2014+ Transit 2014+ full size Ford Transit Van, Wagon, Cutaway and Chassis-Cab

Ease of access

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 07:57 AM
asdrew
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ease of access

I am considering a Transit Wagon XLT for a church vehicle, and am wondering if it is suitable for transporting elderly members.

I have driven countless 15 passenger vans and mostly Ford buses for 35 years and was leaning toward an E450 based small bus, but prefer the idea of a full-factory vehicle for long term maintenance reasons (I've had too many issues with converted bus repairs on the road).

I like the split seating layout and once bought a Mark III converted E250 set up like the new Transit Wagon and it was wonderful. Since my local dealer only has the cargo version to look at, I'm hoping someone with a Wagon can give me an idea whether someone older can get in and out easier than in an older van?

I would most likely add an extending step at the door like the Mark III had, and I know my youth would have no issues bounding in and out , but my older members aren't so spry any more.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:15 AM
star gazer
Junior User
There is a Ford Transit USA forum with members who have just stared getting their passenger wagons.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:29 AM
asdrew
Tuned
Originally Posted by star gazer
There is a Ford Transit USA forum with members who have just stared getting their passenger wagons.
Thanks so much, I found it when I read your post :
Ford Transit USA Forum

Old 12-29-2014, 02:17 PM
IndyFan
Junior User
I've owned several 12 and 15 passenger vans, and the Transit is better in every way.

Advantages include: easy access due to lower step in height, better seating access due to an aisle, MUCH more comfortable seats that are individualized (not like a bench), all but rear most seats recline a bit to a comfortable angle, MUCH smoother ride, especially in the rear, excellent rear climate control, and one of the biggest advantages, the mid height roof let's 99% of the population move around standing straight up. This would keep your elderly passengers from having to hunch over when moving to and from the rear seats.

Also, Ford designed this van to have sliding/or split doors on both sides. I'm not sure when it will be offered, but that feature is coming. I can see in mine how it has been designed to accept it. (Probably not as a retrofit, though. It would have to be ordered that way.)

See the thread on Transits in the wild for my pics. Also, let me know if you want any other specific pics or info. I wouldn't even consider the older designs, IMO.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:20 PM
IndyFan
Junior User
One more thing...the taller roofs have huge panoramic windows that make even the rear most seats feel more spacious and less clostophobic. My kids always fought for the front seats, but now fight for the rear. Admittedly, getting away from Mom and Dad plays partly into the equation, I'm sure!

Old 12-29-2014, 02:52 PM
asdrew
Tuned
Thanks IndyFan, Your pics and comments have been the most helpful I've found so far, and your Transit is beautiful.

I finally got a chance to drive to the nearest dealer who had one on the lot, and I'm quite impressed (enough to no longer consider $10k more for a converted E350). I predict that Ford is going to do quite well with these

The one I checked out was a 15 passenger mid-roof 350XL with a few options:
http://www.inventory.ford.com/servic...AX2CG4FKA28289

It appears getting in and out with the addition of an extra step and/or grab handle(s) will be acceptable - maybe I'll take one of my "target" members in to see it and see how they like getting in and out

Hopefully a bigger variety of wagons will show up on the lots here in Orlando so I can make some decisions on trim level, options, etc.

Now to get the elders to come up with some $$ to add to their initial support...

Old 12-29-2014, 03:10 PM
IndyFan
Junior User
Originally Posted by asdrew
Thanks IndyFan, Your pics and comments have been the most helpful I've found so far, and your Transit is beautiful.

I finally got a chance to drive to the nearest dealer who had one on the lot, and I'm quite impressed (enough to no longer consider $10k more for a converted E350). I predict that Ford is going to do quite well with these

The one I checked out was a 15 passenger mid-roof 350XL with a few options:
http://www.inventory.ford.com/servic...AX2CG4FKA28289

It appears getting in and out with the addition of an extra step and/or grab handle(s) will be acceptable - maybe I'll take one of my "target" members in to see it and see how they like getting in and out

Hopefully a bigger variety of wagons will show up on the lots here in Orlando so I can make some decisions on trim level, options, etc.

Now to get the elders to come up with some $$ to add to their initial support...
My Mother-in-law is elderly, and she loves it. The grab handles and step makes it much easier on her. It is lower than our Chevy Express was, so she has a point of comparison.

Get the dealer to loan it to you and take a few of your clientele on a ride. My bet is that the feedback they give you will sway the elders. I'm guessing you'd get long service out of it, whether with a diesel or gas engine, making it a smart investment. The savings over the converted E-series are significant. I never imagined actually looking forward to driving a big van like this, but I really do. It has the most comfortable driving position I've ever experienced, in any vehicle, and I'm 6'5" tall!

I hope it works out for you!