6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 F350 Towing Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:31 AM
njload
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 F350 Towing Noise

2011 F350 Diesel. 6.7<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
23K on the odometer<o></o>
<o></o>
Just discovered a sound when towing my camper from a dead stop. Sort of like a howling sound and then it stops around 30 mph or so. I did a quick test and stomped on the pedal around 35 mph and didn’t hear anything. Camper weighs around 6K.<o></o>
<o></o>
I called my dealer and first thing they asked was did any lights come on and the answer was no. They said they really can’t do anything to duplicate a noise unless a light in the dash comes on.<o></o>
<o></o>
Question is – has anyone had this happen and what should I look out for, my first thought was the turbo. I have a camping trip coming up in September and it’s going to be at least 6 hours on the road.<o></o>

Old 08-05-2014, 11:12 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would bring it by the dealer....

is it possible it's your fan coming on to cool it down and you've never heard that before?

I know on my previous 250 I only heard the fan probably 3 times in a year and so it was quite a shock

and if I recall it WAS like a howling --- but then again, it could be lot's of other things...

When did it start ?
Did it 'used to do it" ?
does it change with speed ?
can you open the windows and tell where it's coming from ?
Maybe a passenger could help ?

Old 08-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
X2 on the fan....

Also, I'm not so sure that there is a dash light that is connected to a little ear down on the rear end that might happen to hear the howl of the rear end gear set to flip it on!

Some of these "techs" these days really make me shake my friggen head...
WTF ever happened to MECHANICS that used their hands, eyes, ears and skill to determine what the problem was and how to rectify it... Show some of these guys today a carburetor and you may as well have shown them an alien spacecraft..

Old 08-05-2014, 12:31 PM
njload
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replys folks. I have a buddy who owns an older 350 and he also commented on the fan. Big-Foot agree with your thoughts but in defense of the techs, I didn't mention anything about rear end noise.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:09 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by njload
Thanks for the replys folks. I have a buddy who owns an older 350 and he also commented on the fan. Big-Foot agree with your thoughts but in defense of the techs, I didn't mention anything about rear end noise.
Right - but while a GOOD mechanic will listen to the customer and inspect based upon the customer's statements - he does not solely work on that or trust the customer's diagnosis..
Too many times there have been customers that would say "there's a howl coming from under the hood" and the mechanic would replaced alternators, water pumps, belts, fans and more to appease the customer, but the noise is really coming from elsewhere..
So in that case, the mechanic looks like a jerk because the vehicle still howls but has presented the customer a bill for a grand worth of parts that the customer said needed to be replaced.. Well - I hope you get my drift..

Howling under conditions you mentioned could well come from the driveline as well as the fan or potentially other things like tires, etc...