2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

If the next Super Duty had the same cab as the new F150, would you approve?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:26 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The exterior widths are at the widest point of the body excluding mirrors. That definitely ain't the case in the greenhouse area which is where the shoulder room is needed. I know that my SD has a wider interior than my 06 F150 had. And fractions of an inch make a lot of difference overall.
SD shoulder room=68" SD hip room=67.6"
F150 shoulder room=66.6" hip room=66.6"

Old 03-29-2015, 06:58 AM
ltlblutrk
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any official word if this is the new truck?<br/><br/>

Old 03-29-2015, 07:06 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ltlblutrk

any official word if this is the new truck?

Do you think they built it for fun? What would make you question it?

Old 03-29-2015, 01:05 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LSchicago2
Do you think they built it for fun? What would make you question it?
I can't speak for anyone else but I think some of us are having a hard time believing that's it because you know look at the picture and color it's just so well, ugly and blahh. I do agree that's it but just sad like many others. Looks like a 80 year old Lincoln owner would love it, just add some wood grain maybe a CB antenna , instant family truckster. Fugly

Old 03-29-2015, 08:03 PM
ltlblutrk
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
Looks like a 80 year old Lincoln owner would love it, just add some wood grain maybe a CB antenna , instant family truckster.
LOL

I don't believe anything I see on the internet until it comes from a reputable source. I saw a new Bronco on here too but I wasn't holding my breath for that either.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:38 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
I can't speak for anyone else but I think some of us are having a hard time believing that's it because you know look at the picture and color it's just so well, ugly and blahh. I do agree that's it but just sad like many others. Looks like a 80 year old Lincoln owner would love it, just add some wood grain maybe a CB antenna , instant family truckster. Fugly
Hmmm, now that you mention it, it does look a lot like the family truckster.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:42 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
My impression was that someone photoshopped a mid-90's Chevy pickup. Notice the same styling points; full front grill, wrap around front bumper, no body character lines up high near the belt line.

I hope it's a joke, with that styling by the design shop of Bland and Boring.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:40 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
That's what everyone said about the 08's. Those turned out to be my favorite so far. Hard to judge from a crappy cell phone pic. I'll give my opinion when I see it in person.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:33 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
The more i look at this, the more im thinking its a photoshop. Where the a pillar meets the fender looks very similar to the atlas concept, although that could be a carry over anyway. If you look at the front wheel well, there seems to be no reflections on the flare and the flare seems to disappear going to that chrome side emblem. Also if you look at the guy behind the truck, his torso seems to disappear where the grill starts. In fact, the whole right front of the truck seems to disappear. Could be the crappy picture, but im thinking photoshop.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,320 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Every single "spy" shot taken of the 2017 Super Duty test mules confirms that the new Super Duty shares a cab in common with the aluminum 2015 F-150. The trick is to look at the hard parts that cannot be easily disguised... the door openings for example. The use of inlaid doors was the first clue, easily seen last year when the test mules wrapped under solid black camo still had 2014 front clips cobbled onto the aluminum common cab of the future. Look at parts that have to be used by the test drivers. The door pulls for example. Recognize that the most recent test mules, vinyl wrapped with psychedelic black and white wraps, still have stuffing underneath them to distract less observant people from the design details. Notice the "mega cab" add ons? How about the outside rear view mirror top corner camfers being filled to square them off under the wrap? Take a look at the stuffing on top of the hood at the corners, to distort the hood lines. Or look at how the dip in the front side windows is covered over. Or the stuffing over the dully fender. Try to see past the stuffing, and look at the immutable parts that move. You will see the new F-150 with a different front clip.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:09 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
The more i look at this, the more im thinking its a photoshop. Where the a pillar meets the fender looks very similar to the atlas concept, although that could be a carry over anyway. If you look at the front wheel well, there seems to be no reflections on the flare and the flare seems to disappear going to that chrome side emblem. Also if you look at the guy behind the truck, his torso seems to disappear where the grill starts. In fact, the whole right front of the truck seems to disappear. Could be the crappy picture, but im thinking photoshop.
I agree. The more I look at the reflections in the chrome, it does not add up. The colors and reflections clearly indicate different conditions, and totally warm and cold lighting that don't realistically show on the truck. Even the chair or object in front of the truck does not reflect in the chrome.
So much is just piecemealed together, it does NOT say Ford at all. The poor depiction of the bed height is not something that Ford would do. To drop the bed rail two inches and leave that ugly and blunt transition is something Ford would not do. If it does not blend and flow, we won't see it. Same with the chrome side emblem... it looks like the thing was cut and stuck on. I can't see Fird using the door edge as the cut for the side emblem... It looks afterthought. The new Superduty will look tough and sinister, not whimpy and flaccid like this pic. Wait. We'll all see.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:36 AM
Y2KW57
And see we did.

The bed wall height is dropped an inch to help avoid trailer to bed wall crunches when turning corners over compound dips in the road surfaces, such as when pulling a 5th wheel trailer into a the driveway of a fuel station. Down the crown of the road, and up the incline of the sidewalk can create a lot of angular changes between the trailer overhang and the bed. The dropped bed sidewall contributes to the 6 inch rule of thumb clearance that enclosed gooseneck and RV 5th wheel trailer pullers aim to start with.

And the cab? As surmised well over a year ago when this thread began... welcome to the new F-150, with an additional glove box!

A truck's true utility isn't vested in how sinister it looks.... rather, it is vested in how smart it functions, and how strong it actually is, looks be damned. The real story of the upcoming Super Duty lies underneath all that aluminum skin. The frame, and the function are the critical elements that will make or break (literally) the next generation Super Duty as the work platform of choice.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:11 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I have enjoyed driving a 2009 F150 for the past 6 years. I need a stronger truck, but didn't like how much less rear leg room was in the super duty trucks.

With three kids in the back, it is nice to have room to put bags, etc. in front of their feet and not crowd them. I am really looking forward to buying a 2017 F350. If it didn't have the F150 cab, I might not wait. I sure hope the payload comes up 1000 lbs for the srw to pass (or at least match) the Ram.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:46 PM
Y2KW57
Payload capacities in Ford CREW CAB single rear wheel trucks, even F-350s, have been a problem ever since I can remember.

One solution that Ford tried in the 1970's on single cab single rear wheel Camper Special trucks was two fold:

1: Equipping the rear axle with a different tire than the steer axle. The larger, rear tire was like what we call a "super single" today... wide in profile and cross section, with a broad load inflation table index that accommodates a wider variation in pressures, in order to ameliorate the ride when empty. No load, lower inflation, heavy load, higher inflation.

2. Extending the cab to rear axle distance, while maintaining the same overall length. This was the hallmark of the dent side era (73-79) Camper Specials... you could tell from a mile away that the rear axle seemed further back than a regular truck. In fact, the rear axle was far enough back to fit the spare tire vertically on the passenger side between the rear axle and the cab.

When looking at the limited specs released thus far of the new 2017 Super Duties, take note of the change in wheelbases. For example, the crew cab long bed wheelbase jumped from 172" to 176", which is what the 99-16 crew cab chassis cab 60" CA wheelbase currently is.

When looking at the photos of the frame, take note of the positions of the spring hangars, relative to the aft end of the frame, and relative to each other.

While I don't expect Ford to trust their customers with taking responsibility for actively variating tire pressures relative to loads anymore, due to liability and presumed consumer incompetence, it will be interesting to see what the upcoming tweaks in wheelbase and rear spring geometry will do for rear axle load ratings, subject to the limit of tire capacity for a tire that can fit all four wheel positions.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:42 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 423 Likes on 136 Posts
The wheelbase went up 4" because the cab length increased 4".

I'm looking forward to that larger cab as well. Will be perfect for my 3 kiddos.

Quick Reply: If the next Super Duty had the same cab as the new F150, would you approve?