Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Injector Harness Replacement - '04 6.0L

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Old 08-07-2014, 01:20 PM
F250_6.0_Myers
New User
F250_6.0_Myers is starting off with a positive reputation.

I have a later model 2004 F250 Lariat with a 6.0 Liter with an automatic tranny. I'm not a expert on diesels or my truck, but I learn as I go along with each new repair or service job and I do a lot of background research. I bought my truck used in 2010 with about 142,000 miles and did a full service on it. Changed out all hoses, belts, fluids, seals, everything. I did that so I knew what and when stuff was done and could have a clean slate to start off with. In October 2012 my head gasket blew. I had a Bulletproof head gasket put in and the EGR cooler and oil cooler replaced. I also put in a Bulldog coolant filter system. Since I've had my truck I have been very generous on having the scheduled maintenances completed and oil changes done every 6 months or less. I typically use the dealership for everything. My truck usually runs like a top and I have had no other major issues like I hear about with the 2003 & 2004 6.0L.

This past December 2013 my truck began to idle roughly and shake. The #2 injector stopped working so Ford replaced it. Two weeks later my truck wouldn't start at all after not having any other issues. I knew I needed to replace the passenger side glow plugs at some point so I figured with the cold weather maybe its the lack of glow plugs that caused the no start. I replaced the four on the passenger side myself and I replaced both batteries while still under warranty. This did not work so I towed the truck home and after two days of testing wires, the FICM, fuel pumpl, etc. nothing appeared wrong and during one test the truck turned on an ran for 3 mins before shutting off. Then later that day it ran for 15 mins and I decided before it stopped again I better get it to the shop. Ford determined the fuel pump was not working and replaced it. Shortly after this I had the same rough idling and shaking during certain RPMs as I did when #2 injector went out. The #2 was the problem again. Ford replaced it. Soon after that I started having the same problems, but more often. It wouldn't always run terrible. The injector would eventually work fine and stay that way for hours and for days before the shaking started back. I returned to Ford and they found faults for four other injectors. I opted to replace all 8 including the heads and dummy plugs as to save money on replacing only a few at a time. A month after this job was complete the symptoms returned and I took it back to Ford. They found that the #2 was not working. At this point my tech was frustrated and not sure what was wrong. He tested the FICM and it was bad, although my self test only two months before showed it working fine. He tried the shop's test FICM on my engine and it worked. So I had the FICM replaced.

A few weeks passed by with out any trouble, but then I had the shaking and rough idling again one day and then it stopped for a week while on a trip. When I returned home I took it into Ford. There was not anything apparently wrong and they deleted the codes on the computer and my tech overlaid the circuit for the #2 injector. I came back a few days later when it starting running rough again and my tech came out and did the 'wiggle test' while it was rough idling. Eureka! It started running and my tech had determined the issue to begin with was the injector harness. We talked about the option of replacing it, but he suggested using zip ties to keep the harness fitted tightly because old age had worn the other out and they are expensive to fix. Apparently using zip ties is a common fix. This has been working okay for a couple of months. We had to replace the zip ties twice now.

For the past week now I have had a rough running engine and no amount of wiggling the wires or tightening the zip ties has worked so it is currently as of 8-06-2014 in the same dealership I have been doing 3 years of business with waiting to be serviced. I am quite fed up with this injector problem and I am frustrated that I have spent more than $5,000 replacing all injectors and the FICM if the culprit all this time has been the injector harness. I am expecting the Ford dealership to acknowledge the miss-diagnostic tests since December 2013, but I am not sure if I will be that lucky. I receive great customer service by the way and my service representative assured me yesterday that she will help me keep the costs down as low as she can. I thought about buying the harness from eBay and doing this job myself, but I'm not that experienced, I don't want to risk damaging the injectors or anything else and I prefer having the warranty that comes with parts and service. Since this issue has began I have read many posts on this site and others regarding similar issues as well has a dozen other articles on-line. The commonality among all of these articles is the #2 injector failure on 2003 and 2004 6.0L engines on the F250 and Excursion vehicles. As of now I am approaching 187,000 miles.

Have any of you had similar problems and have any suggestions of what I should do, any precautions, upgrades and any helpful information? Thank you! As of right now I use my truck to pull a gooseneck and I have near term plans to upgrade my suspension system by adding more leaf springs to each axle. I'd like some ideas on that as well if you have any.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:39 PM
f250rangerexplorer
Posting Guru
f250rangerexplorer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well first off the injector harness is very simple to replace. I could do one in probably 30 mins. Using zip ties is a hokey fix and is something i would only use to get me by for a very short time and change whatever is broken. Lets face it you have a $25k truck you depend on to tow trailers being held together by zip ties. I believe you have to get the harness direct from Navistar.

Also to help everyone help you please break up your post into paragraphs. It makes it hard to read.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Edogsf350
Senior User
Edogsf350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
a zip tie is not a repair. maby you should look for a diferent place to have this diagnosis/repair done. replacing a harness is not hard just time consuming

Old 08-07-2014, 01:46 PM
F250_6.0_Myers
New User
Thank you both. I've seen videos on replacing the harness and the steps to take and it seemed simple enough if I took the time. Should I get the newer harness that began being used on the 2005 and up?

Old 08-07-2014, 01:53 PM
f250rangerexplorer
Posting Guru
I don't think they necessarily upgraded anything in the harness with the newer engines. The earlier engines have different injectors from what ive seen on replacements so i assume the harness would be different. Id just buy a direct replacement and make sure its routed correctly and secured via studs on the intake as done at the factory.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:56 PM
npccpartsman
Post Fiend
npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by F250_6.0_Myers View Post
Thank you both. I've seen videos on replacing the harness and the steps to take and it seemed simple enough if I took the time. Should I get the newer harness that began being used on the 2005 and up?
You DEFINITELY need to get the correct harness for your motor.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:37 PM
F250_6.0_Myers
New User
Thanks for the input. Y'all have further confirmed what I want to do. I've pulled my truck from the service line up and I will order the harness replacement and take whatever time I need to in order to get it done successfully.

Old 08-07-2014, 02:58 PM
f250rangerexplorer
Posting Guru
Sounds like you got it going in the right direction. Its a very simple process and im sure you can tackle it in a day with plenty of refreshment breaks. Let us know how it goes.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:49 PM
F250_6.0_Myers
New User
It's done! It took my friend and I only 90 minutes to replace the harness and reconnect everything. That included the breaks. I can't imagine how the dealership quoted me almost $1,500.00 for the job. I was limited on time so I bought the harness from the dealership for $368. It is running beautifully. Thank you guys for the suggestions and input.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:58 PM
f250rangerexplorer
Posting Guru
Awesome! Glad to hear everything went smoothly! Enjoy the confidence in knowing youve fixed it correctly and dont have to worry about zip ties breaking. Thanks for posting your results.