1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Trozei's '69 F100 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 02:25 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Such amazing work. The end results show it well.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:18 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
You will need a long extension cord to your battery charger amigo, if you want to fly around your place... haaa ha... anyway, Jeff is probably right on the 4 core needing more fan.. but, thinking of it now, and not back then, I always assumed that more was better... when in this case, that's not true, unless you make all the links in the chain the same strength.. the weak link breaks first... law of physics..

I will try a 2nd smaller, but high cfm fan mounted in front, to push some air through... maybe that will be easier than changing radiators again...??

Thanks guys.. live and learn.. sometimes..

Baja

Old 07-29-2017, 05:44 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
I will try a 2nd smaller, but high cfm fan mounted in front, to push some air through... maybe that will be easier than changing radiators again...??
99% of all cars these days have an auxiliary pusher fan in front for two reasons:
1: At idle some systems are not designed to be able to cool the engine well enough on hot days using the single fan behind the radiator, often a result of cost and/or weight savings.
2: The AC system needs airflow directly to the condenser to work efficiently.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:37 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
My situation exactly. I also have found that the 300 IL 6's have at least two different water pump impeller designs. One of stamped sheet metal, with large fins, and another with an impeller more like a commercial water pump. I have no idea which moves the most coolant, but I suspect that one is standard, and the other may be for stationary engines or heavy uses at lower speeds, like dump trucks or such..

I will try the 2nd fan pushing through the A/C condenser... and see if that helps...

Baja

Old 08-08-2017, 09:49 PM
trozei
Postmaster
So I'm on the phone with Lokar product reps asking them which throttle cable, kickdown cable, and mount bracket I want. I confirmed if it would fit a Holley.

"Yes, if it's a four barrel."
"You don't have anything that'll fit a two barrel?"
"No, sorry."

So I bought another carburetor... and quite a few dollars in other things to get this truck finished up how I want it. The thing is, I bought Lokar stuff three years ago when I pulled this thing apart, but they're polished stainless with braided lines. I want black braided and anodized black fittings now. The other thing is that this truck isn't even going to stay carbureted for that long.
Don't ever go down this path if you value your finances.
If you're like me and you know you're a stickler for perfection and a sucker for the "may-as-wells" that come along when you blast something apart, and someone ever tells you a restoration or even a paint job is affordable, they're probably wrong.
If you're the type of person who doesn't care about aesthetics, appreciate your "ability," because some of us can't do that. You win when it comes to looking at each other's bank accounts.

Final fit and finish is one of those things that takes way too long and costs too much but in the end it's worth it. Chasing those last details makes the difference. This took quite a few hours but I'm glad I decided to do it. I had a ready-to-install plug wire kit for this engine but the plug boots were grey and some plug boots were straight, some were bent, and it wasn't good enough for me, so I bought a universal unassembled kit and made it into a custom fit. This looks much neater, cleaner, and more professional. It'll also make plug wire tracing during maintenance easier, especially with the heat shrink numbers on each wire. I threw in a photo here of what the engine looked like four years ago for comparison.

Name:  X2I4WT2.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  1.70 MB

Name:  GCI3Sje.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  1.52 MB

Name:  IrCSa6o.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  1.20 MB

Attachment 287629

Old 08-09-2017, 11:15 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Attention to detail. No kidding. Son, when you 1st popped up on the Kingdom I remember giving you a Big Time Compliment on who you are and what you can do. And I still don't have to point out even minor things to you. Good job. Right down to a quality oil filter to allow that motor to last a long time and curling #6 plug wire under the other two with a GAP.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:36 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Wow, Jackson, that looks freakin' awesome!!

Old 08-12-2017, 02:15 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Detail, and attention to detail... Nuclear grade amigo. Being a heavy duty salt water fisherman, I have, at times, borrowed from the fishing industry, at least the stainless steel, black stainless steel, and 49 strand braided black SS wire in 600 lb test...

Since you will not keep the carb for long, you might look at adapting the SS braided wire from a fishing supply... I have several hundred feet here, but won't be headed North to bring you some, until maybe Oct.... I am sure some is available in your area though, should you decide to compromise, form to function...

Baja

Old 08-13-2017, 05:18 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Attention to detail. No kidding. Son, when you 1st popped up on the Kingdom I remember giving you a Big Time Compliment on who you are and what you can do. And I still don't have to point out even minor things to you. Good job. Right down to a quality oil filter to allow that motor to last a long time and curling #6 plug wire under the other two with a GAP.
These are unecessarily expensive 10mm plug wires with heavy insulation. I doubt I'll ever have an issue with interference, but keeping things away from one another looks good and also pleases those who preach to never touch plug wires, so I figured I may as well! I've yet to encounter someone though that's ever had first hand experience with touching plug wires messing up their engine.

I suppose I never mentioned it too but I completely went through the wiring harness Tim sold me and I essentially rebuilt it to take out any twist or tangle in the wiring. It took a lot of hours but you can now trace each wire from end to end without any confusion. This will help a lot in the future.

Originally Posted by 67nukeford
Wow, Jackson, that looks freakin' awesome!!
Thanks. I'm quite happy with it. Hope I never have to do it again though!

Originally Posted by bajafishnut
Detail, and attention to detail... Nuclear grade amigo. Being a heavy duty salt water fisherman, I have, at times, borrowed from the fishing industry, at least the stainless steel, black stainless steel, and 49 strand braided black SS wire in 600 lb test...

Since you will not keep the carb for long, you might look at adapting the SS braided wire from a fishing supply... I have several hundred feet here, but won't be headed North to bring you some, until maybe Oct.... I am sure some is available in your area though, should you decide to compromise, form to function...

Baja
Well actually I've just been offered something along the lines of fuel atomizing that might warrant another carburetor change pretty soon here... will update. If this happens I'll be putting the naturally aspirated camshaft back in so that I can enjoy it for a bit.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:19 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
There is a rule about restoring vehicles, or houses, or anything a bit old... it goes like this;

90% of the project requires 90% of the money, and the remaining 10%, requires another 90% of your bank account. Nothing changes this law of restoration.

Baja

Old 08-13-2017, 06:58 PM
fe390pc
Logistics Pro
Received 189 Likes on 173 Posts
Amen brother! Jackson you are an awesome dude. I hope you get to drive that ride soon!

Old 08-13-2017, 07:12 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
That is a thing of beauty my friend. I love watching your progress as well as a few others on here. I tend to lurk more than post since I am only driving mine right now.
Build will start again one the trail rig is where I want it.

Keep it up, you give the rest of us a goal to shoot for.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:15 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Originally Posted by trozei
I've just been offered something along the lines of fuel atomizing that might warrant another carburetor change pretty soon here... will update. If this happens I'll be putting the naturally aspirated camshaft back in so that I can enjoy it for a bit.
I crossed the border today and picked up the package that I was excitedly waiting for.

This was absolutely a very rare find so I couldn't pass up on the opportunity to own it for myself and try it out. I will be completely rebuilding this entire setup to make it look like it's brand new as well as to colour coordinate with my engine because to me looks are equally as important as performance, which means this will take quite some time especially as I do live a busy lifestyle and this truck as well as many other things are occupying my finances. Don't expect finished results next week.

It is a Clifford manifold. As much as I don't like Clifford (I milled their name off my valve cover), it's not like there are any other options...

These are Weber DCOE 40s which I believe should be a good size for the street. The plan may change in time but I would like to drive the truck daily if possible. That's why I bought it and I must remind myself of that frequently. If I decide to be childish then we absolutely can discuss large cams and up-sizing the carburetors. Let's be honest, that does sound like lots of fun. The previous owner had this setup tuned for his engine by his friend who worked for Weber and he said it ran beautifully. His engine though, I believe, was otherwise stock which means the only similarity we have is compression ratios. My camshaft is bigger, my cylinder head flows better, and my redline is higher than his. I will have to tune again for my engine, but at least I know they're in the ballpark for my needs.

I will be dyno-tuning this truck as is for maximum performance and economy, and when I get around to swapping these carburetors on I will dyno tune again. This will show us if there is any benefit to them. Granted, the 4bbl carburetor is only a 390cfm, so I'm sure there will be some improvements.

Name:  Sfk4Mc0.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  1.52 MB

Name:  G5InylD.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  1.43 MB

Old 08-27-2017, 09:46 AM
vicp21
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trozei
I crossed the border today and picked up the package that I was excitedly waiting for.

This was absolutely a very rare find so I couldn't pass up on the opportunity to own it for myself and try it out. I will be completely rebuilding this entire setup to make it look like it's brand new as well as to colour coordinate with my engine because to me looks are equally as important as performance, which means this will take quite some time especially as I do live a busy lifestyle and this truck as well as many other things are occupying my finances. Don't expect finished results next week.

It is a Clifford manifold. As much as I don't like Clifford (I milled their name off my valve cover), it's not like there are any other options...

These are Weber DCOE 40s which I believe should be a good size for the street. The plan may change in time but I would like to drive the truck daily if possible. That's why I bought it and I must remind myself of that frequently. If I decide to be childish then we absolutely can discuss large cams and up-sizing the carburetors. Let's be honest, that does sound like lots of fun. The previous owner had this setup tuned for his engine by his friend who worked for Weber and he said it ran beautifully. His engine though, I believe, was otherwise stock which means the only similarity we have is compression ratios. My camshaft is bigger, my cylinder head flows better, and my redline is higher than his. I will have to tune again for my engine, but at least I know they're in the ballpark for my needs.

I will be dyno-tuning this truck as is for maximum performance and economy, and when I get around to swapping these carburetors on I will dyno tune again. This will show us if there is any benefit to them. Granted, the 4bbl carburetor is only a 390cfm, so I'm sure there will be some improvements.

that is sexy

Old 08-27-2017, 09:58 AM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The engine room looks great Jackson, and those Webers are going to look sweet!

Quick Reply: Trozei's '69 F100 Build Thread