6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Need DEF help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:10 PM
lwk362393
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Need DEF help/advice

So I brought my truck in to the dealer today to check on a CEL. Turns out my DEF pump is failing and the whole assembly needs to be replaced. The truck has a little over 63,000 miles on it and this isn't covered by warranty. The cost to fix it is about $2000. Does anyone know if a Premium Care ESP would cover it? I can't find anything on the ESP website that says it would.

That all being said, I could just delete the whole thing as well. Any thoughts on that?

Old 07-16-2014, 12:24 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lwk362393
So I brought my truck in to the dealer today to check on a CEL. Turns out my DEF pump is failing and the whole assembly needs to be replaced. The truck has a little over 63,000 miles on it and this isn't covered by warranty. The cost to fix it is about $2000. Does anyone know if a Premium Care ESP would cover it? I can't find anything on the ESP website that says it would.

That all being said, I could just delete the whole thing as well. Any thoughts on that?
another user got the parts themselves..

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14426077

Old 07-16-2014, 12:29 PM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
http://www.factoryplans.com/assets/c...remiumCARE.pdf

Look under emissions, everything but the catalyst (sic) is covered

Old 07-16-2014, 12:33 PM
4df150
Elder User
Received 305 Likes on 82 Posts
I would think the DEF would be covered under the emissions warranty.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:05 PM
lwk362393
Senior User
Originally Posted by BlackBeest
http://www.factoryplans.com/assets/c...remiumCARE.pdf

Look under emissions, everything but the catalyst (sic) is covered
Thank you very much for showing me this. I didn't see the brochure and was just going off the drop down menus on the website. Oddly, all of the same parts are listed in the menu except for the DEF.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:53 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not sure how common deletes are in your area, you may be able to find someone with a whole tank to swap out. My father's 6.7 had P2043 (I believe..), I unfortunately tossed my urea tank after sitting on it all winter with ~800kms on it, but I was able to find him one from a deleted '15 with 264kms on it. Got it for free for pulling it for the guy. Not bad for a few bolts and a hose

Old 07-16-2014, 02:34 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the truck is out of warranty, I would delete it. Save headaches down the road. Just my opinion though.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Very few DEF pump failures, what code did it throw?

I just went through getting my DEF system repaired, was a bad sensor/heater but the whole system didn't need replacing. I bought the part myself and found a local shop to do the R&R, total of about $420.

Originally Posted by RigTrash601
If the truck is out of warranty, I would delete it. Save headaches down the road. Just my opinion though.
His truck is not totally out of warranty, just the bumper to bumper and emissions warranty have expired, still has remaining powertrain warranty.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:27 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I will give you the deal of a lifetime on what you need. I still have the one that I took off my truck. Pm if your interested. I would do the delete, but if you don't want to I can help you out.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:36 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Thank you very much for showing me this. I didn't see the brochure and was just going off the drop down menus on the website. Oddly, all of the same parts are listed in the menu except for the DEF.
The supplement brochure that they gave at the dealership for the Premium ESP shows the DEF system.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:25 AM
lwk362393
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Very few DEF pump failures, what code did it throw?

I just went through getting my DEF system repaired, was a bad sensor/heater but the whole system didn't need replacing. I bought the part myself and found a local shop to do the R&R, total of about $420.

His truck is not totally out of warranty, just the bumper to bumper and emissions warranty have expired, still has remaining powertrain warranty.
Yeah, I do still have the 100k diesel warranty and think I might be able to get Ford to pick up the cost of the ESP, so I'd rather go through the normal channels to solve this problem (as much as I would like to do a delete...). The code it threw was P21B0, "Reductant Level Sensor C High." What was yours?

Old 07-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,348 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Yeah, I do still have the 100k diesel warranty and think I might be able to get Ford to pick up the cost of the ESP, so I'd rather go through the normal channels to solve this problem (as much as I would like to do a delete...). The code it threw was P21B0, "Reductant Level Sensor C High." What was yours?
Mine was for the temp sensor/reductant heater, which is part of the same housing that the level sensor is in so it sounds like you need that same part I had replaced. Bought mine from Tousley ford, think it was about $200 and I paid $220 to have it installed.

All the reductant level sensor does is tell the pcm how much DEF is in the tank, you may be able to run the truck without it working correctly.

The dealers all want to change the whole deal out and charge an arm and a leg for it, if it won't be replaced under warranty then find yourself an independent shop, it'll be lots less $$$.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:24 PM
lwk362393
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Mine was for the temp sensor/reductant heater, which is part of the same housing that the level sensor is in so it sounds like you need that same part I had replaced. Bought mine from Tousley ford, think it was about $200 and I paid $220 to have it installed.

All the reductant level sensor does is tell the pcm how much DEF is in the tank, you may be able to run the truck without it working correctly.

The dealers all want to change the whole deal out and charge an arm and a leg for it, if it won't be replaced under warranty then find yourself an independent shop, it'll be lots less $$$.
It's interesting because they say the problem is with my sender component, but acknowledged the sensor does measure the amount of the DEF in the tank. Regardless, apparently the part is on national backorder until August 13th, so there's nothing they can do right now anyway unfortunately. I might start looking into a third party repair though like you suggested.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:28 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
It's interesting because they say the problem is with my sender component, but acknowledged the sensor does measure the amount of the DEF in the tank. Regardless, apparently the part is on national backorder until August 13th, so there's nothing they can do right now anyway unfortunately. I might start looking into a third party repair though like you suggested.
Good luck either way, and keep us posted.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:44 AM
lwk362393
Senior User
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
Good luck either way, and keep us posted.
So, thanks to the generosity of Matt (Tofan), who sent me his not needed DEF assembly, my truck is back up and running normally again! Not surprisingly, Ford denied our ESP claim for this repair, since it was a "pre-existing condition." While the ESP did activate after I had brought my truck in with this problem, we were going to buy one anyways, so this seems a little unfair just because of the inconvenient timing. Of course a problem would occur during the few weeks I was without a warranty So I guess my service manager and I are going to apply for some goodwill from Ford to see if they'll cover it that way, but in reality the cost for the labor itself isn't that bad, and would've been much worse had I not gotten the assembly from a FTE brother!

Quick Reply: Need DEF help/advice