1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Lets do it again! 1951 Ford F1 LT1 supercharged, 4L80E, EFI, jag IFS, etc..

Old 05-14-2015, 08:31 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Trans cover raised up to clear the T56 and a cover made for the shifter area. Clears the seat frame ok.

Had this boot on the shelf, swap meet item, I will use it if it stretches tall enough, otherwise I will get a bigger boot. No plans for a console yet for this truck, just have to make up some cup holders.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:48 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Almost 10 months into the build of this truck, I originally wanted to finish by now but once the weather got nice work has slowed down. Put about 300 miles on the 47 caddy this weekend hitting car shows with my daughter and friends, well worth taking a break from pushing on the build. It will be done soon enough.
Also been trying to nudge my buddy to finish up the cab work on truck #1 so I can get back to that build as well.

So been getting some stuff done but nothing earth shattering!

Mocked up some visors from a 2000 or so S10 pickup. Grabbed a couple pairs of the basic visors, no mirrors, no extension, etc.. They fit well with the factory rear view mirror, just have to remove the stickers.

Cutting out the one rust spot on the left door. The skin was removed, metal behind it was sprayed with phosphoric acid to kill the rust, and then a patch was welded in.

Started blasting the inside of the cab to prep for paint. Patina on the outisde, fresh paint on the inside

Old 05-21-2015, 07:49 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Supercharged short block is now at the machine shop, so will be building that engine now as well..probably run this setup first, then maybe next year swap to the SC engine and 4L80e.

Firewall primed

Added some extra tabs for the inner fenders, I am going to lose the connection to the frame rail and just tie the cab.

Firewall painted. Went with black so if I mod the firewall for modern heat and air conditioning it will be an easy paint match.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:27 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
First step on getting the inside painted today! Lots of masking.

Played Jr chemist and mixed up some Ford tractor blue and gloss black to make a medium blue and sprayed the inside of the cab. This is low buck valspar enamel with hardener, got it on clearance last year at tractor supply and have maybe $50 in the paint. Trick to using the cheap stuff is you must use the hardener otherwise the paint will stay soft for a very long time! With the hardener it is already lost its tackiness in 4 hours or so.

Next will be respraying the dash a different blue and silver, then heavy metallic blue flake over that. Then Rhinoliner on the floor.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:33 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Looks good Dave. You always are focused on the task.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:49 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by pweng1
Looks good Dave. You always are focused on the task.
Thanks, I have been slacking and was determined to get the paint done today, weather was perfect.

I am like the color, not sure now if I should of gone darker, but hey its custom
Besides my daughter likes to draw and I told here she can draw anywhere in the truck other than the dash, will be something nice to look back on in the future.
Anything to get your kids involved works for me.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:37 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Last cab patch in the front left corner, was a small hole until I started digging all the dirt out of there over the winter. Turned into a bigger small hole!

Cut out, treated the inside with phosphoric acid, and patched.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:32 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Decided this afternoon was as good a time as any to get something done, so went ahead and sprayed the floor with a quart of Upol raptor liner, just happened to have an extra quart left over from my 47 Cadillac build.

I think I have spent more on masking tape than the paint!

That should be enough for you guys for awhile! Hopefully there are still some guys following this build, 8/4/15 will be the one year anniversary of the build start, shooting to be on the road by then! I will also post up the final cost of the build, I am trying to be good about tracking all costs.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:01 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Dave,
We are following along. I just went to look at a '55 F100 for another member here - asking price $25K....
I think you are doing ok. $50 for paint is a major score. Keep up the momentum Dave!

We are drying out down here - Austin took a pretty good hit yesterday.
Nice to see the sun again today.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 05-27-2015, 01:45 AM
trumph
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep still checking in regularly on your posts, wealth of information, like the cab colour

Old 05-27-2015, 08:22 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Dave,
We are following along. I just went to look at a '55 F100 for another member here - asking price $25K....
I think you are doing ok. $50 for paint is a major score. Keep up the momentum Dave!

We are drying out down here - Austin took a pretty good hit yesterday.
Nice to see the sun again today.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Good to hear you and yours are ok after that mess down there, hope the less fortunate ones recover ok.

Originally Posted by trumph
Yep still checking in regularly on your posts, wealth of information, like the cab colour
Thanks, I will keep on pushing and posting

Old 05-27-2015, 09:16 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Im not sure if i asked this in your other thread, but what are your plans on a floor covering?

Old 05-28-2015, 12:42 AM
burnettd01
Laughing Gas
Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts
Hay Dave

I like the color. Your doing a great job. Keep up the good work on both trucks.

Thanks for your help and encouragement.

Dan

Old 05-28-2015, 03:48 AM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
Hey Dave , what sort of sandblasting equipment are you using as it sure looks more thorough and lot easier than wire wheel or stripping discs ?.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:24 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
Im not sure if i asked this in your other thread, but what are your plans on a floor covering?
Plans are for low buck Lowes "peel and seal" for sound dampening on the floor, then gray carpet from here

80" Wide Ozite Carpet "Graphite Grey"

Supposedly this carpet stretches and is good for fitting over stuff like the floor humps. We will see!

Originally Posted by burnettd01
Hay Dave

I like the color. Your doing a great job. Keep up the good work on both trucks.

Thanks for your help and encouragement.

Dan
Thank you, hope the build thread inspires you to get out and get something done, I know the other member's threads inspire me.

Originally Posted by seaves46
Hey Dave , what sort of sandblasting equipment are you using as it sure looks more thorough and lot easier than wire wheel or stripping discs ?.
In my usual low buck way, I have a good sized compressor that I bought used in like new condition for less than half the new price. It was a backup for a shop and never was used, still has the original price tag on it! Dual stage 7.5HP 80 gallon tank, makes more than enough air. It makes 175 PSI but I regulate it down to 120 at the compressor outlet, then down to 80 at the drop where I connect the blaster.

Blaster is another low buck item, a 110lb pressure blaster from harbor freight. Got it with a coupon so it was about half price.

Now I have read nothing but horrible reviews for these blasters, but I have gotten mine working great. At first I tried using play sand (yes I know about silicosis or however you spell it) but no matter what it was just too wet and would constantly clog up, no good at all.
So I switched to black beauty in the fine grade (red bag) sold at tractor supply.

This stuff works fantastic. I run with the valve on the bottom of the blaster about 1/3 of the way open so not too much material gets pushed out the hose. All other valves wide open. Also this blaster does not come with a dead man valve, it comes with a brass shut off valve, which I made the mistake of using to regulate the media flow and it blew a hole in the side of the valve. So I replaced that valve with a stainless steel one and leave it wide open or fully closed, no more issues. I think newer versions of this blaster are coming with a dead man valve, but mine is ok as is.
I blast onto a tarp and reclaim, screen, and reuse the media 3x. It works great and really takes off paint fast, at least it did on the paint on the truck.
I really dont mind blasting at all, not half the horrible job that many make it out to be.
The media will get everywhere though, so I wear a hair bouffount, filter over my mouth and nose, and a cheap tyvek jumpsuit when blasting.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lets do it again! 1951 Ford F1 LT1 supercharged, 4L80E, EFI, jag IFS, etc..