Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cold Start newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 09:41 AM
MN_Wild
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My X is just about ready to turn 1000 miles. This morning was in the high 40s and the X had a few new tricks when starting. A bit of blue smoke and really made a ton of racket. It all cleared up after a couple minutes but it was a bit unnerving for a new first time diesel owner. Is this all normal? I ordered some Stanadyne last week to add to the fuel to help with the cold Minnesota temperatures. Will this help some?

Old 09-15-2003, 10:07 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

Blue smoke is not a good sign. White smoke is not uncommon on start up. Here's a quote from another site about blue smoke:

Caused by insufficient fuel or oil consumption. Normal when engine is cold or idling for extended periods. Excessive smoke could be caused by air in the fuel, contaminated fuel, loose or plugged injectors, worn or leaking injector o-rings, thermostat stuck open, oil consumption, or plugged crankcase depression regulator valve. Also PCM inputs such as MAP or ICP sensors.

Old 09-15-2003, 11:37 AM
MN_Wild
Junior User

Originally posted by johnsdiesel
Here's a quote from another site about blue smoke:

Caused by insufficient fuel or oil consumption. Normal when engine is cold.
So if it is normal when engine is cold (it was cold) then it cant be all that bad. The truck has tons of power, very steady idle just a light haze on cold startup.

Old 09-15-2003, 12:14 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

Is the smoke blue or white? White smoke when cold is not a problem, blue smoke is.

Old 09-15-2003, 12:21 PM
MN_Wild
Junior User

I only have experience with gas engines so I can for sure say it didnt look anything like a gas engine that had bad rings or anything like that. It wasnt even constant, just a slight haze. Never does it when warm. I will try to get a better handle on the color when I fire it up after work today. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-15-2003, 07:44 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts

The racket, I'm sure, is just the engine trying to warm itself up faster. My X does the same thing when its a little too cold out. If you look at the rpm meter, it runs closer to 1000 rpms intead of the normal 600 or 700. The 7.3 is a tried and true engine and I don't understand why it would cough up blue smoke like that. Have you put any mods whatsoever on the engine? From what I've heard, sometimes the mods can cause blue smoke. But, since you have a 2003 you're probably still well under warranty coverage. If it continues to cough up blue smoke, I'd have the dealership check it out and then post what they told you here. But I don't think the noise is something to worry about. If you were out in the bitter, bitter, cold, wouldn't you do everything you could to warmup as fast as possible?

Old 09-15-2003, 09:09 PM
MN_Wild
Junior User

I looked today after work and no smoke. The racket was healthy sounding, I know it was just cold. Honestly I really liked it. I am not worried anymore I am just going to drive it. I am getting great power and betweeen 17 - 18 MPG. This engine isnt even close to broke in and I am doing dialy commute, not all highway. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:17 AM
thinksnow
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Switch over to a good synthetic oil. It stays more fluid during the cold start ups.