Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vermont Overland Trophy - Excursion photos

Old 08-10-2014, 11:55 AM
ExploringNH
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Vermont Overland Trophy - Excursion photos

I just rolled in from completing the Vermont Overland Trophy. It was a great event and the Excursion was certainly worked hard!

Old 08-10-2014, 11:56 AM
ExploringNH
Senior User
More

Old 08-10-2014, 12:00 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
You have done a lot with your Ex, keep it up. How did the cladding on the driver's door get boogered?

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.

Last edited by mecdac; 08-10-2014 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 08-10-2014, 12:15 PM
ExploringNH
Senior User
Originally Posted by mecdac
You have done a lot with your Ex, keep it up. How did the cladding on the driver's door get boogered?

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.
That happened on a rock. The rock came to a point and we happened to slide into it on an off-camber section. It didn't actually touch metal but found itself just inside the gap between the front and rear door. It was only stuck into the gap about 1/4", but it was enough so that when we reversed, it grabbed the lip of the plastic cladding and peeled it off the door. I was happy that no damage was done to the door and the cladding could just be reglued but a couple of days later we ended up coming down on another rock in that same spot and did dent the door under the cladding. Today I was able to reattach the cladding and it covers up the dent, so I am going to leave it how it is. If you look close you can tell that the cladding is a little wavy, and obviously scratched, but it's good enough for me.

The passenger front door is the worst, in my opinion. The lower damage (at the cladding) was already there but the dent in the painted part of the door is new. I'll keep my eye out for a matching door at some point. The dent and missing paint in the back driver's corner was already there as well. I would like to clean that up at some point.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:09 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks like so much fun!!! I just want some cool trails to cruise around on in CT or VT since my CCLB is a little big for those, and i stil care about the paint lol. Would love to do that someday

Old 08-10-2014, 06:02 PM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Awesome pics and a mean lookin rig!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:40 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 791 Likes on 554 Posts
Looks like fun NH, where abouts in VT was that? We are spending our last night in Brattleboro VT tonight and heading to Madbury NH in the morning camping for a few days and visiting colleges with our son. Plenty of mountains and trees around these parts for sure!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Wow those pics are nice!!! What roof rack is that, and if you made it/had it made mind if I get some closer pics from you?

Old 08-11-2014, 12:28 AM
miko6810
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome man!!!

Old 08-11-2014, 09:12 AM
ExploringNH
Senior User
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Looks like fun NH, where abouts in VT was that? We are spending our last night in Brattleboro VT tonight and heading to Madbury NH in the morning camping for a few days and visiting colleges with our son. Plenty of mountains and trees around these parts for sure!
We started in Plymouth VT and ended in Wilmington VT, with lots of zig-zagging in between. There were some fantastic roads and trails. Much different than the terrain I am used to in NH. Everything is much wetter and the rocks are different. Less crawling and flexing and more fighting for traction. We actually had to make a run to Brattleboro for a starter for the jeep half way through the week. Installed it in the parking lot of the napa.

I'm in kittery, ME, not too far from madbury. There aren't a ton of trails in the area but there are some. They are a bit narrow, so some light pin striping is inevitable in an excursion but they are certainly passable with no body damage or heavy scratches. I used to work in madbury so I know the area pretty well. If you are camping at the place I think you are, and you have access to kayaks, I would suggest a kayak or canoe of the reservoir right at the end of the road, where it meets up with rte 9. It's a great paddle, especially first thing in the morning. The water is dead calm and the fog is always rising from the pond. It's pretty neat to see. I'm assuming you are towing a travel trailer of some sort but if you are tenting it, I can certainly offer my place up for free. Plenty of room out back and a spare bedroom inside. Good luck with the college search.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:14 AM
ExploringNH
Senior User
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Wow those pics are nice!!! What roof rack is that, and if you madeit/had it made mind if I get some closed pics from you?
I had a local fab company, third shift fabrication, build it for me. They do gray work and I'm happy with how it turned out. I'll get some shots of it tonight when I get home.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:49 PM
bjm206
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations ExploringNH! Peter does not make it easy...quite an accomplishment.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Jd1a
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Impressive places you drove it. I presume a V-10?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I love the color of your rig, Chestnut brown.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:30 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 791 Likes on 554 Posts
Originally Posted by ExploringNH
We started in Plymouth VT and ended in Wilmington VT, with lots of zig-zagging in between. There were some fantastic roads and trails. Much different than the terrain I am used to in NH. Everything is much wetter and the rocks are different. Less crawling and flexing and more fighting for traction. We actually had to make a run to Brattleboro for a starter for the jeep half way through the week. Installed it in the parking lot of the napa.

I'm in kittery, ME, not too far from madbury. There aren't a ton of trails in the area but there are some. They are a bit narrow, so some light pin striping is inevitable in an excursion but they are certainly passable with no body damage or heavy scratches. I used to work in madbury so I know the area pretty well. If you are camping at the place I think you are, and you have access to kayaks, I would suggest a kayak or canoe of the reservoir right at the end of the road, where it meets up with rte 9. It's a great paddle, especially first thing in the morning. The water is dead calm and the fog is always rising from the pond. It's pretty neat to see. I'm assuming you are towing a travel trailer of some sort but if you are tenting it, I can certainly offer my place up for free. Plenty of room out back and a spare bedroom inside. Good luck with the college search.

We were in Wilmington on the 10th!
Thank you for the more than gracious offer but we are pulling a 41' travel trailer and traveling with another family in a Class A motorhomes, so full hookup campgrounds for us, roughing it is only having a 30 amp power supply so we can only run 1 AC unit at time!
My front and rear axle ratios are currently mismatched with 3.73 up front and 4.88 in the rear because I'm lazy and haven't gotten around to swapping out the fronts yet, so trail rides for me.
We are at Old Stage CG right by the reservoir, kayaks sounds like fun!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vermont Overland Trophy - Excursion photos