1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1952 F-7 Rear Axle/Wheel Bearing Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 07:13 PM
ktgovols
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
1952 F-7 Rear Axle/Wheel Bearing Repair

A local business in Chattanooga wanted me to bring my ‘52 F-7 Fire Engine to their parking lot during the running of the Chattanooga Ironman race. But my fire engine had other plans. I got about 3 blocks from the shop and I heard a loud sqealing noise, then a loud pop, and then I lost all traction. The truck was in gear, the driveshaft was turning, but I had no motive force. I had to call a tow truck to get pulled back to the shop.

The rear wheel bearing failed, the retaining nut and locking nut backed off. The axle and spindle dislodged from the differential.

I got it disassembled

The brakes weren’t damaged which is good since drums aren’t available and the shoes can only be fixed by being refined.

The outer bearing race would not come off. I had to cut it. I’ll just say here before someone else does, the truck is up on wood cribbing. The jack is just there as a safety.

when the bearing failed, the rollers destroyed the axle nut treads. I was about sick when I saw this. This suddenly became a much bigger project

I got on line searching for “floating axle thread repair”. I found a gentleman named Rodger Garrett in Cookville, TN who owns Axle Repair MD. He emailed me and asked for a few dimensions and told me he could fix this. He drove down to Chattanooga. He cut off the damaged section of the axle tube with the damaged threads and welded on a new threaded spool piece. It took less than 3 hours and half that time was inside the shop waiting on a thunderstorm to pass

I knocked out the old inner and outer bearing cups. I don’t own a press and I didn’t really want to load a 100+ lb or pay someone to do it. However, Publix sells dry ice for $2/lb. At -109 deg F, the new cups all but dropped in with just a few taps using a block of wood and a rubber hammer.

inner and outer bearing cups installed.

The brake drum and spindle have to be bolted together. They easily weigh over 150 lbs. I used an engine hoist to lift and level them and slide them onto the axle tube.
I hand packed the both the inner bearing (before installing the spindle) and the outer bearing.

Install the outer bearing and the adjusting nut. The Ford manual says to tighten the nut until there is drag on the wheel and the loosen it 1/8th turn until it spins freely. Others say to torque the nut to 200 ft-lbs, then loosen it and retorque it to 50 ft-lbs. Then losen it to align the locking tab. I went with the latter method. Then install the lock washer and lock nut. I bent the lock tabs after I took the pic

Axle installed with a new gasket, then the wheels. It was good to pull it back into the shop on its own power

Keith

Old 06-15-2018, 08:26 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Glad that you were able to fix it so easily! I had to do the same thing to the axle in my Dad's '76 F350. The spindle was ok, but the threads were gone. It has been running now for about 20 years with no problems.
Mark

Old 06-15-2018, 09:09 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Thanks for sharing your sad story. Looks like that hub bearing has been run with no lubrication for quite a while. How is the other side and how is the lubrication level in the differential?

Old 06-16-2018, 08:23 AM
ktgovols
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Ray,

That PM is about to get performed in the next week or two. All of the other three wheels are getting disassembled, inspected, the bearings cleaned and hand packed with new grease, and put back together.

I drained all of the oil from the differential yesterday and refilled it with new 140 weight gear oil. When I drained it, it was about 1/2 to 3/4 inch below the fill plug when I stuck my finger in. That is low, but not too terrible. We’ve all seen worse. I filled it back right to the threads. I got to thinking about why the bearings were dry. This isn’t a service truck. It only gets run around every few months in parades and such at low speed and on nice flat level streets. Since it never sees higher speeds, no curves, no hills, etc., I think that is hard on it. The differential oil never gets to splash and slosh around making its way down the tube to the wheel bearings, like it would if it were an actual service engine.

Oh well. Just a theory, but they will all get repacked very soon.

Keith

Old 06-16-2018, 08:31 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by ktgovols
Ray,

That PM is about to get performed in the next week or two. All of the other three wheels are getting disassembled, inspected, the bearings cleaned and hand packed with new grease, and put back together.

I drained all of the oil from the differential yesterday and refilled it with new 140 weight gear oil. When I drained it, it was about 1/2 to 3/4 inch below the fill plug when I stuck my finger in. That is low, but not too terrible. We’ve all seen worse. I filled it back right to the threads. I got to thinking about why the bearings were dry. This isn’t a service truck. It only gets run around every few months in parades and such at low speed and on nice flat level streets. Since it never sees higher speeds, no curves, no hills, etc., I think that is hard on it. The differential oil never gets to splash and slosh around making its way down the tube to the wheel bearings, like it would if it were an actual service engine.
Oh well. Just a theory, but they will all get repacked very soon.
Keith
I agree with your assessment of the problem. The differential needs to be at the correct level for those hubs to lubricate. I can believe that 1/2" to 3/4" low could cause the problem.
Edit: For all our education, please report on the other side hub. thanks

Old 06-16-2018, 11:27 AM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep, that oil level is waaaay low. I had a very similar issue with my mixer's Eaton 1350. The Eaton book (assuming it's an Eaton axle) says to fill to the bottom of the hole, then jack up one side of the truck so many degrees, wait five minutes then fill to the bottom of the hole again. Repeat for the opposite side. That is for oil lubricated bearings that use a lip seal. Grease packed bearings originally used the leather seal.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:50 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Keith,
Thanks for posting the pics & the story. I like stories with happy endings... That looked like a fatal problem but no..
some guy from Cookeville drives down an hour & half to weld up your new axle threads. I would have tried
all sorts of stupid approaches first ...causing even more damage ..nice job over there in Chattanooga!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 01-09-2020, 12:09 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
It's important that everything is true, that being said a lathe would have been the way to go if one was dead set on fixing it. Once it was turned enough so the bearing would slip fit again the next important area is the wall the bearing seats against on the spindle.

Old 01-09-2020, 12:15 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts
Very nice photo-backed story with a happy ending!