1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

FTE Brotherhood strikes again...Thanks strokin'_tatsch and Toreador_Diesel!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 08:39 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by itsnotanova
Thanks Travis! I'm very very very interested in looking under the hood of your 95.
Here's when it was clean. There's not much to see now. Everything is covered in soot because both the uppipe bellows are blown apart. Lol.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:13 AM
itsnotanova
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Also, the switch to the SD turbo setup really isn't worth the cash or effort. You'd be time and money ahead to just put some injectors in it if you want faster spool up.
Your knowledge of these things is light years above mine, so don't think I'm arguing with you. My thoughts are that I must have an intercooler and I need this truck to be reliable. I also want it to be easily fixable anywhere in the country I might be with it. For the price difference between OBS and Sd up pipes I could mostly switch over to the SD system. My goal at this time is to go with E-pump, SD turbo/up pipes/IC/pedestal, Stage 1s or 2s, 17 HPOP and a tune. I have a WWII in my SD and plan on getting another one if I go the SD turbo on this truck.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:06 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by itsnotanova
Your knowledge of these things is light years above mine, so don't think I'm arguing with you. My thoughts are that I must have an intercooler and I need this truck to be reliable. I also want it to be easily fixable anywhere in the country I might be with it. For the price difference between OBS and Sd up pipes I could mostly switch over to the SD system. My goal at this time is to go with E-pump, SD turbo/up pipes/IC/pedestal, Stage 1s or 2s, 17 HPOP and a tune. I have a WWII in my SD and plan on getting another one if I go the SD turbo on this truck.
Unless the uppipe donuts are currently leaking, I wouldn't mess with them. You might contact Jim @ Rosewood. At one time he was modifying OBS uppipes to bellowed pipes so that we weren't forced to buy IH pipes. I don't know if he's still doing them or not. To switch over to the SD setup, you'll need to change one of the exhaust manifolds(the driver side IIRC), the uppipes, pedistal, turbo, and intake plenums. The good thing about that is you won't be forced to find an E99 spider when you do the IC. We'll have to talk more about the setup. I know I have some tan interior parts for you, so I'm sure we'll be meeting in person to talk it all over.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:42 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Why does the exhaust manifold need to be switched?
I looked dang hard to spot any differences when converting the motor for TXtinct...
Any i found seemed to be cosmetic. Mounting location alignment on all fronts looked identical... but i did not take them to the shop and put them on my bench. It was just eyeball measurements... highly technical lol.

Do you know offhand what the significant differences are Travis?

Old 08-18-2014, 12:03 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
The outlet on the SD manifold is around an inch longer IIRC. Tom S had some pretty good pictures floating around somewhere from when he swapped to the SD stuff. You might try finding those.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I still have that set i pulled off the obs motor that went into TXtinct. I had blasted and phosphate treated them in anticipation of putting them on my truck...

I will hold on to them till Zombieheart goes in, and if they dont get used i will offer them up to the Brotherhood for proper disposal. I might revisit the discussion of their differences when i yank the set off Motorbug's ticker.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:17 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts
The trained machinists eye can be pretty good!

Old 08-18-2014, 08:14 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mueckster
Them Texas boys get'r done! Put the word out and things happen. Reps to both when I can.
I hit strokin'_tatsch for ya Roland!