1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

An update on my oil problem

Old 09-06-2014, 11:33 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
You have to remember that EOT is taking in between hpop and oil cooler. If you're seeing 220* the oil at the injector is a little hotter and thinner

Old 09-06-2014, 03:20 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
The lowest tstat I could find was a 190° for the IH wp. My coolant is 210° when my oil is in the mid 220°'s. I'm afraid to look on Joey's site to see what duals would cost but I have to back out because of EGT's anyway. So, I don't see making any changes would do me any good except for water and oil cooler.

My bucking was slight, like when the tuner has the throttle response up to high, so in cruise it bucks.
I've looked at the price of duals a couple times. Ugh, I hope Joey can help me out and I don't have to go that route. I emailed him again a little bit ago since I haven't heard from him. I'm guessing he's gonna want my pump to check it out. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see. If so that will have to wait a couple months.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:25 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
For some reason I couldn't edit so another post.

My water was running 180 most all the time, creeped to 190 on the big hills. My oil was 180-190, then 190-200 on the big hills. Pretty much the same difference as you Glenn, just a little lower means it was nice. That's how it is when its hot too, maybe 10 degrees hotter on the oil side.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:28 PM
TerminatorEng.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darin, I agree with Travis. I don't think the oil reservoir spacer will help with this issue. If you need more capacity in the reservoir with a single pump, you may have a LPOP problem(volume supply). FWIW, I don't like the Melling LPOP. I had a bad experience with one, so never again. Talking with a few Dealers and friends with shops, they don't either, so I stay with OEM.

So, a couple questions: Your trouble is only when ICP is above 2800psi? If so, why not ask a Tuner for a 2800psi tune(or lower) and see if the stumble goes away, then we can make the next assumption/guess. I'm wondering what condition the injector poppet vlalves are in. If they bleed off at high pressure, that will cause DC to increase, because pressure commanded is not being met. Make sense?

Just a thought.

Thanks,
Joey@TE

Old 09-07-2014, 01:37 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TerminatorEng.
Darin, I agree with Travis. I don't think the oil reservoir spacer will help with this issue. If you need more capacity in the reservoir with a single pump, you may have a LPOP problem(volume supply). FWIW, I don't like the Melling LPOP. I had a bad experience with one, so never again. Talking with a few Dealers and friends with shops, they don't either, so I stay with OEM.

So, a couple questions: Your trouble is only when ICP is above 2800psi? If so, why not ask a Tuner for a 2800psi tune(or lower) and see if the stumble goes away, then we can make the next assumption/guess. I'm wondering what condition the injector poppet vlalves are in. If they bleed off at high pressure, that will cause DC to increase, because pressure commanded is not being met. Make sense?

Just a thought.

Thanks,
Joey@TE
I've got a set of injectors in my OBS that do that right now. I changed the tunes to command 2700psi to get around it. No more stuttering.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:57 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by TerminatorEng.

Just a thought.

Thanks,
Joey@TE
I swore on the first hill I climbed I was only seeing 2600-2700 psi and the dc was continually raising. I suppose I could have some injector wear. I got the budget stage one upgrade from Jim (no other injector work, just the stage one upgrade) when I did the injectors about 20k ago. They were in good enough shape then according to Jim but that doesn't mean they are now. Maybe its time to pull them and send them to Jim again. The truck has 160k on it.

I shouldn't need to ask for lower psi tunes if I get everything working as it should, correct?

With the melling, wish I would have known that before. I have less bucking problems with this pump than I did with the stock one so it's staying on for now. That in itself makes me believe I'm running the res down as that was the only change made. I also have better oil pressure. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not. The res spacer is going on anyway.

Thoughts?

Old 09-07-2014, 08:44 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
I swore on the first hill I climbed I was only seeing 2600-2700 psi and the dc was continually raising. I suppose I could have some injector wear. I got the budget stage one upgrade from Jim (no other injector work, just the stage one upgrade) when I did the injectors about 20k ago. They were in good enough shape then according to Jim but that doesn't mean they are now. Maybe its time to pull them and send them to Jim again. The truck has 160k on it.

I shouldn't need to ask for lower psi tunes if I get everything working as it should, correct?

With the melling, wish I would have known that before. I have less bucking problems with this pump than I did with the stock one so it's staying on for now. That in itself makes me believe I'm running the res down as that was the only change made. I also have better oil pressure. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not. The res spacer is going on anyway.

Thoughts?
If you think its running the res dry, which it shouldn't be, you can remote feed the res from the side of the block into the spacer or the fill plug on top as well. That's what many do a lot of times with dual pumps when they don't want to dump the IPR back into the res.

I'd get the injectors looked at. The pump should have no problem with stage 1s..

Old 09-09-2014, 04:00 PM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
We can test the injectors at a higher psi and see how they react if you want.
The flow bench is a great tool but no guarantees that we will find any issues.
If you are able to borrow/use a cut-out box, when it stumbles start shutting the injectors off one at a time and see if you can narrow it further to a single injector. that way if we test and don't find anything, you can try a whole different injector and at least have a direction to go.

Let me know what we can do.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 09-09-2014, 06:15 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Thanks Jim. It doesn't stumble very much at all, just at the top of those big hills I pulled. It used to stumble more with the stock lpop with lower oil pressure than now, that is the reason I think the res is running dry. There is no way I could test it as it is just one or two bucks now, where before it bucked a lot worse. I don't notice anything at higher icp except for the big hills.

I really don't know what to do. I've got a couple months to figure something out. Would still take any more advice.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:06 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
I did not read your whole thread, but have you run a mechanical pressure gauge from the top of the HPOil res? This will tell you if the res is running dry.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 09-11-2014, 08:22 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by DZL JIM
I did not read your whole thread, but have you run a mechanical pressure gauge from the top of the HPOil res? This will tell you if the res is running dry.
That's a good idea.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:25 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DZL JIM
No, Jim, I have not. That's a good idea, but I'm not going to be making that trip with the trailer anymore this year so there is no way I can now either. I'll be going to the other track at least once more but there are no big hills that way.

Ugh. I wanna take care of this this winter. I postponed my tunes from php for my hydra until I decide what to do.