1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Got a lotta ignition noise in my radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a lotta ignition noise in my radio

Does some one still make a suppression device or do I need to put a condenser on it somewhere? running 12v and 226 cu in.
I don't like the tvrs wiring.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:35 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I never found a suppression device that worked any better than a condenser.
I would put them on the Alt, Coil, Wiper Motor and anything else I thought
needed it. But good new well insulated wiring helped the most. If you have the old cloth
covered wire that is loosing insulation it may well be a lot of your problem. But
for sure do the condensers as they will help also and are cheaper than a rewire job.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:48 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
Get radio suppression spark plug wires.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Thanks for the replies, but I forgot to mention that I only get the static when it is on AM. There may be no cure. However there are still al lot of AM stations that play cool music.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:52 PM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Skalywag
Thanks for the replies, but I forgot to mention that I only get the static when it is on AM. There may be no cure. However there are still al lot of AM stations that play cool music.
Glad to hear someone likes AM. I do too! The replies above are correct, condensers are good, and radio suppression wires are important. But one thing to really look at close is the ground of the antenna itself. Make sure that the antenna mount is making a good, tight, reliable electrical connection ground to your body sheet metal. (The body sheet metal is actually 1/2 of your antenna system.) Next run a good ground wire from the metal radio case to again somewhere on your sheet metal such as the firewall. Now you should also check to make sure the grounds on your truck all connect to a common point. You should already have the negative cable from your battery grounded to your engine block. From this point on your engine block, if you do not already have one, add a ground from the engine block to a good tight connection on the firewall, also from the ground point on the engine block run another ground to the frame. This makes your engine block the main grounding reference point. Auto parts stores sell braided "ground strap" in their Dormann HELP parts section. Buy two of those for the block to the frame, and block to the sheet metal connections. Now we'll have all the grounds common to each other, so not only should you have better radio reception, but also less voltage drop to everything that is grounded to the frame or the sheet metal such as lights, wiper/heater motor, gauges, etc. Next also check to see if the radio has an antenna trimmer adjustment near the antenna jack in the back. If so, after all the grounding has been checked and repaired, you just dial in a weak station towards the top of the dial, and adjust it for best reception. Now after all of that, if you still have noisy AM reception, there is one more thing you can do. Upgrade your ignition system and replace your points with a Pertronix electronic points eliminator system. I put one of those in my truck and I could not believe the difference in AM radio reception. Pretty much eliminated the iginition nose. And it made the engine run better too! It's less than $100, but well worth it because of the radio and engine performance improvements it made for me. Hope this helps!

Old 08-15-2014, 12:21 AM
'50'sFever
Senior User
pertronixs noise reduction...

...I second, third, fourth & more the motion on that Pertronix or similar Mallory units. One of the best things since sliced bread & all that. But, carry old points parts & if you notice a dead ignition skip/miss, order a new one, cause it's getting ready to go. Had 'em last 20 yrs, some 5. jh