answer your question, that is the way they all were made for those years.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:31 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
DO NOT lock the passenger side with the inside handle before you close that door. Ask me how I know.
Ha! How do you know? More importantly, how did you get back into your truck? I've been wondering what I'm going to do when I eventually do this.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:33 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Way back in the early days, Model T's didn't even have a drivers door. It was customary to slide in to and from the passenger side (curb side), hence only one lock.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:34 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMallory
Ha! How do you know? More importantly, how did you get back into your truck? I've been wondering what I'm going to do when I eventually do this.
Break a window. I had a passenger lock me out once, right after telling them NOT to lock the door.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:43 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Break a window. I had a passenger lock me out once, right after telling them NOT to lock the door.
Oh wow. Is that the only option?

Old 08-14-2014, 12:58 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I know of a very active and well respected forum member, who will remain anonymous, who had to remove the rear glass to gain entrance to his truck. Somehow, someone locked his passenger door.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:58 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Remember, off street diagonal parking and shopping centers didn't start being the norm except in larger cities (while most trucks were sold in rural areas) until well into the 60's. Until then most parking was done parallel to the curb. It was discouraged and even illegal in some places to open the door/exit on the traffic side.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:04 PM
rbtom
Mountain Pass
Ha!! That's great!! Thanks for clearing up my little mystery!!

Old 08-14-2014, 02:39 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by JPMallory
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Originally Posted by raytasch
I know of a very active and well respected forum member, who will remain anonymous, who had to remove the rear glass to gain entrance to his truck. Somehow, someone locked his passenger door.

Yep. It sucked. We stopped to get Subway for breakfast on our way to TS 14. She pulled the handle up on her side on her way out of the truck. And I was forced to push a 65 year old original back glass into my truck. It was going well until it got about halfway, then it flexed and shattered as shown. THEN, I had to piece it back together and put it back for the remainder of the trip. And, before anybody asks, I tried to open the door with a coat hanger for about 30 minutes before I just said to heck with this and pushed that window in.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:42 PM
rbtom
Mountain Pass
You can't unlock it with the key? ?!

Old 08-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rbtom
You can't unlock it with the key? ?!
Not if you lock it from the inside. Don't ask me how I know. But I was lucky enough to unlock it with a coat hanger, unlike Shane.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Take note of how my wife (the culprit) was sitting peacefully inside the truck,enjoying her nice breakfast sandwich, while I was standing in the bed of my truck trying to convince a completely dry-rotted 65 year old broken window seal to go back into place at least temporarily so that we could continue on our journey. I didn't say a word. The worst part about it was that I lost the "Truckstock 2012" sticker in the back glass.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:40 AM
230thdratsab
Freshman User
Welcome to Classic Auto Supply can reproduce the glass which includes the etched Ford Safety Glass logo. I've purchased vent & driver's door glass from them. So far so good.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:18 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
Take note of how my wife (the culprit) was sitting peacefully inside the truck,enjoying her nice breakfast sandwich, while I was standing in the bed of my truck trying to convince a completely dry-rotted 65 year old broken window seal to go back into place at least temporarily so that we could continue on our journey. I didn't say a word. The worst part about it was that I lost the "Truckstock 2012" sticker in the back glass.
You've been married long enough to know that it was all your fault, Shane. Hope you apologized for any inconvenience you caused.

Quick Reply: 49 passenger side door