U-Haul can be so funny!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 06:03 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Rental contracts are a joke for most types of vehciles. I stopped reading them when years ago I was told that the pickup truck I rented was "prohibited from driving on any road covered with a loose surface". Since my entire intention was to drive it on gravel and dirt roads, I just put that out of my mind, and went about my business.
I got one of those when I rented a truck in Fairbanks, in the middle of winter. Not being a native, I asked how I was supposed to know which roads were paved and which were dirt (since everything but the highways was covered in compact snow and ice). The guy behind the counter just told me to get lost.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:08 PM
norfolknova
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not defending U-Haul, but the reason they are so dopey about what can haul their equipment is purely a CYA thing. I know a couple of people that worked at the U-haul center. People would rent trailers with a 6 cylinder 5 speed truck rated to tow 2000# from the factory try to tow a 5000# trailer and burn up clutch or trans then try to sue U-haul for the damage for their vehicle. Also if U-haul rents you a trailer combo rated for 6000# and your 5000# class III hitch breaks and injurs and kills someone then they are liable for renting it to you. I used to rent car haulers from the a few times a year to go to the track but got tired of having to run around town to pick it up and drop it off so i finally broke down and bought one of my own.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:27 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Three years ago, I rented a car hauler trailer from U-Haul to transport a Model A Ford from Orlando to Pensacola. There is a large U-Haul dealer about three miles from my house. I usually go in person to reserve a trailer. I have not had very good luck with the website.

I rode my motorcycle to the U-Haul place and didn't take my truck. We were doing the reservation and the lady entered 2011 F-450. Well, the F-450 was not in U-Haul's data base. I told her to enter F-350 instead. She wouldn't do that because I had already told her it was an F-450. One of their mechanics was passing through about then and overheard what was going on. He assured her that my truck would pull anything they had in their inventory. She reluctantly entered F-350 and I had my trailer reserved.

When I picked the trailer up, U-Haul did the hookups and checked the lights and the brakes, straps to secure the vehicle, ramps, etc. I was good to go.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:02 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
I went to UHaul to rent a car hauler for a trip out west. I was going to be gone for 12 days. UHaul won't rent a trailer for that long so I would have had to do 2 one way rentals. It was cheaper to buy a new trailer for the trip so that's what I did.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:00 AM
Modding4MPG
New User
Can you say "Liability"
Its problby there insurance company doing risk managment and placing liability on consumer. If you Lie about the situation you best have the ability to pay for damages if they should occur

Old 08-20-2015, 08:23 AM
Edkajo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by norfolknova
Not defending U-Haul, but the reason they are so dopey about what can haul their equipment is purely a CYA thing. I know a couple of people that worked at the U-haul center. People would rent trailers with a 6 cylinder 5 speed truck rated to tow 2000# from the factory try to tow a 5000# trailer and burn up clutch or trans then try to sue U-haul for the damage for their vehicle. Also if U-haul rents you a trailer combo rated for 6000# and your 5000# class III hitch breaks and injurs and kills someone then they are liable for renting it to you. I used to rent car haulers from the a few times a year to go to the track but got tired of having to run around town to pick it up and drop it off so i finally broke down and bought one of my own.
And they aren't the only ones. These contracts happen once lawyers end up wasting time dealing with idiots refusing to take responsibility for their own stupidity. Slightly off topic but we rented jet skis while on vacation. I was the renter/operator, my two kids were the operators, one was under 18. Was handed three sets of papers, 4 pages each, both sides needed attention. Instead of having signatures on the bottom of each page indicating it was read, every single line needed to be either initialed, checked, signed or have a printed name by one person , both or all three. Under 18 made everything different than over 18 which needed a guardians approval even though we were in a state that considers the 16 yr old as a adult anyway. Basically needed a lawyer to figure out who was supposed to put what where. After we struggled through all three sets of paperwork the punk in the booth who gave me the three sets tells us he only needed one set made out. Guess I was the idiot for assuming he wanted all three done.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Mach5
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somewhat off topic, since this isn't about towing...

My worst experience with Uhaul was when I rented a 24' box truck diesel with a 5 spd manual to move all my stuff from San Diego to Phoenix. Got about to Yuma and discovered I had no brakes. Kept going on the highway until I could get off safely at a rest stop. Popped the hood and the reservoir was completely dry. Called Uhaul and explained the situation and they told me they'd send someone. 3 hrs. later I call back to find out why I don't have a tow yet and they ask me if I moved. No, not only have I not moved, I'm the only Uhaul in the lot. I also told them I needed a tow because there clearly was a hole somewhere since all the fluid had gone out of the reservoir.

Another 3 hrs later a guy finally shows up in a pick-up with mechanic's storage boxes in the rear. He brought brake fluid. I'm wondering why they heck they hadn't sent a tow truck. He proceeds to put the fluid in and have me pump the brakes and, sure enough, there is big hole in the line running to the rear...all the fluid just spills out onto the ground. He asks me if I want a tow to Yuma or Gila Bend...well, I'm heading to Phoenix so I'd rather keep going in that direction.

An hour or so later the tow guy shows up. We tow the vehicle to Gila Bend where I can finally get some food. A couple hours later I'm finally back on the road.

Most of the rest of my experiences have just been driving around in very tired vehicles.

I did rent their flat bed trailer once to tow my 96 Jetta from Walnut Creek to San Diego. I was moving that time, too, and towing with a box truck (I think 16 or 18 foot) with the 7.4l gasser with an autobox. Going over the grapevine in the right lane with the flashers on at 15mph with the foot flat to the floor and almost certain I was going to run out of steam before I ever reached the top of the mountain. It was scary being passed by large semi trucks! Quite an adventure.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:16 PM
1vannn
New User
They insisted to my parents and I that my dads truck, a 98' Dodge Ram 2500 with the 3/4 HD suspension, all the fancy stuff, with a 24v Cummins could not pull my grandma's Hyundai Elantra because the truck wasn't heavy duty enough.. I then showed them the photo of the Dodge towing 6 round bales, each weighing about 800-900lbs each. They were fascinated.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
well it is a dodge

Old 10-25-2015, 11:29 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
According to their website, I'm good to tow a car with my 71 F-100. Dolly or transport.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:57 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
According to their website, I'm good to tow a car with my 71 F-100. Dolly or transport.
To tow what is the question. Something has to be towed and what is it.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:47 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
To tow what is the question. Something has to be towed and what is it.
I put in several different small vehicles, and even a jeep. All ok to run. If I ever need to rent a trailer imma tell them it's for a bug anyway....

I can tow 7,500lbs with my pickup, and that's a big vehicle.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:58 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
tell them its for a toyota echo, i think styrofoam cups are heavier

Old 11-20-2015, 08:56 PM
Kevin Kanzler
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cman1120
I am personally done with uhaul myself. I (or rather my buddy) was in a bind earlier this month and his car needed a tow so he opted to go with uhaul. First they hooked up their trailer and boom no lights- they said my trailer wiring was bad or something and said to come back. That night me and my buddy cleaned all the connections on my wiring connectors ect and went back the next day. We hooked up and they said that some of the lights worked but not all of them. They insisted it was some kind of problem with my truck but sure enough- it was their POS trailer that had some bad wiring and lights. At that point I was irritated and almost amused at how naive they were.

What really did me in is when the guy hooking up the trailer (at this uhaul they have to hook you up- you can't do it yourself) decided to pick up my tailgate half way and instead of putting it down gently just let it go and dropped it square on the trailer which mad a massive dent in my tailgate and even damaged their trailer. The best part is the guy said it was my fault and how it came from me instead ect. Needless to say I was pretty angry and so I got a claim going with them which I have not received a call back from their insurance in over two weeks despite me calling at least 3x a week. Because of the bad equipment and bad service (at least around here) I will not go to another uhaul again. Though one can get some amusing stories out of going there
If they did that to me I would blister their *** so bad from yelling they'd give me all the money in the register and have me leave 😂
That sucks, sorry to hear

Old 11-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Kevin Kanzler
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
So you aren't supposed to load the trailer up and do 80?

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup
Haha, my mother last year was going what I estimate 85 in her little single 12ft enclosed. Blew one tire on the way down and one on the way back.
AND I had just put on new fender marker lights! Fenders were a nice find for highway clean up crew

Quick Reply: U-Haul can be so funny!