Ford GEN-2 siren connection

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 01:21 PM
jforhan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford GEN-2 siren connection

Good afternoon!

Long time listener, first time caller....

First off, I know I am an idiot for getting the Ford GEN-2 Powercode (RKE/VSS/RMST).

Back when I had it done they told me (people who installed it, a 3rd party contracted by the dealership) that I needed a replay kit for driver lock priority. I did my homework and realized I did not for a 2008 F350 Lariat 6.4L TD. Fast forward to last weekend, I delved into the system. I found some incorrect wiring in the driver kick panel (While the system wiorked, it was not the way it was supposed to be wired). I relocated the unlock all to the TAN/Lt. Green on passenger side, brake sense to PURPLE/WHITE on brake switch, etc. I correctly terminated the unused wires and wired up the driver unlock priority. All works fine now.

I was thinking of adding a siren vs. using the horn. There are two siren connections, feed and output on the PC-34-7L3J-19G367-AA harness. (A-15 & A-16). I can clearly see these will not run an alarm siren as they are tiny wires. I found that Bulldog sells a siren with +/- triggers. Seeing as I can find nothing from Codealarm or Ford on siren connections, I was wondering if the Bulldog 727 would work with the GEN-2?

Another reason for wanting the siren is that when the alarm is triggered, the horn goes bananas! Rather than "honk/pause/honk" it is like the horn is having a seizure. The programming horn "chirps" are perfect. Seeing as the 2008 horn relay is in the smart box, I do not want to go down that road and replacing...

Thanks for bearing with me, I can be a little long winded...

Later,
Jeff

Old 08-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
You need the specs for the bulldog trigger inputs. You say their trigger can activate the horn on a - or + signal? You need to know that also, and what your system is going to give it. Or you could see if your system will run a bosch type relay and put any kind of siren or horn you want after that.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:34 AM
jforhan
New User
Thank you Franklin for the response!

Originally Posted by Franklin2
You say their trigger can activate the horn on a - or + signal?
The triggers on the Bulldog are input triggers to set off the siren. There are four wires on it. power (fused source), ground and the 2 trigger inputs (+/-). In step 3 below they are talking about wiring it as a backup siren but I will be using it as the primary so only the first part applies here.

According to the info on their site and the Internet, the installation doc says:

STEP THREE
Connect the WHITE wire to a (+) positive trigger input. (Tie this wire into the GRAY (+) positive wire
along with the wire going to the primary siren wire.)

STEP FOUR (In most cases, the wire is not used.)

Connect the BROWN wire to a (-) negative input wire. (This wire will only be used if your alarm supplies
a ground output to trigger the siren.)

Now, the PC-34 pin outs show the +/- siren connections. I am sure these are trigger leads as there is no way the small gauge wire used could power the alarm on a wrist watch let alone a car alarm... I was hoping someone here might know. I cannot find any info on those 2 wires anywhere.

I have thought about a relay as well, but that would require the siren feeds from the Ford unit to be a constant. I have not had a chance to get my meter out to the truck yet.

Later,
Jeff

Old 08-15-2014, 08:56 AM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Took a little searching to figure out what you were talking about, but I found this link to what I believe are the installation instructions.

http://www.e-bookspdf.org/view/aHR0c...VuY2UgTWFudWFs

If you look on p33/34, there is mention of a brown/black wire to A21 which is the horn relay output. This is likely a (-) output and should be able to drive your siren.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:03 PM
jforhan
New User
Originally Posted by NotEnoughTrucks2014
Took a little searching to figure out what you were talking about, but I found this link to what I believe are the installation instructions.

Pdf: Gen-2 Powercode Installation & Technical Reference Manual

If you look on p33/34, there is mention of a brown/black wire to A21 which is the horn relay output. This is likely a (-) output and should be able to drive your siren.
Thanks. I have that manual and the vehicle specific for '08 SD. The horn relay output you mention is not a constant output from what I can tell. I am on my iPhone until Sunday so I cannot be sure but I believe that is the one that goes to the steering column line that has the relay in the airbag.

On the PC24 and 14 there are separate siren output/feed leads. I am wondering if these are what I am after. Alas, nothing I can google comes up with anything.

I got a siren from a local stereo shop today but I cannot do anything until Sunday/Monday. They had no clue, nor did the shop that did the original work. (I thought as much, but figured it was worth the 2 minute call).

Later,
Jeff

Old 09-11-2014, 06:36 AM
jforhan
New User
Update on the siren...

So I got the siren and noticed the wires were very small (diameter). This must mean really low current draw. The alarm feed wires on the GEN II are similar in size so I tested it by connecting the +/- siren feeds to the siren. After programming the alarm to not use the horn, I activated the alarm and wouldn't you know it, the siren went off.

There is no way to use the siren for confirmation chirps though...The only programming option is to use the horn or not. Even when you choose to not use the horn for confirmation or alarm, the siren only works for alarm. Oh well...

Thanks all for the links and advice!

Later,
Jeff